PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about childminding...

Jenbuloo
14-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Hiya :)

I've just joined this site as I'm really keen to become a childminder but have a few questions if anyone could be so kind as to help me out!

I only want to mind children up to the age of 0-11 years, can I do this? Or do I need to be open to children of all ages?

I have a 3 storey house and plan to make one bedroom into a playroom, do they need to have a room just for sleeping or can they just have cots, readybeds etc in our living room?

I don't drive but am in walking distance of toddler groups and playgroups, do you think this would put people off?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

sweets
14-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi welcome to the forum

you can mind any age of children you want, i only mind LO's and dont do school runs

The children dont need a specific room for sleeping but will need a quiet area somewhere. the problem you may have with having a bedroom as a playroom is preparing lunch etc, is the playroom on the same floor as the kitchen?

Not driving doesn't/shouldnt put people off, plenty of minders don't drive, personally i couldnt do without my car tho as i'm lazy:laughing: lol

singlewiththree
14-10-2009, 08:14 PM

I've just joined this site as I'm really keen to become a childminder but have a few questions if anyone could be so kind as to help me out!

I only want to mind children up to the age of 0-11 years, can I do this? Or do I need to be open to children of all ages?

Its your business so you can set out what age range you want to work from

I have a 3 storey house and plan to make one bedroom into a playroom, do they need to have a room just for sleeping or can they just have cots, readybeds etc in our living room?
A child can sleep anywhere providing it is safe, secure and the parent has agreed. I have a travel cot on my landing and pushchairs in my hallway, bedroll mat for the living room floor. As for making the bedroom into a playroom you just need to make sure you risk assess how you would get children of different ages up and down the stairs, and what would happen in the event of an emergency like a fire.

I don't drive but am in walking distance of toddler groups and playgroups, do you think this would put people off?
Most parents seem happier for me not to use the car, we walk as much as we can as I don't have a 7 seater so can only use the car when I have 1 mindee as have 3 children of my own

Feel free to ask any more questions we have all been there and are happy to help.

Jenbuloo
14-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for your replies!

With regard to the playroom - it would be on the second floor whereas the kitchen is on the first, however I am also hoping to make half of the garage into a room so that they have somewhere to be whilst I am preparing food. The garage room could then also be used for messy activities like painting and sand and water when the garden is inaccessible due to the weather - do you think that would be ok?

huggableshelly
15-10-2009, 06:46 AM
it sounds like you are great at organising and planning ahead, be careful not to change things too much due to cost, remember you can write up a plan of things you intend to do once fees are flowing in.

kitchen problem :
are you planning to provde hot meals meaning you are in the kitchen for long periods of time?

I only provide cold lunches, Parents must provide additional food in a microwave safe pot if they want their child to have hot food, this means I'm not tied to the kitchen for long sessions. also think about when you need to pop down to the kitchen to fill up a juice cup can you safely manage to get all of the children down with you? maybe look at having a unit where you can store a jug or water/juice within th designated room otherwise you will be a constant yoyo with mindees in tow.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-10-2009, 08:16 AM

This is your option and no one can tell you that you need to go older

You can put the cots where you want to as long as it doesn't affect either the sleeping child or the others playing. Personally I get mine into a routine of going to sleep in the bedroom so that older children can play.

Exercise is good and a great selling point.

Hi and welcome

PixiePetal
15-10-2009, 08:24 AM
You are already thinking like a childminder - always one step ahead! Being prepared.

I don't drive and it's never been a problem. We walk a lot or catch buses/trains further afield - something the kids enjoy as they don't often do it with parents :)

Jenbuloo
15-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I was planning on helping my husband pre-prepare meals so that I just have to heat them up as he used to be a chef! That way it won't be too time consuming. And I will have a drinks water cooler in the playroom so that older ones can help themselves to drinks and we don't have to keep going up and down the stairs all day long. Do I need to have a stair gate restricting access to the kitchen, or can I leave it open so long as I have an oven guard, cupboard locks etc?

Thanks again for your help :)