PDA

View Full Version : advise needed please

chels55
07-10-2009, 06:04 PM
l have been minding a child 6 years old for just 1 hour at 4 days a week after school, term time only. i have been charging £5 per day and nothing through school hols. Monday and Tuesday he was ill and mum just brought my money in an envelope with 2 days short so only had £10. It does state on the contract that i charge full fee for illness or holidays child/parent with no fee for mine.
I was wondering would anyone take a child on with just four hours a week? (At the moment it has not affected a full time space because i have very few enquiries). i am now feeling like i have sucker written across my forehead
I am planning on phoning mum as soon as i calm down :blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
07-10-2009, 06:13 PM
I would phone mum and say that there was a shortage in the envelope and did she realise that sickness/absence still had to be paid for

If she doesn't pay let her go.

chels55
07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
i don't think she would get another childminder to do such a small amount of hours, she gets the childcare element of tax credits too. The contract is coming up soon so i was thinking of saying that unless i have more hours/ money i will be forced to take on another child in his place

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
07-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Make sure she is aware she still has to pay u even if the son is illness, maybe make a minimum of £10 per day for pick up/drop offs as it is hardly worth you while for £5 per day

chels55
07-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I have just called and said your £10 short for this week she sounded really shocked i explained why and she said " well i don't think you should charge for when he's not with you" i said its all on the contract that you signed and he is still taking a space up here or not then she just sighed and said "ok fine" then said " i have to go bye"

little daisies
08-10-2009, 08:13 AM
get rid its not worth the hassle:(

Allie
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Let her go as quickly as you can

Allie

miffy
08-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I have just called and said your £10 short for this week she sounded really shocked i explained why and she said " well i don't think you should charge for when he's not with you" i said its all on the contract that you signed and he is still taking a space up here or not then she just sighed and said "ok fine" then said " i have to go bye"

Hope you get your money now you've pointed this out to her.

Miffy xx

Daftbat
08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Some parents jjust don't really read the contracts and forget things anyway. I have pointed things like this out before and its been ok in the end. try not to worry and if she doesn't pay then think about serving notice. It depends on whether you really need the cash. I know £20 per week doesn't sound much but its £80 per month and they all add up!

Lady Haha
10-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Her attitude when you rang makes me so mad! Why are so many parents like this!!!! I had one who sent me a text last week to tell me her daughter wasnt at school cos she was ill so I didn't need to pick her up that day. I knew I would bottle out of asking her for the fees when I saw her next so I texted straight back saying thanks for letting me know, but just to remind you that sickness is payable in full. I got a short and simple text back saying 'Ok', but I knew she was annoyed about it.

I am gonna have to bite the bullet again in a couple of weeks as another of my mindees is away for half term and I told every one in new contracts at the beginning of Sept that I will be charging half rate for hols if given four weeks notice (which this mum did)....but I bet I get the 'shocked' look when I ask her for the money for the time he is away.

It's not fair and they shouldn't make us feel bad about it, especially as they have signed a contract agreeing to it first!!!!

But, onto your original post, I would give notice if you can afford it. It's not worth the hassle for 20 quid a week. Also, I charge a after school session rate of 8.00 which is in line with an after school club near me which all my parents have to pay whether their child is here for five minutes or til 6pm! It's a flat rate. Maybe you could think about doing something like that?

TheBTeam
10-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I make a very clear point of saying in the inital interview that i charge if the place is available but not used, and i still get some parents who try it on verbally when it happens in the hope i will say oh don't worry about it!

I got so fed up with asking for holidays when the contract says i had paid holidays, so now do not ask for holiday pay but have put my general rates up for any new families I take on! At least that way i can take a holiday with no pay so I can't have that thrown back at me!

mama2three
11-10-2009, 08:05 AM
are you doing the school run anyway , maybe for your own children. if you are then £5 a day does add up quickly as someone else said. but if youve to go out only for this mindee i would probably add a collection fee as well.
the main reason i ask for payment monthly in advance is to try and avoid situations like this - parents will try it on!

Merry-Minder
14-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Can I ask how people figure out pricing before and after school care? Do you charge a flat fee regardless of the hours worked before the drop off and after the pick up or do you charge a seperate amount for the school run and then put the extra hours on top at normal hourly rate???

westbrom44
14-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I charge £5 for a school drop off and extra if they want breakfast. I then charge a minimum of 2 hours for a school pick up, at £3 per hour.
I always make sure a parent is aware that they pay me even if the child is absent as I have had problems in the past.

Merry-Minder
15-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I charge £5 for a school drop off and extra if they want breakfast. I then charge a minimum of 2 hours for a school pick up, at £3 per hour.
I always make sure a parent is aware that they pay me even if the child is absent as I have had problems in the past.

Can I ask, is £3 your normal hourly rate? I think the way you do it sounds great thanks for your advise - I will also be sure to highlight my absent fees policy.

Sarah.x

youarewhatyoueat
15-10-2009, 09:57 AM
I also charge a minimum of 2 hours for an after school pick up at my normal rate of £4 per hour but I don't charge a retainer for the hols as I'm term time only. I always get paid in advance for 2 weeks so if they're ill i've still been paid.

daisyboo1980
15-10-2009, 10:53 AM
i look at each case differently i have 1 afterschool for an hour everyday so i charge £35 a week term time then normal rate holiday cover
wish i had taken it on as it a hassle and not the easiest child and parents i have decided not to redo their contract next year as hopefully i'll be pregnant then fingers cross

Chatterbox Childcare
15-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Depends on white time they start and if they want breakfast - I have:

7.30 start is £7.50 including breakfast and 7.45 £5 no breakfast

After school is a flat rate regardless of what time I am needed to and until 6pm is £14 per night plus food (5 days) down to £17 plus food for (2 days)

I cannot take anyone on from 5-6pm and therefore they pay for the session rather than hours.

westbrom44
26-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Can I ask, is £3 your normal hourly rate? I think the way you do it sounds great thanks for your advise - I will also be sure to highlight my absent fees policy.

Sarah.x

Yes, £3 is my hourly rate. I charge £5 in the morning but the child is dropped at my house at 7.45am and I drop her at school at 8.30 so it is less than an hour. If it was more time then that I would charge more.