PDA

View Full Version : Halloween and Bonfire Night

Bex1
15-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions for the above? My children are 2 1/2 and 22 mths and 18 mths! I dont know what to do other than maybe get black paper and chalks to make firework pictures!

Thanks
Becky

Chatterbox Childcare
15-10-2009, 08:24 AM
We are making rockets from toilet roll holders with streamers coming out of the bottom. These are used in nursery rhymes along the lines of the wheels on the bus with the riocket in the sky goes up up up etc..

We have also linked Space Chimps film with it as it is a favourite.

Bex1
15-10-2009, 08:33 AM
I did think about toilet roll holders but was told by another CM that we are not allowed to use toilet rolls because they are not clean (like egg boxes!) so was worried about using them! I suppose I can use kitchen roll holders!

Becky

angeldelight
15-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Some ideas here

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18943&highlight=BONFIRE+NIGHT+LINKED+TO+EYFS

Angel xx

angeldelight
15-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I did think about toilet roll holders but was told by another CM that we are not allowed to use toilet rolls because they are not clean (like egg boxes!) so was worried about using them! I suppose I can use kitchen roll holders!

Becky

The reality
This story started after a school briefly banned children from using cardboard egg boxes to make things, threatening years of Blue Peter tradition. They were concerned that children might catch salmonella.
Within a few days the school realised there was guidance from the County Council and an organisation for teachers called CLEAPSS, making clear that as long as egg boxes and toilet roll centres look clean, there is no reason why they should not be used.
Just another storm in an egg cup…

Angel xxx

Zoemum2four
15-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Tonight we are making ghost, using paper cup putting tissuse paper over the top and sticking on googly eyes and then hanging them with a piece of black or white wool, simple and easy for the short time i have with some of my mindees...... u could use the same idea to make a witch aswell.........think the ideas i found, on the activity village web site. www.activityvillage.com

Zoemum2four
15-10-2009, 12:17 PM
We are making rockets from toilet roll holders with streamers coming out of the bottom. These are used in nursery rhymes along the lines of the wheels on the bus with the riocket in the sky goes up up up etc..

We have also linked Space Chimps film with it as it is a favourite.

Like ur idea debbies26 :thumbsup:

Bex1
15-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for clarification :) firework models it is then! As for salmonella I only know too well about that as me and DD have had suspected salmonella after eating a 'dodgy' egg at a local pub earlier in the week..its been a rough few days in this household and DD has been the worse affected :(

Halloween idea sounds good although I dont think I will celebrate halloween with my little ones after all as they are still quite small and I am not really sure they know about it and probably will end up frightened! Certainly when my DD was 1 last year at the time of Halloween she had no idea what the fuss was about and also why dressed up children came knocking at the door ;)

Is it 'expected' by Ofsted we celebrate this? My little ones are all under 2 1/2!

avril
15-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Mister maker has just been on and I'm borrowing an idea off him;)

Thick card, paint, little water.

Add a small amount of water to paint so it can run then pour a thick line of it across the card (with a big dollop in the middle for the head) and tip so it runs down the paper.
Easy and it made a very good ghost shape, eyes and mouth were added once dry!

angeldelight
15-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Mister maker has just been on and I'm borrowing an idea off him;)

Thick card, paint, little water.

Add a small amount of water to paint so it can run then pour a thick line of it across the card (with a big dollop in the middle for the head) and tip so it runs down the paper.
Easy and it made a very good ghost shape, eyes and mouth were added once dry!

I saw that and thought he cheated ha ha ha

xxx

PixiePetal
15-10-2009, 02:50 PM
I saw that and thought he cheated ha ha ha

xxx

Might give that a try :thumbsup: thanks the ghost that is, not cheating :laughing:

Tink
15-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I love this time of year: halloween, bonfire night the Christmas it's so exciting.
I too love Mr Maker he's fab.
I have a 3 year old that comes to me and we were talking about halloween. I asked him what he would like to do? he said "i don't like ghosts, but can we do zombies"!!!!! WHAT.

I think i'll stick to cats, bats, witches hats, pumpkins etc.

singlewiththree
15-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I have an 18mth old and we are doing pumpkin plates (orange paint, green paper on top, stick on eyes and draw on a mouth)

Firework pics - like you chalk on black paper

Might have a go at making a firework with him but he doesn't sit still that long.

Dragonfly
15-10-2009, 07:48 PM
wet chalk is better more effective without any dust!!, soak chalk in little water for 20 mins empty water and use chalk Brill:thumbsup:

Carol
15-10-2009, 08:48 PM
wet chalk is better more effective without any dust!!, soak chalk in little water for 20 mins empty water and use chalk Brill:thumbsup:

Never tried that will give it a go thanks

Carol xx

Maguiresmonkeys
16-10-2009, 12:39 PM
We have made some spiders this week as part of our halloween display.

We mixed together black paint and some sand (to make it textured), we painted the palms of our hands (both hands) and printed them side by side (palm down and thumbs together IYSWIM?????) This- if you do it right makes a spider shape (fingers for legs and thumbs for intenners (sp)), we then stuck googly eye on a some sprinkled glitter on the wet paint. All the kids loved making them!
We then did ball painting with white paint on black card to make webs for the spiders.

Hope this makes sense!!!lol

helenlc
19-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I got some Halloween shaped cookie cutters so will make some biscuits. Maybe some salt dough shapes to paint too.

Toilet roll rockets. Black paper/card with lolly sticks for fire wood, and red, yellow and orange tissue paper for flames.

I have black t-shirts and fabric paint to do some fire work pictures on them.

Doing pumpkin paper plates at toddler group this Thursday.

On Friday at cm drop, its my turn to do the craft and I have the colour orange. Going to do a pumpkin collage with lots of different orange coloured materials including orange rice!!!

Willowdancer
20-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, with my older mindees (before I found out I'm only having them for a few days instead of the whole holiday) I had planned to do:

Spider puppets - my own version of this (http://www.littlecraftybugs.co.uk/moredetails.asp?sid=littlecraftybugs&returnURL=/moredetails.asp&lcb=Y&itemid=9069&group2id=382&subxgroupid=382&y=y&checked=True&bid=756119184) but with black pom poms, beads and pasta tubes.

Creepy popcorn hands - clear polythene glove with a piece of candy corn in the bottom of each finger for nails and then stuffed with popcorn and tied up with an elastic band or some stick tape.

Apple pumpkin prints - cut an apple in half vertically and leave the seeds in. Dip into orange paint and stamp onto paper so it leaves a pumpkin shape (the seed area should look a bit like a nose) and then fill in features with black paint later.)

Skeleton pictures with black card and white chalks.

Planted cauldrons (pinched that one off somebody here but can't remember who it was - sorry! Fab idea though!!)

Halloween shaped biccies.

And then...after I've carved my pumpkin I was going to...

Dry the seeds out, and use them to make patterns in clay squares, then bake and paint them.

Use the scooped out flesh to make pumpkin muffins.

How can you tell my mindees are very artsy-craftsy!! :laughing: Bit bummed that they won't be here now but I'll still do it all with my kids as I've already bought most of the stuff needed to make that lot - spider puppets pending the discovery of a shop somewhere in our town that happens to stock pasta tubes (and I mean rigatoni rather than penne/quills!! :rolleyes: )

Oh and for fireworks the only thing I've planned so far is a version of this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/smart/makes/steps/make_series13_plate.shtml), except with black paper plates and glitter glue pens to make catherine wheels.

miffy
20-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Some great ideas there - thanks

Miffy xx

Rach30
20-10-2009, 08:57 PM
You could make sparklers........Get a straw and tape Lengths of curlying ribbon (stuff you tie round xmas presents from wilkos) to the end of it and wave it about. Great for any kind of dancing activity too.

Get some pumpkins , butternut squash , indian corn , basically anytype of autum veg and leave it on the floor for kids to feel and roll about. Really basic but also effective .

lesley
21-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Plain biscuits, icing,place cut up liqurice for spiders web and place a sweet spider on top. We did this today at CM group.

Chocolate fingers - quickly placed into hot water, than let the children put into 100s and 1000s - you then have a sparklers.

Lesley

Annie_T
23-10-2009, 07:49 AM
I found these
http://greatlittleminds.com/pages/coloring/pumpkin-1-color-yourself.html

http://www.trinityfammau.org.uk/fun%20items/colouring/p-pumpkin.gif

http://www.trinityfammau.org.uk/fun%20items/colouring/rocket.gif
(colour only parts that have dots in it - makes rocket)

russell
26-10-2009, 08:34 AM
go to dltk growing together and just follow for festivals and halloween will come up .some really good ideas all split up into sections, ghosts on one ,owls on another etc and it gives crafts by age ,and it covers all sorts of reducational subjects as well,I printed the owl of and it gives suggestions about talking about the shapes and everything so covers parts eyfs as well :) :) :) :)

sarah707
01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Bumping for November planning :D

Heaven Scent
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Becky

Poppy **** - go on the HSE website and take a look at the Myths section and you will see that both toilet roll inners and egg boxes are totally safe