PDA

View Full Version : Settling in period - charge?

Purrdy
30-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi

I'm fairly new to childminding & wanted to know what people usually charge for the settling in period? Do you charge your normal hourly rate or not?

Thanks

dobby
01-10-2009, 12:38 PM
When i first began i used to give 2 half days settling in free of charge, but people would take the micky, swapping around and delaying official starting dates. So now i charge for all time when child is here and not accompanied. I have just got 2 children starting in october and what i have done is tell both parents I will give them an invoice for the month to include 1 weeks deposit (refunded on leaving), settling in time and the days for October once started.

they were happy with that as it is all itemised and i am happy as its all listed as agreed verbally so no messing around - or if they want to mess about i still get paid :D

huggableshelly
01-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I tend to change pending on age and needs of the child.

normally I offer 1 hour free where the parent stays so any unanswered questions can be sorted.

1 hour free without a parent if the child is under 8, my over 8's dont get offered this second free session.

then if all is well child starts fulltime on full fee, if more time is needed i charge for the time the child is in my care at an hourly fee so its up to the parent then to decide how long they wish to have the settling in periods to last or if they wish to return to work asap.

Polly2
01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I charge full for settling in - am I mean? :D :D

Minstrel
02-10-2009, 03:16 PM
No not mean i charge full for all care i give. I dont give a cheap version of care and they still take up paperwork, food, resources, my time and a place. I cant afford to go around giving all this for free especially if they decided it wasnt for them and didnt start the contract.

Purrdy
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks everyone, it's always good to get other people's opinions.

jelly15
02-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Parent come to meet me with their child and I give them my prospectus and a cup of tea. Then if they are happy I arrange for them to come again and sign contract bringing child with them. When child is with me but no parent full fee applies.

Chatterbox Childcare
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't charge but I don't have anymore than 4 hours to settle in. Anything after that I would charge the parent.