PDA

View Full Version : Times

Mrs Book
15-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Have been thinking about times.

I know I may get asked to have children before, but I was thinking of 8 - 5.30? Will do before if people want. But would quite like not to have to do later than 5.30. This way I can have some time with my boys before bed and listen to reading etc.

So was thinking. I could then do tea about 4.45-5. If parent's think this is too early then they can feed children when get home.

I know it will take a lot of organising and will have to be things that I don't have to take ages cooking. Stuff that can be batch cooked.

Do you guys think that is ok. Sorry I've got such a lot going through head..

Know I'm going to be one of those who just scrapes through on the good boardering on the crap side of childminding.

babs
15-10-2009, 11:07 PM
set ur times to suit u ...mine are from 7 till 6 mon to fri althou at moment i do 8 till 5 mon to fri .....

Mrs Book
15-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Gosh couldn't do 7am. Have enought problems getting up as it is lol lol.

8-5 or 5.30 is just a nice time. Know I will have to be flexible, but can just hope for these hours.

little daisies
16-10-2009, 05:14 AM
i`ve got mug across my forehead. i do 5.00am - 8.00pm monday to saturday. no wunder i`m always knackered:)

sweets
16-10-2009, 07:04 AM
i dont start till 8 as thats just the way its worked out with the parents i have. i really wouldnt want to start earlier! my last child is picked up by 5-5,30 but is usually around 5. i really wouldnt want them later either! lol.
By 4 o clock then we wind down and the tv goes on. i dont do tea for them as i think they should have it with parents but i do give them a decent snack like toast at around 3 to keep them going.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-10-2009, 07:06 AM
You will set your times and if someone wants until 6 you can decide if it is for you.

Where I am parents want until 6 and I start at 7.00am

little miss chatterbox
16-10-2009, 07:15 AM
I do 8-5 monday to thursday.
I prefer not to work past 5 but i know that's not always possible however I've been lucky! I used to work till 5.30 but changed to 5 when that child left.

I'm very set with my times as I want a day off with my daughter and I like the evenings with my girls.

You set what times suit you that's why we do this job afterall. We need some degree of flexibility but you need to suit you and your family too

miffy
16-10-2009, 07:18 AM
I work 8am until 5.30pm - I have worked until 6pm but hated the last half hour so now only do those hours. I don't start before 8am unless it's a one-off like parent on a course or going to a meeting.

You have to do what fits in best with your family. Good luck

Miffy xx

daisyboo1980
16-10-2009, 07:50 AM
i work 8 - 6 mon-thurs and 9-6 on a fri but usually they are picked up abt 5.30 i trying to get pregnant at the min and when i do im going to adjust hours and maybe lose some aferschoolers going to suit myself better then

Polly2
16-10-2009, 07:55 AM
I do 7.45 til 4 or 5 some days. I set my hours at 8-4 but then became more flexible as parents wished.

Sometimes its good to see what parents want generally but if you want to finish at 5.30 then stick to that especailly if you have your own family.

huggableshelly
16-10-2009, 07:58 AM
my official opening hours are 7:30 - 5:30

i do stretch from 7am till 7pm to but not on a daily basis as like you i need time with my own children too.

its your buisness set your own hours to what you wish to work and stick to them cuz once you decide to keep a child later the others will want later pickup times too.

angeldelight
16-10-2009, 08:02 AM
I think you do what hours suit you and your family

Sometimes though it does not work out like that and could depend on your own situation at a certain time

I always said I would never work before 8am but when I had no children I was more than happy to start at 7 in the mornings to get the job

So you might just have to wait and see and see how it goes if you did get an enquiry out of the hours that you wanted to do - if you have no work at that time you might find yourself more than happy to do it

Good luck

Angel xxx

SandCastles
16-10-2009, 08:03 AM
When I first started 8 months ago, I advertised that I would open 7am to 6pm and I have got 2 full timers because of my opening hours.
On a monday evening I go to college and literally run out of the door as soon as last mindee leaves. Thankfully the mum is really good at time keeping and so far I haven't been late.
Working 11 hours a day pays my wages and as my 2 year old is with me all day, his bed time has been pushed back to 7pm and it gives him more time to read books and wallow in the bath. Take some time to think about your opening hours, no point starting at 7am if you are too tired and grumpy in the morning, or finishing at 6pm if you need to go to college or rush off somewhere.

TheBTeam
16-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I assess what hours I am prepared to work depending on what the demand is and how much business I already have, what my commitments are at the time, I advertise from 7.30 to 6pm but also state that other arrangements may be possible.

atmkids
16-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I work from 7.30 til 6pm but given the choice would much rather do 8-5 to spend more time with my own children. Problem is when you get an enquiry and you've got a space it's sometimes hard to say no :blush:

The Juggler
17-10-2009, 08:07 AM
I would like 8-5 but have always ended up (from time to time) doing 7.30 starts or 6pm finishes.

I have a mix at the moment which suits fine but would put my foot down at earlier than 7am.

Angela234
17-10-2009, 08:19 AM
My stated hours are 7am - 7 pm

at the moment the latest i work is 7.45- 5.45

earliest i have started is 7.30am and latest 6.30pm

Carol M
17-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I advertise open 8 till 6 but say earlier start or later finish times by arrangement so this is open for discussion.
I did at one stage have before schoolers start at 7,three under 2's arriving between 7 and 8 whilst trying to do breakfast for the older ones,and whilst trying to get my own teenagers out of bed!! NIGHTMARE! All this before getting in car for school run and delivering to different schools!
You learn what suits pretty quickly!
Think carefully
Carol :)
p.s Also registered for overnight care but will only do this for regulars occasionally as this does impact on my family.

ChocolateChip
17-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Same as Carol, I advertise normal hours 8-6 but extra requirements may be discussed.

It's better to be seen as doing someone a favour than to be thought of as inflexible ;) (you can then also charge extra outside these hours if you want)

Zoomie
17-10-2009, 08:29 PM
My fixed hours are 8-5.

I do have one mindee who comes (as and when) for a 7am start, and another mindee who needs care till 5.15 - both these parents get charged my premium rate for these outside hours.

Your own family time is precious.

manjay
17-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I started off with 8 - 6 but now the latest I have leaves at 5:15 and I have just changed my opening hours. My youngest is 3 and I wasn't getting enough time with him before he was ready for bed. I am flexible and will do one offs but not regularly outside of these times.

Pudding Girl
17-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't have fixed opening hours as such - I am happy to negotiate different hours depending on who I have on which day and for how long, and what people want.

Earliest I have ever started is 7.30am, latest I have finished is 10.30pm.

madasahatter
18-10-2009, 12:34 PM
So was thinking. I could then do tea about 4.45-5. If parent's think this is too early then they can feed children when get home.

If you were thinking of finishing at 5pm on a regular basis then to be honest I wouldn't offer tea unless you feed you own children at this time.....don't make extra unnecessary work for yourself.

My 'published' opening times are 7.30 to 5.30. I have only provided tea occasionally eg I used to provide after school care for 2 sisters who went straight from my house, once a week to brownies, so they needed their tea early. Otherwise I make it clear to parents that we eat as a family at 6 to 6.30pm and so don't provide an evening meal but I do provide a good after school snack to keep their children going until their own teatime (fruit followed by toast, sandwiches etc).

There is no right and wrong, you just have to decide what is going to fit in with your own family life. If I started providing tea for my mindees we wouldn't have time to do craft activities etc with the after schoolies. Something has to give even if we are superwomen!!

Minstrel
18-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree. I do dinner at 5.30pm because thats what fits in with MY household. I have 2 that leave at 5pm so I give them an after school snack and just feed the one that stays until 630pm. I cant imagine do two dinners or keep changing it about depending on the day/week. I like my routine and so do the children xx

Lincsminder
18-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I used to work till 6pm but found it was inpacting on my own children too much and tea time was a nightmare. Trying to cook and supervise didn't allways work too well and some kids went at 4.30 half way through a meal.. So now I finish at 5.30ish and provide an after school snack which will keep all the children going until they go home and my family can eat together at 6pm

Merry-Minder
19-10-2009, 09:37 AM
My hours are 7.30 - 6pm, although I dont mind being more flexible in the morning, but I think 6pm is late enough, but all of this depends on what money I have coming in at the time, and whether it would mean turning work away for the sake of an extra couple of hours.
I would play it by ear and see what enquiries you get.

PS. I bet you are doing much better than you think you are!!!

mumx3
20-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I charge a daily fee between 8am and 5.30 pm and then charge a higher hourly rate if they want before or after that.

So far all my mindees are gone by 5 or 530. Though I am a new one wanting til 6.30. I am doing it as I need the business and it is only 2 days a week. But am charging extra.

suzyblue
21-10-2009, 07:16 AM
I do 8.00 - 6.00. I live just outside London and its the times that parents want. Gives them time to get back if they finish at 5. I have done earlier in the past but I wouldnt consider doing later then 6.00