PDA

View Full Version : long weekend

jodi-anna
02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Help please.
I am Ofsted reg c.m graded outstanding (overnight approved) Could anyone help me as to what to charge for 50 hours childcare in Shropshire from 5pm Friday night right through to Sunday evening 7pm. A break down would be great but more than happy for a rough price overall. Thanks:panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
02-10-2009, 05:27 PM
My hours of work are 8am to 6pm at normal rate and outside of this I would charge from

6pm to 10pm and from 7am to 8am time and half
10pm to 7am £50.00 flat rate
Sat and Sun would be time and half all the time if both days or if only Sunday double time

I use these rates, especially Sunday, as I would want it to be worthwhile working or I could earn more with 3 children on a weekday and have the weekend to myself.

Hope it helps

Daftbat
02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Debbies rate sound good to me. I charge a bit less for overnight - £30

jodi-anna
03-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your replies.... wrote a great update to my situation for you but messed up and stupidly deleted all my hard work:angry: Basically, I feel dreadful right now as the parents DID pay the bill of £170 but 'TOLD' me in not so many words that I am too expensive and had they known that I was going to charge that much would have made alternative arrangements.:blush: .......... At the end of the day I only charged £3.40 ph for 50 hrs care..... Do you think my charges were reasonable? If not, I'd be happy to eat 'humble pie' and and refund any monies a.s.a.p :o Thanks again

TheBTeam
03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
No i don't think that sounds to much, and i certainly wouldn't have been buying a birthday present for a party!

I personally don't do overnight care as we need our time off at weekends and evenings to cope with our own life, so personally earning around £5 per hour is simply not enough!, it would be interesting to know what alternative arrangements they might make!

Pudding Girl
03-10-2009, 08:43 PM
More fool them if they didn't think to agree a fee with you beforehand. Did they think it'd be done out of the goodness of your heart? Probably... :angry:

I think I would be unavailable for any further overnight work for this family and I would make sure they knew why too! but then that's me and not feeling v charitable towards anyone right now!!:censored:

Pipsqueak
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your replies.... wrote a great update to my situation for you but messed up and stupidly deleted all my hard work:angry: Basically, I feel dreadful right now as the parents DID pay the bill of £170 but 'TOLD' me in not so many words that I am too expensive and had they known what I was going to charge, would have made alternative arrangements.:blush: ...... I only charged them £30 per night and to keep it simple, £45 for 12 hrs Sat and £50 for 11 hrs on Sun. I only charged them £15 for the 3 hrs on the Fri evening (5pm-8pm)...
What I didn't include, and perhaps now I think I should, was the purchase of a birthday gift and wrap, birthday card (delivery & collection to party) all breakfasts, dinners evening meals and suppers, plus a trip to a friends farm and a meal at a restaurant with my family, complete with entrance to play in a play barn. I'm not asking for payment for the above but if I had stipulated these on the bill instead of briefly 'chatting' about them, then may be they wouldn't have thought that I had charged too much..... Do you think my charges were reasonable? If not, I'd be happy to eat 'humble pie' and and refund any monies a.s.a.p :o Thanks again

I reckon £170 is pretty darned reasonable for all that

miffy
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I reckon £170 is pretty darned reasonable for all that

So do I!!!!!!!

And, as they were so rude, I think I'd be sending them an itemised receipt detailing all that they got for their money!

Miffy xx

janey81
04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I agree that sounds fine what you charged, whereabouts in Shropshire are you? I'm in Shropshire and as far as I know the rates are about £3 - £4 per hour here.

Jane

yummymummy
05-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I think these parents should consider themselves very lucky to find a childminder like you prepared to do this, I most certainly wouldn't.
They probably thought you wouldn't charge an overnight fee as the child asleep (and you! not taking into account the fact that you are their on hand should the child be ill or just wake up unexpectedly), it never ceases to amaze me that some parents think this sort of thing it is very upsetting when you realise how some just think so little of the service you provide and would probably have (if they could find one!) rather paid a teenager to stay in their home all weekend and paid them a pittance. Some parents will always want to save money over top quality childcare and I think it is a real shame.:angry:

jodi-anna
06-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice and support once again. Feel better knowing I haven't over-charged. However, a learning curve for us all I think.... I'll make sure I add all over-night/weekend fees on my regular price list so as to avoid this situation ever happening again:thumbsup: