PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge when a child is at Playgroup?

gtaylor29
01-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Hello

Got a family coming round later, and there child is going to playgroup from 9-11.30 i will be dropping him there and picking him up. what do you do about the bit in the middle do you charge? full rate? half rate or another amount?

Also if not needed during school holidays what do you charge?

Thanks

Georgina

miffy
01-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I charge in full whilst the child is at playgroup as it's only for a couple of hours and there's no way I could fill the space.

Holidays - if I'm not needed at all then I charge a retainer but if I am needed then I charge in full including parent's holidays but not for my own

HTH's and good luck when they come round!

Miffy xx

dobby
01-10-2009, 01:14 PM
yes it is pretty standard to charge whilst child is at pre-school as 1. you cannot fill the space as it is so short and 2. if pre school was closed or child had minor problem (eg. wet clothes, minor illness or bump) it is likely parents will want you to have the child. I always explain this to parents and they are fine about it. Also check if they want you to have child during holiday times.

good luck

~Chelle~
01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I do, I am still responsible for them and I am the one that will have to look after them if the playgroup is closed. They are also taking up a space where I cannot take on another child to fill it.

I think that it is the norm to charge whilst they are at nursery x

Polly2
01-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Yes I charge right through if I drop off and pick up.

I also charge a retainer during holidays at half fee but that is if they require the space to be kept open so they can use me if they wish.

You could do a termtime only contract but then they wouldn't have that space available as and when.

tulip0803
01-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I charge full rate as they are paying for a childcare place not my time.

I charge 1/2 rate retainer for the space during school holidays if I do not have a holiday child to book into it.

fun house
01-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Just reading this question i thought about my situation would you charge if the parent drops the child at pre-school but you collect. The mother is at home so would collect child if ill. Should she still pay me for the morning?

sophiestars
01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I think in that case you would just charge from when you pick up and as mum will pick little one up if they were ill etc you can't really charge for nursery time as you are not going to be responsible for them.

margimum
01-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Marieu, In your case I would only charge from the time I leave home to collect the child. I would charge a slightly higher hourly rate.
Many childminders have a minimum session fee.
In january a mindee is going to preschool in the afternoon, but I will not be taking her, so I will only charge for the morning. I expect to have her full time in the holidays, so the fee will rise again then.