PDA

View Full Version : morning or afternoon for the big o?!

charliegee
23-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Hello everyone

Just wondering (although I guess it could be anytime!) - Do Ofsted usually do inspections in the morning or the afternoon.

Only thinking...I leave home at just before 3pm for school run....so when I do have an inspection - is it likely to be in the morning / before school run

....how do ofsted inpections work with school runs?!

(I only registered a couple of months ago but am getting scared of "the call!" - even let my poor mother go to voicemail today as she phoned me on my landline!! - only Ofsted and my mum use that number!! :laughing: poor mum!

sophiestars
23-09-2009, 10:36 PM
In my experience I have heard of more morning inspections but that's not to say other people haven't had afternoon ones.

When your inspector rings to say they are coming they will usually ask what days you have children and you can tell them then that you have a school run at 3. They may then come earlier so the inspection doesn't clash but often they will go and sit in their car until you are back.
I have heard of one childminder who invited the inspector along on the school run (walking) and they had a good chat and answered some questions on the way!

By the way don't mean to scare you even more but I was registered in March and I got a phone call in May to say my inspection would be in the next 2 months. in the end it was at the beginning of july so I had been minding for 4 months. :eek:
The biggest piece of advice I can give is to do your SEF and start it now so you don't have to rush it when you get the call!!

singlewiththree
24-09-2009, 06:04 AM
I had a phone call giving me the exact day and time she was coming to fit in with me. It was after the school run and then she was late and rang me to say she was lost :) and could I give her directions to my house :laughing:

She only stayed 1 1/2hrs. I have heard of morning appointments never any afternoon ones and they do usually ring to check your schedule and if they aren't there by 9.30 to go about your day.

miffy
24-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Ofsted can call at any time - it's up to the inspectors how they organise their day.

Most will ring and give you a few days they may call, some will say if they're not there by 9.30 they aren't coming that day and if you're really lucky they might tell you the exact day and time.

If you have to do a school run or playgroup pick up they will usually wait in their car until you get back.

Miffy xx

Winnie
24-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Mine have always come in the morning, but there is bound to be the exception that proves the rule :panic:
Ofsted inspectors cover large areas these days so she will probably give you an idea of the time -if not the day- to avoid her arriving late and finding you out. They will work around any school runs and not come on a day you do a toddler group-unless you say you're out at toddlers every day:laughing: then you will have to cancel one or two:(

happytotschildminding
24-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi - I had before & after schoolers only for my inspection and she came an hour before I went out for the school run 2 ish to see paperwork then went away and came back after I'd picked them up for about an hour and a half.
Cheers,
Carol

LisaH
24-09-2009, 05:55 PM
My inspections have all been in the morning too. I was told if I'm not there by 9.30 i'm not coming:)

Mrs.L.C
24-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Iv also had morning inspections and so have all the people I know. I think they understand we do school runs so theres no point turning up at 1/2pm otherwsie they would have to get all of it done before we had to leave to pick the children up and then they wouldnt come after 3.30/4 as they will want to finish ready to go home by 5pm but like some one has said. I think they try to arrive by 10am otherwise they probably wouldnt catch us in as we would be out at toddlergroups/parks etc

Annie_T
24-09-2009, 09:39 PM
they will tell you on phone when call...

they asked me when i mind, if i had go out at any times then said well if i not there by 10 then i not coming unless ive called you

so dont worry

Andrea08
24-09-2009, 10:12 PM
dont want to worry you hun,,,

when you get the call just tell them the days and times you are IN
ofsted will then call when they know you are home for a few hrs so to get as much info as poss. they can and do stay as long as they feel they need to and for me that was about 5 and a bit hrs,
the best way to show ofsted how good you are is a full informative SEF use the old one if you are due an inspection but save your work to your PC and mem stick ok

good luck

Jules12Wed
25-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Seems like i'm the only one that's had an afternoon one.

Mine came just as we were sitting down to eat lunch about 12.30. Although I did suddenly look at my watch while she was here and realised it was 3.00 and I needed to leave for school so it was a bit of a mad "i'm really sorry i've got to get to the school" and we both rushed out of the door together!!

v 1461
25-09-2009, 10:18 AM
hello,

I always had mine in the morning at about 9.30 am.
she will ask you anyway when you are around.
good luck!

charliegee
28-09-2009, 10:44 PM
thanks very much everyone

I'm hoping for a morning one...just want to get it over with now!!

(only just starting minding now after reging at beginning of summer!) eek!!

good luck to all those due for their next / about to have first visits!

x

Trouble
28-09-2009, 10:53 PM
ive always had mornings:D

OrlandoBelle
29-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Mine called on the monday and asked when I was next minding that week. I panicked as I was nowhere near ready for her so I said Thursday... thought that would give me a few days to get my paperwork in order. She then told me the exact time she would be there. I was a nervous wreck, but when it came down to it she got lost and called me for directions. This put me at ease a bit as I knew she was on her way.

She stayed for about 3 hours but it went so quick. She left at 12 when I had to do the pre-school run.