PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!!!!

mookyjordan
16-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Hello everyone :)

Just wanted some advice.....I have just been given notice (October 14th) that a little boy I look after is leaving. She rang me and then gave me a nice letter the next day. She knows it's a month's notice and expected to be invoiced at the end of the month. However, I've invoiced for the whole of November. Is this ok?! She thought she'd given notice from when she called so would therefore only be paying up to mid November. However, I am on holiday in 1/2 term so that's not a full week for a start.

What do you think?

Thanks loads.

Sarah :rolleyes:

FizzysFriends
16-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I think you need to do it exactly as the contract states. You can't round it up to the nearest end of the month.

The Juggler
16-10-2009, 01:02 PM
It's 4 weeks notice from date of notice letter whether mid or end month. If they give notice mid month you just work out the date four weeks forward. If you invoice her for all of November she will be paying for a 6/7 week notice period, which is outside of the terms of your contract I would imagine.

However, normally notice period cannot include a period of holiday. My belief is that if you gave notice you would have to offer a full four weeks of work. Likewise, if parents give notice they need to bring child or pay you for a full four weeks.

However, in your case parents have given notice and you are taking holiday - I think you should check with NCMA but I assume you are allowed/entitled to work and be paid for a full four weeks. So if they are paying you through your holiday days anyway I would personally not argue the toss over the extra days.

However, if you don' t charge for your holidays though I would add the number of days holidays you are taking to the end of the four weeks and that would give you your finish date.

Hope that helps (and makes sense!)

mookyjordan
16-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks!

Just so bogged down with it all, can't think anymore!!

Have amended - 4 weeks from given notice and my holiday (which I don't charge for) has to also be paid.

Thanks.
:)

The Juggler
17-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks!

Just so bogged down with it all, can't think anymore!!

Have amended - 4 weeks from given notice and my holiday (which I don't charge for) has to also be paid.

Thanks.
:)

be careful how you word it to your parent or she might think you are charging her for your holiday that she wouldn't normally have paid for.

I would rather explain that because your holiday comes in the middle of notice period and you are not paid for holiday, you have extended the notice period by x number of days to give you a full four weeks paid notice - which you are entitled to. Does that make sense?

Chatterbox Childcare
17-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Can't add anything else but hope it all works out okay

Merry-Minder
20-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I think ' The Juggler' has hit the nail on the head!

Good luck. x