PDA

View Full Version : how do you decide

mummyroysof3
02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
hi, i was just wondering now ive decided to start advertising, how you decide what to charge

i did try to look on the childcare link site but that doesnt work anymore and the link from the direct.gov site isnt working(so where do i advertise online?) so cant check what local minders charge. I went to my local minders group on thursday and the minders there are all really nice but dont feel able to ask what they charge yet :laughing:

as i dont have much experience, my garden registered and wont be offering day trips to expensive places should i be charging less than them or will that be seen as trying to pouch business from them?

any advise anyone has about this would be great, many thanks

charlotte x

Chatterbox Childcare
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Why not get a list and ring around saying that you are a parent contemplating going back to work and ask for part time and full time rates.

As for outings - I include 1 soft play for each week in addition to my fees in my contracts and anything large after that I invoice.

Agree everything with the parent before signing the contract.

Daftbat
02-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I live in Derbyshire, so not that far from you. I set my charges initally based on what i thought i would be prepared to pay myself for childcare.

You could ring around as debbie says and also ring the nurseries to get a comparison. There are also probably a few threads on here which you could search to see what vaarious people charge.

For the record i charge £3 per hour includes food but not jarred baby food, baby milk or nappies. I don't charge for entrance to soft play/toddler groups etc but i do ask for help with admission fees if i am going out for the day to somewhere with a larger admission fee especially in the holidays.

TheBTeam
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I think if you go to a childminding group, other childminders would rather you asked them about their pricing policy, saying that you want to work with them and not undercut them etc, then they will probably be more than happy to tell you.

Childminding groups for the most part give childminders the opportunity to support each other and to share advice/practice etc and can often be a very good source of referral if you are prepared to be open with them.

In our group we will only recommend people when we are full when we have been able to share things with them and have seen that they want to work and share stuff with us, and we have seen how they interact with the children and adults at the group or if any minded children that they may have with them.

mummyroysof3
03-10-2009, 02:42 PM
thanks for the replies, due to childcare link being gone now i cant even look to see how many minders there are in my village:laughing: i think ill have to pluck up the courage to ask at the group

charlotte x

mama2three
11-10-2009, 08:14 AM
hi charlotte , they were a bit scary werent they? of course i dont include myself in that! look on the family information service website , thats what i did , it brings up the area minders and a lot of them show charges. when i looked the minders in ollerton and clipstone charged between £3 and £3.75. Everyone in Edwinstowe was £3 though - so much for a more affluent area then! So mine is £3 , but trying to persuade the others we should all put our rates up together - that way no-one is undercutting anyone else! Is Jack better? K x

mummyroysof3
11-10-2009, 08:45 AM
hiya, the ************* site doesnt work anymore and the silly new one doesnt show as much information, rebecca who is my support minder says they charge 3.25 in ollerton i was thinking of charging 3 but dont want to undercut anyone but havent got as much experience or offer outings so not sure i can justify charging the same

i was very nervous going to the group, but will go again, jack is much better, still getting earache but i dont think its as bad because he doesnt keep asking for calpol anymore :laughing:

how are you getting on?

charlotte x

dobby
12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Another place to check might be your local netmums site. They all have a childcare section and i would not think anyone would mind if you asked what the going rate was? Depending on your area it can vary widely. In the area I am we have some very affluent parts and very deprived parts and the fees can be as much as £3 per hour differant :eek:

Debster
12-10-2009, 11:56 AM
you will still be on the childcare network there are just a few teething problems with the new site put if a parent rings them they will be forwarded a list of minders in the area. I have had a enquiry from a mum who got my number this way

Pipsqueak
12-10-2009, 12:20 PM
People to ask - your CDO, Support minder (if you have one) or just give FIS a ring. The information may not be online currently but they will still have local info - even if they give you the cheapest and dearest prices or an average.

Honestly pluck up the courage and speak your colleagues - they won't mind!