PDA

View Full Version : October Themes

patevans
24-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Has anyone started looking at themes for October yet? I really need to get organised with paperwork over the weekend!

claireodon
24-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I have some ideas but I also have to incorporate some fire safety/fire drill this month as well cos I haven't done one yet.

Grandparents Day (4th Oct) already mentioned but I'm doing stuff for that next week

Child Book Week (5th-11th Oct) - library visit, bring your favourite book, make a bookmark, make jigsaws using pics of characters from fave books

Diwali (17th Oct) - look at story of Diwali, decorate a candle, maybe have a go at rangoli patterns using coloured chalk or rice, I have a recipe for Kheer (an Indian version of rice pudding) which we might try as well

and at the end of Oct my daughter's favourite - Halloween!! Pumpkin related activities galore :laughing:

Andrea08
24-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I cut out the "Diary" from the ncma mag and use this for my MTP but its not arrived yet would like some good Diwali ideas,

not sure do i need permission for a halloween party?

miffy
25-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Some divali ideas here

http://www.under5s.co.uk/diwali.html

Miffy xx

miffy
25-09-2009, 06:48 AM
I cut out the "Diary" from the ncma mag and use this for my MTP but its not arrived yet would like some good Diwali ideas,

not sure do i need permission for a halloween party?

I've never asked for parents permission to hold a halloween party - I do tell them and no-one's ever objected. I don't think it's any different to any other festival we celebrate.

Some lovely divali things here too

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/diwali.htm

Miffy xx

claireodon
25-09-2009, 10:15 AM
A day nursery my daughters went to had to cancel the Halloween party they used to have every year because 2 parents complained that their children were frightened. My daughter was gutted, especially cos we hadn't been told and she and her little friend turned up in Halloween costumes and had to take them off!!

Chimps Childminding
25-09-2009, 05:08 PM
A day nursery my daughters went to had to cancel the Halloween party they used to have every year because 2 parents complained that their children were frightened. My daughter was gutted, especially cos we hadn't been told and she and her little friend turned up in Halloween costumes and had to take them off!!

That seems so unfair!!!! Why should everyone miss out just because 2 parents objected:angry: ? what happens if someone from a different religion complains about the Christmas party or the easter Egg Hunt, does everyone miss out on that too?

I know not everyone likes halloween (and I have to admit I do get annoyed with the teenagers who come trick or treating), but there are so many festivals and celebrations we are supposed to acknowledge now, there is always someone not going to be happy. Maybe these children should have been kept off the day of the party!:rolleyes:

claireodon
25-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Well, if it had been my child that was frightened, I know that I wouldn't have expected the whole nursery to miss out...I would have taken the day off work if need be so that I could care for my child at home for 1 day. Loads more parents complained because the party was cancelled. The nursery did say that if they had gone ahead with the party after receiving the 2 complaints, Social Services would have been called in to investigate.

Carol
28-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Topic/Theme for October is going to cover Toys as that is what my local nursery are doing.

Mine will cover
Favourite Toys, Construction Toys, Moving Toys, Puppets, Special Toys

some of the things which will be covered in the 6 areas of learning:-
PSED Caring for toys, sharing, feelings,
CLL Describing toys, asking questions, story telling, new words
PSRN Shapes, Counting, sizes
KUW Building, exploring movement & materials
PD Balancing, moving with control
CD Using imagination, sensory exploration

Also Diwali and other festivals

Carol

OrlandoBelle
28-09-2009, 07:59 PM
MY THEMES FOR THE MONTH -

Autumn - walk in the woods. Collect leaves, pine cones, conkers etc and then use them for printing/painting.

The cinnamon scented playdough again - use pine cones, leaves etc to mark mark into it.

Diwali - This is my first October as a Childminder so not really clued up on it yet, but am going to take a look at the sites recommended on here to find out more about it and introduce activities based around that.

National Book week - I have ordered some bookmarks with a nice poem on from ebay. Going to give one to each child. I am going to ask Parents to bring in their child's favourite book, make our own book marks, etc

Halloween - I have bought some black cauldrons from Asda (£1 each) and some orange pansies from the garden centre. The children are going to plant a cauldron each to take home for Mum. Going to have a little party on the Thurs or Fri before. There's some great recipe ideas in Asda's free magazine - yummy cakes and things. So think we will make some of them and get the children to dress up, make masks, pumkin carving, etc.

I love this time of year, so I'm really looking forward to it!:clapping:

FussyElmo
28-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Its world animal day on the 4th October. It ties in with it being the feast of St Francis of Assisi:thumbsup:

mammumof4
01-10-2009, 09:07 PM
ive also cut out the NCMA page of events and its on my wall. did anyone see the hedghog making page! i did it today with my afterschoolers and my own boys and it went down a treat!
we went on a nature walk on tuesday and collected loads of twigs, one of my mindies noticed a hole in the ground so we started talking about hibination and looked at pics on the net and printed some hedghog coloring pages, we made the hedgehogs today and put them in a box with leaves and twigs and wrote "please be quiet, hedgehogs sleeping" and a cute pic of a hedgehog in a bed with his hot water bottle and alarm clock, wake me up in spring! the kids loved it and so did i, it was my first proper activity planning and im so pleased with myself at how well it went! :D

SandCastles
01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm still waiting for my NCMA Magazine - so haven't seen their calendar yet.

I am doing book week, asking parents to bring in their favourite book, making a simple book mark

Collecting conkers (after schoolers) and leaves for a autumn display.

We have a travelling fair come to us next week, so we will be making fair ground pictures using coloured chalk on black paper (bit like fireworks) and eating traditional fair food, looking at fair ground rides in books.

Sarahbelle
04-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I am doing Autumn. We are going on an Autumn walk and will collect leaves, pine cones, acorns, conkers etc to do painting, counting etc.

We are going to make Divali tea light holders and cards and carve pumpkins for halloween.