PDA

View Full Version : what is the best piece of advice you were given?

mumx3
03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Twiddling my fingers waiting for Ofsted to show up and I was just wondering. Of all the advice you have been given about your inspection ahead of time what was the one thing which really helped you on the day.

It could be a particular piece of paperwork, something you said or did anything which was really helpful.

I need all the help I can get at this point!

miffy
03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Don't do anything differently to usual - children have a habit of dropping you in it if you suddenly change things!

Miffy xx

zillervalley
03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
yeah be yourself, show your evidance and everything will be fine

ajs
03-10-2009, 09:57 PM
swot up on your policies and make sure when she asks you about them you actually know what you've written

yvonne
03-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Be yourself,relax and remember they are there to help you not put you down. Good luck with it all .:clapping:

sophiestars
03-10-2009, 09:59 PM
To complete your SEF, Definitely helped her to get a feel of my setting and all I do and it was nice to know everything was already there in black and white rather than me having to remember things to tell her on the day while being a bit nervous and having to cope with 3 lo's on the day!

Also as miffy said just be yourself and do what you always do - if you don't use gloves to change nappies, don't start using them for the ofsted inspection as the children will probably say something like 'why are you wearing those?' !! Don't try any new activities on the day, do something that you know the children like and that has been successful in the past, and hopefully it won't go wrong!

ORKSIE
03-10-2009, 10:09 PM
I agree, cannot add anymore, just keep things simple and normal:thumbsup:

julie w
03-10-2009, 11:39 PM
The best thing i actually did was to get a big cardboard box. Whilst the inspector was here i helped the children colour it and turn it into a bus. It was one of those activities that kept the children amused for ages, stopped them fighting and really impressed the inspector.! I could also talk to her easily whilst we were making it. Good luck with inspection.:)

tashaleee
04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Have your paperwork out and ready - and make sure it is your paperwork so if you are asked questions on it you actually will know the answers ;)

Dont change your routine - it confuses the children and they are likely to drop you in it!

Dont try anything 'new' to 'impress' the inspector - it will more than likely backfire!

If you can, do your SEF - they like to see it. The difference between satisfactory, good and outstanding is that you have to do 'more than required' to get a higher grade and you have to have evidence available (written, photos, etc).

If you do planning, plan things for yourself (future training), changes you would like to make to your setting or to toys (funds allowing).

Dont worry about your accounts being up to date - they are between yourself and the taxman so Ofsted never look at them

HTH

balloon
04-10-2009, 10:51 AM
POST REMOVED BY AUTHOR DUE TO OFFENCE UNWITTINGLY CAUSED

Twinkles
04-10-2009, 11:00 AM
relax!

Don't chase the 'outstanding' grade, its just a name and doesn't make any difference to the amount or type of business you'll get. It's seriously worthless!

I couldn't agree more ! It has made no difference to my setting whatsoever. It has just made me more stressed in wondering if I'll keep it after my next inspection ( I won't ! ). It has caused some bad feeling from other minders too :(

sarah707
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
relax!

Don't chase the 'outstanding' grade, its just a name and doesn't make any difference to the amount or type of business you'll get. It's seriously worthless!

While I agree it doesn't get me more money or more customers I am sorry but I take offence that you say my grade is worthless.

I worked incredibly hard to get it and I am very very proud of it.

It was the reason I was invited to the Nursery World conference last week at which I represented childminders throughout the country to the very best of my ability.

it is also one of the reasons why I am asked to write information for various training establishments round the country.

sarah707
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Twiddling my fingers waiting for Ofsted to show up and I was just wondering. Of all the advice you have been given about your inspection ahead of time what was the one thing which really helped you on the day.

It could be a particular piece of paperwork, something you said or did anything which was really helpful.

I need all the help I can get at this point!

Put something into your SEF so the inspector has a base from which to work!

Also try to relax and go with your routine - remember things like hand washing and signing the register as soon as the children walk in...

However nervous you are, it's your routine that will see you through.

Good luck! :D

Pudding Girl
04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I agree with OIABM and Twinkles in that whatever grading you get yes it's just a word, it is a snapshot of one day/morning in your service and not always a true representation of your every day service. If I had my inspection on a day when the children were being pains, I was stressing, not passing over as much info as I was able to on the day, I would probably have gotten a 5 same as last time and not the 6 I did.

Don't get hung up on it, be yourself, do what you normally do and use it as a learning experience.

Allie
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Just remember Ofsted inspectors are only human they can make mistakes:rolleyes: after all they are only seeing a very small snapshot of how you actually work

Allie

FussyElmo
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Be yourself!!!!

tammerisk
04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
that they are not here to be scary and tell you off they are here to help you

my inspector rang me and i told her how nerves i was and she said don't worry if anything is not quite right we can fix it

mumx3
04-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks all, it has really helped reading your replies. Waiting has made me more stressed about it.

Today I have been cleaning the house from top to bottom AGAIN! and tweaking paperwork which didnt really need tweaking. I think I am going to try to have the evening off. My husband is going to take the kids to his sisters for sunday dinner and leave me to finish tidying up after the weekend and setting out the role play stuff I have planned for tommorrow and then bring the kids back at bedtime so as the house doesnt get destroyed again.

My poor family have been wonderful putting up with me, my husband took a couple of things to the dump today that had been hiding in the cupboard under the stairs and annoying me! They have all helped, even my 4 year old has been helping by sorting some toy boxes out and putting a few bits back in the right boxes etc. My 10 year old tidied her room today, she said she doesnt want Mrs Ofsted writing on her clipboard "daughter has untidy bedroom" !!!! Her room isnt regisitered but she thought she might look!

I am just going to do my best and be my usual self as I think I am doing a good job and the mindees all seem to be having a lovely time. And whatever happens I will try to remember that I have only been doing the job for one month.

Thanks again, and sorry for the monologue. It was most carthartic

Monkey1
04-10-2009, 02:14 PM
While I agree it doesn't get me more money or more customers I am sorry but I take offence that you say my grade is worthless.

I worked incredibly hard to get it and I am very very proud of it.

It was the reason I was invited to the Nursery World conference last week at which I represented childminders throughout the country to the very best of my ability.

it is also one of the reasons why I am asked to write information for various training establishments round the country.

I agree with Sarah on this one! She does some amazing work and i got my grade by using Sarahs guides and information.

balloon
04-10-2009, 04:19 PM
POST REMOVED BY AUTHOR DUE TO OFFENCE UNWITTINGLY CAUSED

TheBTeam
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I would not say getting outstanding was worthless, i would say don't get too het up about whether you get it or get a good, in all honestly no one has even asked me (either prospective or current parents) what grade i got, so I can honestly say that it has not affected my business, i also know of a few families that have chosen me and would not go to my friend who got outstanding, so from that point of view, it is not the be all and end all.

I would be happy to get outstanding, i would be happy to get a good, and probably be a bit more relaxed over a good come the time for my next inspection, being terrified that i could not maintain an outstanding, and then not wanting to return to good.

I also believe some inspectors give outstanding easier than others, but what matters most is whether or not you can attract the families and children and they are happy with your service, that you are happy with your service and how you run your business, and it takes the amount of time that you are prepared to put into it, some people will always be prepared to put more time in, or be a bit better about putting themselves across on the day.

My best bit of advice is not to get worked up, if you have a thriving business, then you can relax and be yourself, whether good, outstanding or even satisfactory, you can only live up to being yourself.

Ripeberry
04-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Well said B team :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2009, 07:17 PM
I would say remember that Ofsted are not your employers and that they are there to monitor you only. If you don't agree with something then challenge it.

mumx3
05-10-2009, 09:58 AM
thanks for continuing to add tips, this wasnt supposed to be about the worth of each specific grade, nor am I chasing an outstanding grade.

I simply want to do my best at my inspection and try to make sure whatever I get is a true relfection of what I am doing every day....and most evenings too! And after the inspection continue to improve as I develop as a childminder.

TheBTeam
05-10-2009, 08:42 PM
thanks for continuing to add tips, this wasnt supposed to be about the worth of each specific grade, nor am I chasing an outstanding grade.

I simply want to do my best at my inspection and try to make sure whatever I get is a true relfection of what I am doing every day....and most evenings too! And after the inspection continue to improve as I develop as a childminder.

Yep just be yourself, after all this is what the parents choose and this is what you can live up to and improve when you are ready, oh and as for a real tip, cut it down to some evenings, not most!! Childminding should still be your job not your life! :laughing: :laughing: That said when i get my head into my paperwork my family would argue it is my life, but i try not to be doing stuff more than an evening or two a month and occasionally a Sat or Sunday afternoon!

mandy moo
06-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I would like to be a good, I think I should be a good.. I worked so hard on polices, paper work etc etc before they came
Then the 2 of them sat in the dining room and didnt move for just over 4 hours!!!
My inspector was being inspected, they didnt ask to see my paperwork or any thing, asked a some questions, a quick tour round the house and garden and that was it!!
I would be Happy to be a good forever:laughing:

~Chelle~
06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I cleaned my house top to bottom and she didnt even go round it :eek:

She was only really interested in the paperwork and seeing me with the children.
She had looked at my SEF before the inspection and really had remembered quite a few details from it.

My tip would be just make sure paperwork, policies, permissions, risk assements etc are all in order and you will be fine.

Let us know how you get on x