PDA

View Full Version : trips to health visitor/gp etc???

michellethegooner
28-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone,

Have a question, I have a parent who has asked me if i would take her daughter (10 mths) for her immunisations as she cant get time off work. Now I dont mind doing this but was wondering if anyone else does this and would I need a policy? and what should I put in the permission slip for example in case of allergic reactions/illnesses etc having difficulty in wording it have a mental block at the moment lol...:panic:

thanks in advance

Michelle xx:clapping: :thumbsup:

deeb66
28-02-2008, 12:58 PM
I will be honest....it is not something I would do but do know minders who do.

If you are happy to do it then make sure that you get a letter from mum instructing you to take the child and what injections are going to be given.

I would also cover yourself and have her state clearly the you are not responsible should there be any adverse reactions etc.

Pauline
28-02-2008, 01:08 PM
It is something I did in the past but don't think I would now with all the risks involved.

There was a thread on this subject some time ago and the general thoughts were that a lot of doctors won't allow it now anyway as they need to know that parents can change their minds right up to the last second.

I think you will get quite a few replies on this so watch this space! :)

Pudding Girl
28-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Have to say I wouldn't do this, as Pauline says, too many risks involved these days, and my gosh think of the amount of paperwork! Plus would the GP/Nurse even be happy with that happening anyway?

crazybones
28-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I wouldnt do it. I worried enough over the "ifs and buts" getting my own 3 done. I would see it as too much responsibility.

Annie x

michellethegooner
28-02-2008, 01:15 PM
oh ty will speak to mum this evening and get her to double check that the doctor doesn't mind me being there. I don't mind doing it with this one parent because I have looked after her 3 children over a 10 year period so we are like family, and she understands that the correct parperwork needs to be in place 'just in case', don't think I would do it for my other parents to be honest as like you say they're are a lot of risks involved....guess I'll have to do a risk assessment as well then ofgs lol :rolleyes:

michelle

michellethegooner
28-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I have drafted over a rough permission form and was wondering if you would let me know if you think it is suitable and if I should put anything else in..

Also if any one has any ideas on drafting a policy for this type of thing to go with this permission form I would be very grateful..Beginning to rethink about it now lol.

Thanks again

I have asked my child’s child minder xxxx to accompany my child xxxxto have her immunisations and she is happy to do so, I give my consent for xxxx to accompany my child to have her immunisation (please state which immunisation
__________________________________________________ _______)
0n the (date)__/__/____ and (time) _______.
I understand that (childminder)will NOT be held responsible if my child should suffer any adverse reactions due to the immunisation.
I understand it is my responsibility to inform my child’s GP/Health visitor and get permission for xxxx to accompany my child.

Signed_____________ name (print)________________
Date __/__/____.

I xxxx agree to accompany xxxx to have her immunisations as above, under the agreement, that should the child have an adverse reaction it is NOT my responsibility and that it is the responsibility of the parent to make enquiries and/or seek GPS/Health visitor’s permission for me to attend.
Signed______________(c/m) Name_________________
Date __/__/____

sarah707
28-02-2008, 02:34 PM
When I took my ds for his 3rd lot of immunisations, he had a siezure moments after the needle went in. I can honestly say it was terrifying, for him and me.

I had 1 mindee with me, plus his sister and he was being carted off to the hospital in an ambulance with an adrenaline pen sticking out of his leg.

My advice? Don't do it, it's the parent's responsibility

Banana
28-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I wouldnt do it either!!

You never know if something mught go wrong and I just wouldnt want the risk

x

ma7ie
28-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I used to work for a GP and only the parents could take the children because a consent form has to be signed before the immunisation. Even grandparents couldn't take them. I don't know if anything has changed in the last 2 years but I wouldn't think you would be allowed to.

tulip0803
28-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I have taken my daughter for her injection today and had to sign a permission form before the injection was given. I do not know If they would allow anyone else to sign in place of a parent. Also if there was some reaction to the injection then it is your signature on the permission form not the parent's and that may cause some problems for you legally even if a permission form had been signed by the parents.

I wouldn't want to do it.

Juliaxx

Rubybubbles
28-02-2008, 06:27 PM
When I took my ds for his 3rd lot of immunisations, he had a siezure moments after the needle went in. I can honestly say it was terrifying, for him and me.

I had 1 mindee with me, plus his sister and he was being carted off to the hospital in an ambulance with an adrenaline pen sticking out of his leg.

My advice? Don't do it, it's the parent's responsibility

:eek: how scart for you and the children

I wouldn't do it TBH sorry

Tily Bud
28-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I have done this a couple of times in the past but i dont think i would be happy to do it now x

angeldelight
28-02-2008, 07:15 PM
The old thread that Pauline mentioned was started by myself in the old forum

I had a parent ask if I would do it

I was going to but then changed my mind because I spoke to my GP (Parent had the same GP ) about it in the end due to everyone in the forum being against it the doctor said he felt that it was up to the parent to do this and they do not like someone else to do it

If something happened or the child felt unwell then it is best if they are with a parent

If you do it then make sure you get forms filled in

Personally though I would not do it and parents now know that I am not " allowed "

Angel xx

Tatia
28-02-2008, 07:24 PM
In my opinion, that is crossing boundaries. I'd never even dream of doing it. I understand that parents have trouble getting time off work and stuff but I'd think their child's health (physical and emotional cos they want their mummy or daddy after a jab!) would be a priority.

I'm not judging anyone else at all on the forums who does this or is thinking about it. It's just my personal feelings on the subjet. Trips to the doctor are the parent's responsibility (imho)!

wendywu
28-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Every working parent has holiday to take. If they have to put off the doctors for a couple of weeks it wont harm the child. There is no way i would do this.:panic:

michellethegooner
28-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Thank you all it is defo food for thought. I have never done it before but like I said this mum is one of my oldest on my books, but I explained everything I saw on here and told her to speak to her GP and if he is happy for me to do it I will do it this once, but I will not be signing any consent forms at the GPs so if that is what is required then I will not be doing it.

but thank you all so much I just said 'yes' on the spot without giving it too much thought, but have definatly had a re- think now..
I just thought it would be routine but like you all say things can and do go wrong, you learn something new every day and tbh I could do without the extra paperwork..

Thank you all :thumbsup:

michelle xx

miffy
28-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry Michelle have only just seen this

I wouldn't do it either - this one is definitely the parents responsibility

Miffy xx