PDA

View Full Version : 5 Minute Playdough

Chatterbox Childcare
07-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I have just found a playdough recipe that does not require cooking and is done in 5 minutes (plus cooling time)

2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons of oil
Food colouring
2 cups boiling water

Mix flour and salt together and make a well. Pour in the oil and food colouring and mix and then the water. Combine all ingredients (it may look lump or dry but don't add anything extra) and turn out on to a floured surface and knead. Well all mixed leave to cool and seal in an airtight container.

Just finished mine and it is soft and flexible and no messy pan!

Blackhorse
07-10-2009, 01:22 PM
or you can make salt dough

2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
enough water to make a smooth dough
add food coloring if wanted

ready...

can be dried in the oven if you want to keep whatever the kids made.
at about 75 C for a couple of hours...or you can air dry but that takes a couple of days

once dry it can be painted and varnished\(with any wood varnish that is clear)...!!
my mindees love the stuff and constantly make something from it.
We even used halloween cookie cutters to make witches, ghosts and pumpkins!! all ready painted and varnished too!! very nice

Chatterbox Childcare
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
We did Diwalli candle holders yesterday but it took 7 hours to cook (glad the cooker has a timer on it or I would have been up until 1am)

miss muffit
08-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Thank you :thumbsup:

Maguiresmonkeys
08-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Fab, thank you....does it relly take 7 hours to cook?

misst104
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I've used that recipe Debbie and it works a treat and lasts quite well in the fridge in a plastic bag :thumbsup:

xxx jo

miffy
08-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks for that Debbie - am going to try that one

Miffy xx

HELEN10
08-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Thank, 5 mins! Def gonna try that.

HELEN10

Tam's Tribe
09-10-2009, 06:03 AM
For two months I have been promising to make play dough but since reading this, this is my mission today . . . get food colouring and make before kids come home . . . thinking I might make both receipes

Thanks Ladies!

Lovies
Tam
x

MrsT333
09-10-2009, 06:53 AM
lovely thanks ladies, I'd lost my recipe when i moved house......today's planning done!

grindal
09-10-2009, 06:56 AM
I might give that a go this pm - thanks. I assume I will need to go and get some free flowing salt - not the big chunks of sea salt I have for cooking?! Well, thats the day sorted. Shops in the morning to buy salt and play dough in the afternoon. Thanks DebbieS26

marian
09-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks for that - My arms ache when I do the cooking method!!:panic:

Marian x

Tam's Tribe
09-10-2009, 10:30 AM
:mad:

I made both receipes this morning and all I suceeded in doing is making a HUGE mess . . . I am so upset that I cant make it (isnt it a critical childminder talent?!?) . . . I LOVE playdough . . .

Also I used Asda Natural Food Colouring and used a little and the colour didnt stick . . . then used more . . . still didnt work . . . nearly used a whole bottle and it is like that paint 'dough coloured with a hint of blue' :laughing:

Looks like I will have to buy the yucky expensive stuff!!! or pop into the local playgroup for some training coz they make great playdough!

Lovies
Tam

Alibali
09-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I have just found a playdough recipe that does not require cooking and is done in 5 minutes (plus cooling time)

2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons of oil
Food colouring
2 cups boiling water

Mix flour and salt together and make a well. Pour in the oil and food colouring and mix and then the water. Combine all ingredients (it may look lump or dry but don't add anything extra) and turn out on to a floured surface and knead. Well all mixed leave to cool and seal in an airtight container.

I use this recipe too, however use cold water and mix it all together in a pan and stir till it makes a ball, only takes a few minutes:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
:mad:

I made both receipes this morning and all I suceeded in doing is making a HUGE mess . . . I am so upset that I cant make it (isnt it a critical childminder talent?!?) . . . I LOVE playdough . . .

Also I used Asda Natural Food Colouring and used a little and the colour didnt stick . . . then used more . . . still didnt work . . . nearly used a whole bottle and it is like that paint 'dough coloured with a hint of blue' :laughing:

Looks like I will have to buy the yucky expensive stuff!!! or pop into the local playgroup for some training coz they make great playdough!

Lovies
Tam

Oh no - I am usually unsuccessful with playdough - sounds like yours is too wet. Try the supercook colouring as you only use a couple of drops and it works immediately.

Did you use boiling water?

Daftbat
09-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi Debbie,

I made the playdough this morning and at first it was a bit sticky so i kneaded it with a load more flour and it was fine. Will add more flour next time - i think it can depend on amount of food colouring you use.

Thanks for recipe by the way:thumbsup:

Tam's Tribe
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh no - I am usually unsuccessful with playdough - sounds like yours is too wet. Try the supercook colouring as you only use a couple of drops and it works immediately.

Did you use boiling water?

I did as you said (boiling water, etc) but I am no domestic goddess :laughing:

A cm friend of mine took pity on me and is gonna give me a lesson :D

Oh, I will try the supercook colouring, the Asda one I bought is no good!!! . . . oh well, will have to use for icing fairy cakes with the LOs.

Thanks Debbie!!

I will stick :laughing: at it . . . I am not normally one to quit.

miffy
12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
or you can make salt dough

2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
enough water to make a smooth dough
add food coloring if wanted

ready...

can be dried in the oven if you want to keep whatever the kids made.
at about 75 C for a couple of hours...or you can air dry but that takes a couple of days

once dry it can be painted and varnished\(with any wood varnish that is clear)...!!
my mindees love the stuff and constantly make something from it.
We even used halloween cookie cutters to make witches, ghosts and pumpkins!! all ready painted and varnished too!! very nice

I made this today with my lo - it's great - they loved the measuring and it came together very easily.

Thank you

Miffy xx

babs
12-10-2009, 09:16 PM
guess what my mission is tomorrow... yes u guessed it play dough .... might even go asda in a bit for stuff.... open 24 hours :laughing:

Daftbat
13-10-2009, 05:47 AM
I must have done something wrong with mine. It was a bit sticky so added more flour and it was fine to use for the first session. I put it in an air tight container but came to use it yesterday and it was a big sticky mess:panic:

What have i done wrong?????

Chatterbox Childcare
13-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I must have done something wrong with mine. It was a bit sticky so added more flour and it was fine to use for the first session. I put it in an air tight container but came to use it yesterday and it was a big sticky mess:panic:

What have i done wrong?????

Was it completely cold when you put it in the bag and sealed it? Sounds like there is moisture then - try adding a bit more flour and it should work.

Chatterbox Childcare
13-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Just gone back to mine after a week and it is sticky and wet. Have added LOADS more flour, kneaded well and cooked in the microwave and will try using it later once cooled.

carebear25
27-10-2009, 01:19 PM
im off 2 make sum playdough now wish me luck neva made it before :panic:

carebear25
27-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Well Im surprised with myself I actually managed to make it and even my own ds who doesnt normally show interest enjoyed playin with it xx Thanks debbie

Chatterbox Childcare
27-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Well Im surprised with myself I actually managed to make it and even my own ds who doesnt normally show interest enjoyed playin with it xx Thanks debbie

When you do it next time try adding something different. Could be a scent, colour, rice, glitter etc... keeps them interested

carebear25
27-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I put blue food colouring in but wil try a few other things 2 thanks xx

miss mopple
28-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I made this today in red and black and it turned out really sticky and horrible :( Hasnt stopped the kids playing with it though :laughing:
Think I'll stick to my cook recipe in future as that always works well :thumbsup:

Chell
07-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I think the stickiness that some of you had after it was stored is due to it not containing cream of tarter. I once forgot to add it to the play dough that you cook. It was fine on the day but a week later it was slimey goo!

I just made the recipe from another thread that uses the boiling water method.

I used green Asda natural colouring like Tam's Tribe and it is just slightly tinged with green despite using a lot.

funfunfun
16-04-2010, 01:13 PM

2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons of oil
Food colouring
2 cups boiling water

Im going to try that :) tHnkyou

Toothfairy
16-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Never made it myself as I have always bought it.

Does the food colouring come off onto the Mindees hands?

dlissaman
16-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi, I use the boiling water method but my ingredients are slightly different.

it has never failed, at stay and play sessions that I run I double the ingredients. Also I like to make one batch the night before and store it in the fridge and one batch about half to one hour before use. This gives us extended learning opportunity of hot, cold etc. My method is:

2 cups of plain flour
2 cups of boiling water
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1/2 a cup of salt
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
food colouring.

I mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl make a hollow add the oil, put the food colouring into the boiling water, pour into the hollow. Mix until it 'comes together', turn out on to a table and knead well.

Chell
16-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Never made it myself as I have always bought it.

Does the food colouring come off onto the Mindees hands?

No :thumbsup:

CHUNKY MONKEY
05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Works really well I add colouring, scents and glitter to mine :jump for joy: CM

Ripeberry
15-10-2010, 08:32 PM
The recipie I use for playdough is:

1 cup of plain flour
half a cup of salt
1 tsp of tartar
1 cup of water with food colouring and scent (almond or orange oil / just a few drops)
1 tbsp of baby oil

Mix it all up in a microwaveble bowl

Put in microwave at full power for 30 seconds, take out and stir well, then back in for 30 seconds, stir well...
Keep going until the mixture starts to become non-sticky.

Take it out of the bowl and give it a good knead then flatten it out a bit to cool for 10 mins.

Seal in a plastic bag or box. Keeps well for a couple of weeks :thumbsup:

babs
15-10-2010, 08:37 PM
instead of using oven for salt dough i use microwave you have to put it on a flat plate and aplate on top or it blows bubbles in dough ....

Chell
02-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Does anyone have any nce ideas for things to add to the dough for texure/colour/scent/etc?

Thanks,
Chell

Kelly
02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I cam across this website a while back, it has loads of ideas about play doh and the black/sparkly is my favourite by far, but there are loads of ideas
for play doh and other activities http://www.theimaginationtree.com/2011/05/black-sparkle-play-dough.html

Chell
02-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I cam across this website a while back, it has loads of ideas about play doh and the black/sparkly is my favourite by far, but there are loads of ideas
for play doh and other activities http://www.theimaginationtree.com/2011/05/black-sparkle-play-dough.html

Thanks, I follow that site on Facebook but hadn't thought to look there. The only thing I could think of to use from my cupboard was vanilla essence. That site mentions cocoa which I also had in my cupboard and cinnamon, I didn't think to use there. I love the idea of the glittery sequins or rice.

I wanted to link the play with dough into yesterdays visit to the zoo. I had found some animal play dough mats to print but hadn't thought to get out the plastic animals till I seen the blog post.

Louise317
13-06-2011, 01:02 PM

2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons of oil
Food colouring
2 cups boiling water

Is this used with cooking oil of baby oil ?

Just looked in cupboards but no cooking oil (as I use spray oil for cooking)

Was thinking of making some up tonight, some for kids to play with and some for making hands for Fathers Day gifts

mandynunn84
13-06-2011, 01:25 PM
i make home made playdough too but use this recipy

1 Minute Playdough recipe:

Your will need:

* 1/2 cup of salt
* 1 cup of flour
* 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar (Cream of Tartar is a natural powdered raising agent for use in scones, drop scones, soda bread and a wide range of other recipes)
* 1 tablespoon of oil
* I cup of boiling water (from the kettle) mixed with
some food colouring (OR a the contents of three blackcurrant dazzler fruit tea bags for lovely fruity rich purple)

What to do:

Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then mix vigourously with the hot water. once cool make into a ball in hands add more flour if needed!

Another thing which children love, dont put food colouring in when making it for the first time. after first play roll into little balls, add a few drops to the middle, put in fridge till next playdough time! Then watch in amazement when the children have a white ball of playdough an it starts to go coloured :D magical!!! also i let the children add glitter!!

Keeps really well in the fridge an also doesnt mat into the carpet like bought stuff!! xx