PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for shift workers?

Ritaroo
30-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I have a mum who works on a rota with different days each week. She gives me the rota for the month so I know what days I have the baby. Just wondered what others do in this situation as it obviously counts as a FT space as you can't fill the gaps as they change each week but I am only being paid for 2/3 days a week on average.

It is my first mindee so I am not too bothered at the moment as it is easing me in to it gently but it may be an issue when I take on other mindees.

Any advice?

avril
30-09-2009, 07:58 PM
A family I minded for were the Dad worked a three week shift pattern so we worked out how many hours I minded for over the three weeks and divided it by three so I got the same amount each week.

Pudding Girl
30-09-2009, 07:59 PM
If I needed to fill that ft space cause of money then I would either charge for the lot or charge for the days and when someone came along asking for ft give them first refusal of if they wanted to pay for the week or go elsewhere, but I would have done it before signing contracts.

avril
30-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I did consider charging full time but it was a family of three, one full time and 2 school pick ups for 3hrs a night, so worked out quite high for amount of hours hence agreeing to do what I did and it worked out fine.

You must consider what is best for you.

Ritaroo
30-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. As it was my first one I didn't even think about the fact that I could charge a FT space when we were sorting out the contract, very green :blush: . I should have asked the question on here first.

I am happy enough with the situation at the moment as it suits me and she is a single mum and he is a lovely baby so wouldn't feel comfortable charging anymore anyway. Will certainly be asking more questions on here when I have my next dilemma.

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I charge a slightly higher rate and then I don't lose out as much.

9.30 - 4.30 £30.00 plus food and 1.30 - 5.30 £25.00

tashaleee
01-10-2009, 06:19 AM
I would either charge a slightly higher rate to compensate for this

or

I would work out how many hours I was working over the weeks and agree a 'minimum' amount of hours to be paid for, then charge for any extra over this if I needed to. If she didnt need so many that week then the extra I got would be a retainer for keeping the space for her. Im sure if you explained the situation (should you get another child needing the space) you will come to some arrangement that suits you both :)

Daftbat
01-10-2009, 06:57 AM
I have done a minimum charge per week for shift workers which then gives me some basis to budget and covers the unused days to some degree.

huggableshelly
01-10-2009, 07:05 AM
I've been lucky in the fact thatI have 2 shift workers working at the same place so they swap days between them and understand if i have to say no every so often due to my other midees who can not be flexible.

I do not charge extra but do have it stated in contracts that spaces may not always be available and a minimum of 2 wks notice must be given for days their children need to be booked in.

Minstrel
01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a shift worker starting after christmas and she needs 2x 10 days on a rolling shift pattern but not weekends as OH is there.

I am happy just to charge her the 20 hours but agreed she will pay this every week even when i dont have him because her shift has fallen on the weekend.

Ritaroo
02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies I think I will see how it goes over the next couple of months. When I get her next rotas I can see how many days she needs me during the next 2 months and decide if I need to make any extra charges then.
I am definately learning a lot on here.