PDA

View Full Version : How to word this possibly negative obs and next step

gigglinggoblin
07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Could really do with some help please!

I have a mindee who is very confident at moving around, he has a tendency to just plough through/over anything in the way. While the confidence is great he is constantly standing on toys and I want to put a next step of trying to identify what not to stand on! I would ignore it but its every day, all the time so thought I ought to note it. But am not sure how to word it without it sounding mean!

sarah707
07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
It's totally normal behaviour for a child who is just starting walking!! Or it is in my experience for some :laughing:

Some children just charge through life and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say anything in obs and i would just keep the floor as safe as possible.

Once he's a little older you can work on slowing him down a bit.

Good luck! :D

gigglinggoblin
07-10-2009, 08:23 PM
He is 2.5 so we are trying to slow him down!

Do you think I shouldnt bother then? Its just that its all the time, when we have stuff out like the train track he will walk over it like it isnt there. We do try to keep tidy but its not always possible.

FussyElmo
07-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Sounds like my ds who is the same age - why walk round something when you can go straight across :)

gigglinggoblin
07-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Lol, exactly Elmo :)

Trouble is I have to keep reminding him as he is a chunky little thing and I dont want everything broken! Thought I should record it as I have to say something roughly a zillion times a day!

Winnie
07-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Take his shoes off :) If he is wearing them. Children really do not feel things in the same way as adults, some are highly sensitive but some just can not locate sensation. If he is wearing shoes or slippers then try removing them and see if it makes a difference.

Chanelle
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Take his shoes off :) If he is wearing them. Children really do not feel things in the same way as adults, some are highly sensitive but some just can not locate sensation. If he is wearing shoes or slippers then try removing them and see if it makes a difference.

Sorry but I had to have a little chuckle!! Great answer and I am sure that will work! I have trodden on toys as I have jumped across them and it ****** hurts!! :D

sweets
07-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Sorry but I had to have a little chuckle!! Great answer and I am sure that will work! I have trodden on toys as I have jumped across them and it ****** hurts!! :D

Duplo really hurts:panic: :panic:

Winnie
07-10-2009, 09:20 PM

:panic: i wouldnt want him to get hurt. But some children are unable to register sensation- or where abouts the sensation is coming from, so they might trample through toys or sit with wet trousers and not really be able to focus on where the discomfort is coming from. If you take the shoes off and bring the objects to his attention eventually the 'pathways' are formed (from feet to brain) :)

gigglinggoblin
07-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Already taken the shoes off, it seems to make no difference! If I point it out to him he kind of looks down at what he is standing on and then moves.... but often onto something else!

purple rain
08-10-2009, 12:44 PM
my little one was like this when she started walking at 10 months!!! i think its just sheer determination to get where they want to go... nothing gets in there way. even wooden bricks!!!

she did stop eventually i think when she learned something else new!! :clapping: which was a relief to her big sister who was often in the way too and would get clambered all over :laughing:

not much help really i know!!

gegele
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
keep him more busy, less toys more time if you know what i mean. it's many also a thing he starts as soon as his brain is not engage. good luck but i'm afraid it is a boy thing as well

gigglinggoblin
08-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I am sure he will figure it out, its just something we are working on so I thought I should record it and wasnt sure how to put it. At the moment all the toys he wants to play with are the ones that fill the floor like the train track, car mat and wooden blocks so its easy to find something to stand on!

youarewhatyoueat
14-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I would move it into your planning, perhaps you could set the train set up on the coffee table or a low table, I find they play really well if its off the floor and its much safer,and tidier.

nannymcflea
14-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I had a lo,about the same age,that would deliberately stand on toys,books,anything on the floor!It drove me buggy as she would walk along and tread on or stand on things...I did say something as she ripped books by sliding her feet over them. I gave her tons of sensory activities to do aswell!

Sorry,no help whatsoever!