PDA

View Full Version : I want to put my rates up, advice please

Denise r
24-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am in a bit if a dilemma I want to put my rates up as I am at the same rate as when I started in June 2008, £3.20 I want to increase to £3.50. I haven't done this yet as one of first kids I took on their Mum went on maternity leave six months from him starting and wanted to keep the space open for when she went back to work and of course that old devil called self-doubt! That Mum is now going back to work.:panic:

I keep putting if off as I feel bad, somehow guilty. I phoned two nurseries to see what they charge and they are around £46 ish for these particular days. I have also looked on Opportunity links and it looks like all the newer childminders are starting at £4.00 per hour.

Th one Mum will probably be OK but the new Mum, when I took the child on in April I said I was putting my fees up and basically she haggled and I relented so kept fee the same, so I know she will be very unhappy. She said she didn't expect to pay that amount for a new childminder (I had been going for 1 year). I only look after 2 children 3 days per week as I have my own 2 year old.:(

Please I need advice and help! My friend says tell them at collection that the ate will change in November and put it writing.

Help I feel really sick

Thanks
D:panic:

Minstrel
24-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree with your friend - your just going to have to bite the bullet and go for it otherwise you might end up feeling resentful of your job.

Put it in writing, give the plenty of notice as to when it is coming into effect and listen to them complain, nod sympathetically but dont back down. You dererve to be paid in line with others in your area and dont let them make you feel like you arent worth that.

Good luck x

~Chelle~
24-09-2009, 01:39 PM
childminders are starting at £4.00 per hour.

. She said she didn't expect to pay that amount for a new childminder (I had been going for 1 year). I only look after 2 children 3 days per week as I have my own 2 year old.:(

D:panic:

What difference does it matter how long you have been childminding, she is trying to pull a fast one. :mad: She knows that she would probably have to pay more if she took her child somewhere else.

I would just tell them that you are putting your prices up as of ** date and that you would like a contract review.

At the end of the day it is YOUR business and you can charge whatever you like, within reason lol:laughing:

miffy
24-09-2009, 02:17 PM
If you know your rates are competitive with other minders in the area and you are cheaper than nurseries then mum really has nothing to complain about, especially as you didn't increase your rates before.

Just put it in writing that your rates will be increasing to ........ from........ and leave it at that. Be prepared for the moaning and groaning but don't back down.

Miffy xx

Denise r
24-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Thank you for your replies, I have typed the letter and am summoning my courage (bottle of wine in fridge!), the one Mum is quite forceful but today is the day!

Thanks again:)

Denise

miffy
24-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
24-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Have you handed the letters out yet? If so how did it go?

I'm putting mine up soon, hopefully the parents will be ok after all I know they had pay rises this year :)

Carol xx

lovemyprams
24-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Dont get into the situation that I got myself into - I didnt increase my rates for 6 years!!!!!

Any new children were put on higher rates and my older children were still on old rates. I got into the situation that I was only getting £7 for before and after school (3 hours) which included snacks. (Other childminders in my area were charging £4 - £4.30 per hour)

I then decided I would send all parents a letter and informed them that my rates were being increased every Sept (coincide with school starting) every year from now on. Some were only increased by 20p-30p hour and some 10p hour. However, the ones that were never increased for 6 years are so far behind in hourly rates that my new ones.

I felt very guilty when I sent out my letters but none of my parents have ever complained or refused to pay.

At the end of the day if they want a fantastic childminder they should be willing to pay to look after their child which is the most precious 'thing' in the world. DONT SELL YOURSELF SHORT!

Phew that was a long post!:blush:

Ripeberry
24-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Bet she wouldn't like it if her employers moaned about her getting a pay increase! :mad: At £3.50 an hour you will still be cheaper than the others around you. Also if you stay too cheap, other CMs might get the hump.
Go for it girl :thumbsup:

RedDragon
24-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Bet she wouldn't like it if her employers moaned about her getting a pay increase! :mad: At £3.50 an hour you will still be cheaper than the others around you. Also if you stay too cheap, other CMs might get the hump.
Go for it girl :thumbsup:

Yes, I know a couple of Cms who have been CM for years - their fees are very low - I suppose their mortgages are paid off etc and when I spoke to them they seemed to think new CMs were charging far too much. This was women with 25 years experience charging £2.20 an hour!!

The Juggler
24-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I would, in your letter, say that the average is £4/hour in the area but you don't want to increase your fee by that much. Therefore you will increase it to £3.50 (if that' all you want to raise it by). Then they will see they are lucky you're not putting it up to £4 straight away.

Maybe do it now and don't start it until 1st January? That will give them plenty of notice.

Good luck.

Chimps Childminding
24-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Dont get into the situation that I got myself into - I didnt increase my rates for 6 years!!!!!

Any new children were put on higher rates and my older children were still on old rates. I got into the situation that I was only getting £7 for before and after school (3 hours) which included snacks. (Other childminders in my area were charging £4 - £4.30 per hour)

I then decided I would send all parents a letter and informed them that my rates were being increased every Sept (coincide with school starting) every year from now on. Some were only increased by 20p-30p hour and some 10p hour. However, the ones that were never increased for 6 years are so far behind in hourly rates that my new ones.

I felt very guilty when I sent out my letters but none of my parents have ever complained or refused to pay.

At the end of the day if they want a fantastic childminder they should be willing to pay to look after their child which is the most precious 'thing' in the world. DONT SELL YOURSELF SHORT!

Phew that was a long post!:blush:

I have just done similar. One of mine has just gone to school and her rate hasn't gone up since she started at 5 months old!! All mine except 2 are £3.50 hour and these 2 are £3.00 per hour. So I have put out letter saying that from Jan 2010 I propose to increase their fees by 30p and then from Jan 2011 increase again to bring into line with everyone else. By giving enough notice I know that if they are not happy they have time to look elsewhere. One parent came back fine with it, not got other one till next week so will wait and see!

Denise r
01-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would let you know how I got on with putting my rates up.
No problems :clapping: They all accepted and said how happy they were with the service I provided! What a relief! Not going to do anything about holiday pay at the moment as the amount I put it up by should cover 3 weeks holiday spread out over the year but I am thinking that at the next review in 2010 I am going to ask that one of their weeks holiday is taken at Christmas.

Thank you for your support

Have a great day

Denise:) :jump for joy:

Pipsqueak
01-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would let you know how I got on with putting my rates up.
No problems :clapping: They all accepted and said how happy they were with the service I provided! What a relief! Not going to do anything about holiday pay at the moment as the amount I put it up by should cover 3 weeks holiday spread out over the year but I am thinking that at the next review in 2010 I am going to ask that one of their weeks holiday is taken at Christmas.

Thank you for your support

Have a great day

Denise:) :jump for joy:

Well done, sometimes things aren't as bad as we imagine them to be:clapping:

suez
01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
hi just wondering if you have increased your fees before your contract has been renewed how would you go about it ive sent out letters stating a increase and also 1 to put in with my contract to staple together as parents havent returned yet i am still able to increase arent i thanks in advance x

The Juggler
01-10-2009, 09:13 PM
hi just wondering if you have increased your fees before your contract has been renewed how would you go about it ive sent out letters stating a increase and also 1 to put in with my contract to staple together as parents havent returned yet i am still able to increase arent i thanks in advance x

I wouldn't put it up before the review if the contract was less than a year old unless you have a rate review written into your fees policy.

Pipsqueak
01-10-2009, 09:50 PM

Unlike Juggler I would put my fees up if they weren't working for me - what notice period do you say you will give of any changes? Send out a personal letter to each parent stating the rise and from the effective date.
Get them to sign and date and clip it to the contract, review date it and write in new fees along with your initials and parents.