PDA

View Full Version : A thousand questions....

Linzipinzi
15-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,
ok firstly this is my first time using a forum like this so bear with me if I'm not quite 'with it'!

I have just started looking into childminding although I have been looking after my niece on a regular basis for a while now. My sister has recently become self employed and has been told she can get help with chilminding costs providing she uses a registered childminder, which I am not!

So I'm just wondering how easy the process is in becomming registered? As I absolutely love children and it might be nice to look after a few more in addition to my niece!

I'm only 19 does anybody know if this will be a problem? With 11 brothers and sisters I honestly believe I'm as capable as most to look after children despite my age!

Also I live in a very small (almost cabin style) house. Could this cause problems? My stairway is also very dangerous! There is no hand rail and it's and open stair case! I know this problem will be solved with stair gates but would this put ofsted off?

Another worry is my inability to drive. Do you have to drive to childmind? My partner is a postman so finishes his own job very early and will be able to drive for trips out ect (I do have a park within walking distance).

I would also appreciate any info on how much the whole becomming registered process costs, most sites seem to be very vague! How much are the courses and first aid courses?

Also how extreme does the safety of your house have to be? Granted cupboard locks, stair gates ect. But do they fuss about corners of your coffee table being covered and such?

For anyone who has got this far, thankyou for your time! Any help would be very appreciated! This is the perfect job for me i'm so passionate about kids and as I'm not quite ready to be a mum, maybe this could help keep my tingling overies for a while!

Many thanks,
linzi x x x

Daddy Day Care
15-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Hiya Linzi

First of all welcome to the forum :)

You will find more experienced people coem along and answer your questions but ill give it a try.

The prcoess to become registered isnt hard, but can be timely, i started the registartion process in october last year and got registered in june this year.

Your age isnt a problem, dont know the minimum age but I know childminders who are 18, so 19 is fine.

My house is small, it may affect the amount of children your allowed to look after but it should affecft your registration. as far as the nad rail goes do you have a toilet downstairs? do you need to use upstairs at all?. if you dont need to use upstiars and you can safely corodn it off it shouldnt be a problem.

I dont drive, you dont need to be able to drive, the only rela problem is that i can only do 1 school, where as if i drove i could maybe pick up from 2 schools.

Registartion costs depends on where you live, its a postcode lottery, i had fre trianing where i am from, so it didnt cost anything, othr areas get start up grants where others get nothing.

On the safety aspect you have to risk assess everytihng, any dangers at all to the children you need to ahve a risk assesment in place showing how your gonig top deal with the risk.

As I said someone more experiecned will come long but hope this helps

Gareth
xx

PixiePetal
15-10-2009, 09:30 PM
For a newbie you answered those well Gareth :thumbsup:

Linzipinzi - Get the process started and see what your area offers as Gareth says it can take some time.

Come on the forum for lots of advice, people really know their stuff or can point you in the right direction. You have come to the right place :)

babs
15-10-2009, 09:37 PM
hi linzi, RE:safety. i put locks on my kitchen cupboards but was told there was really no need as long as u risk asses and watch,just told to maybe put sharp knifes in a box and cleaning stuff in high cupboard when minding , i also emptied my water feature in garden and was told it was ok as would be good for kids to poke around in in summer:= insects and all and the frogs we get in garden thought they were goin to be really strict was wrong...

Cazz
15-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Hello and welcome!

Just wanted to add that it doesn't always take as long as Gareth's registration. Mine was 7 weeks from the time of posting the forms to receiving my certificate!

Chatterbox Childcare
16-10-2009, 07:19 AM
No wanting to scare you off but childminding is a time consuming and demanding profession.

I would advise you to contact your local council, Early Years, and go on an induction evening where everything will be explained to you and then when you are more informed make a decision.

It is a very rewarding profession as well, both monetry and emotionally and if you are at all in doubt I would say "have a go".

mama2three
16-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Everyones already given great advice , but the first step should be to ring your local family information service .. they have all the information on what is available in your area , dates for briefing sessions , funding etc. Im lucky enough to have had free training and first aid , and a grant to cover some expenses , Im in Notts. As others said there isnt one rule for all areas! Good Luck , chilminding is tiring , frustrating , stressful ...and incredibly rewarding. Not doing much to curb my broodiness but it may work for you!

gegele
16-10-2009, 08:50 AM
hello,

i was working and i did everything backward so registering cost me a fortune!!!!
as advice before you need to attend an briefing session where they would explain the whole process to you and answer all your question. every place have different rules.

as gareth said maybe you can not use upstairs, if you do you will have to have a banister as it's too dangerous.
for the corner and all that it all depends on where and what there are. the children have to learn as well.

childminding involve a lot more than babysitting, be aware that it is a real job and in my experience the more demanding of them all!.

good luck:thumbsup: