PDA

View Full Version : Having a few doubts

Suzanne11
30-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi, I have been to both the briefing meetings now and already I have a lot in place, I have lots of ideas, started writing policies, arranged courses and read a lot about childminding but now I am started to have a bit of a wobble. The woman at the meeting kept saying that there are plenty of childminders in my area, she mentioned a few towns which are literally 5-7 minutes away saying they need childminders but my area doesn't. I don't really see why lots in your area would put you off registering if there is a need close by, surely parents would be happy to have a childminder that lived this far away, they cant all want or expect to get someone in their town within walking distance or just 3 minutes away? She kept saying it over and over and it has made me a bit paranoid, I dont want to go through this and have no work, but on the other hand I have a nice home and lots of great ideas and I think that potentially I could be great at this. I just dont want to be empty! :(

Tam's Tribe
30-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Suzanne

I obviously cannot advise you either way but I can tell you that I felt exactly like you, but for me it was make or break . . . and I have to thank childminding friends and family for helping me through my down moments and kept me focused!!!!

I was the breadwinner and made redundant end of June and I had decided that I didnt want to stay in the corporate world and went through the process of registering as a childminder.

I was also super enthusiastic, had great ideas and was so excited about being registered. There are about 17 childminders in my area (which is ALOT) and half way through the registering, I also nearly pulled out based on their being so many CMs in my area and I was also being told that they all had spaces available.

BUT I decided to go for it and was registered at the end of July. Initially I was so excited but as I dreaded, there was no enquiries . . . I had flyers up everywhere, advertised online on all the free websites, told everyone I met that I was now childminding . . . and still I only had a couple of very very part time mindees . . . I realised that it does take time to fill your places as this business is very much based on recommendations so I went with a childminder friend to all the toddler groups (I borrowed a toddler :laughing: ) and met all the other childminders, which has been wonderful as I really now feel part of the group and everyone is so nice!

Anyway, to cut a long story short *oooooops to late* . . . I have continued to be proactive (had decided to get a night job to tide us over money wise so I was free to sign on children during the day) and it has paid off . . . I have now got 9 part time children on my books, am making just enough money to pay bills (so dont need that night job now!!!!) and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!! I still have places available but at least I am working.

I would recommend that you do some research re the demand in your area but I believe if you offer the parents a safe, fun home environment where the kids will be happy you will get the work . . . so even though there is a recession and potentially alot of childminders in your area, there are ways to overcome this!!! I am still learning and loving it!

You know yesterday I saw a mum who wanted childcare for her 17 months old daughter two days a week . . . anyway, they arrived and mum sat on the settee and I immediately sat on the floor (I spend alot of time on the floor with the kids playing, although getting old now and creaking when I get up :laughing: ) next to the coffee table (with all the paperwork) and talking to the LO and the LO ran up to me and gave me a BIG cuddle . . . it was so sweet and mum said that she knows her LO will be very happy with me and before she left (within the hour) she had signed the contract!!! . . . its times like this and that my own kids are happier with me home all day that I know I made the right choice!!!

Good Luck!! and I hope you can resolve things for yourself.

Lovies
Tam
x

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Sounds like your tutor lives in your area!

She/he doesn't know what parents may or may not want in the future.

If it is what you want then go for it and see how it goes.

Cazz
30-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I had a few wobbles as well before I got registered but now I'm really glad I have and am busy advertising and spreading the word!!

I made friends with someone on my ICP course and we have stayed in touch. She's already started minding and lives the other side of town and we're going to start the childminding play session next week.

I wouldn't take any notice of the tutor - it's your decision and I'm sure you will get work.

I found it very helpful reading Tams Tribe's reply, it's little things like sitting on the floor when parents are visiting so that you're at the child's level -I'm going to remember that when I get a prospective parent lined up (she says with fingers crossed :D ).

Playmate
30-09-2009, 12:57 PM
There are loads of CM's in my area and were when I first registered. I think if you have the confidence that you can do as good a job or better, then go for it. A bit of competition can be a good thing, it keeps you on your toes and can be great for you self esteem when you get the work and others don't. I charge more than most of the other CM's in my area and still get more work than alot of them. :D

youarewhatyoueat
01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I only started with 1 10 month old on 2 mornings for ages but it gave me the chance to get to grips with the eyfs and visit the toddler groups and childrens centres it has taken 2 years and i'm as full as I want but I have also kept up my cleaning jobs and as I have more work I've done less cleaning and the idea is if I get quiet I can always pick up the cleaning again. I'm also doing the nvq3 as it is free and will be good to get a job later on if I want to.

buildingblocks
02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I obviously don't know your area or what the other towns nearby are like but do you live on a route where parents would be passing by where you live to other towns where they work (hope that makes sense). I do not live in the town centre but am near the main route into our town from several villages and get lots of enquiries.

One thing I would suggest is having a website. I get many enquiries from this and when enquiries come from other sources I direct them to this as well as it gives them some idea of our setting.

singlewiththree
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
There are lots of childminders in my area, however since registering 5 have given up. All my mindees are from the neighbouring town and not from mine! If you are on route to work then thats a selling point.

grindal
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
There may well be alot of childminders in your areas but they will all do things slightly differently to you. Everybody I know who has kids does things differently and when a parent looks for a childminder they are looking for someone whos style is as near to their own as they can find. That childminder could easily be you! I registered back last summer and gave up work at Christmas and finding my first parent was hard (infact I gave them fantastic terms and conditions to secure them), but it does get easier. i now need an extension, an assistant and get my own 2 adopted :laughing: in order to meet the demand i have at the moment! good Luck!

jelly15
02-10-2009, 03:27 PM
It is like any new business and you have to market yourself, put the word out to as many friends and aquaintences as possible and prehaps you will be able to line up a child or two before you start.

I became registered this week and I have two starting next week and another one next month.

Good luck and best wishes.

Jelly

Suzanne11
06-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks all for your support and advice. I think (deep down) that I will be able to offer a great service so I'm gonna get stuck in and get on with it! Thanks guys! x :) :) :)

Ripeberry
07-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Some of the long established CMs seem to be giving up in my area. When I first registered there were almost 18 in the next town from me! But now there are only 9 of them :eek: Most had given up because of the EYFS or because they were so quiet.
Even now, some CMs have said that they are going to give up BEFORE their EYFS inspection....that seems a bit drastic :(
So just remember, the numbers can change quite quickly.