PDA

View Full Version : Diversity resources for babies

venus89
27-02-2008, 11:33 AM
My next question is what kind of diversity resources are suitable for babies? I have Playmobil which works for older one (it includes ethnic characters, wheelchairs etc) as a start and am thinking about getting some multicultural musical instruments. I'll look at Chinese New Year etc and do foods and suitable crafts then. But how do I promote diversity to a 9 month old?

Heaven Scent
27-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I have my own feelings on this and that is to have psitive images and artifacts/ toys in the environment which they can absorb and they can listen in on what you are saying or doing to an older child and again with the undder 5's keep it very simple and basic and they are naturally curious and will ask questions about skin colour etc etc etc. I have just borrowed some toys from my childminding group. There should be a lending facility at your childrens centre I think they may enforce a small charge I cant remember what they said at my ICP but because the group I attend pay a small fee each week just like mums and tots we can borrow free of charge for a few weeks at a time especially around inspection time.

Celine.

sarah707
27-02-2008, 12:14 PM
All resources should blend with each other, so I provide a range of books, toys, comics, dressing up clothes, cooking implements, menu items, images etc etc all of which show a range of people of all different colours and abilities. :D

venus89
27-02-2008, 12:44 PM
So basically when it comes to babies it's just a case of them watching what the others do with their diversity stuff - be it a specific set or part of something else. So if I make sure I lay my hands on a couple of baby books with ethnic (and hopefully disabled) characters and provide diversity related arts activities etc (colour in the chinese dragon) then I don't need to have anything specifically for babies?

Thank you both x

miffy
27-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree that you should have artefacts and pictures which show positive images in everyday use but if you are looking for toys etc that are suitable for 9month old baby then look at the happyland range from elc, little tikes and fisher price little people

Miffy xx

venus89
27-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Ironically I had a huge set of that and ebayed it (for £75 - that was a happy day lol) a couple of years ago. That's a good idea, thank you. I'd forgotten Happy Land. My kids used to love it. x

miffy
27-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Ironically I had a huge set of that and ebayed it (for £75 - that was a happy day lol) a couple of years ago. That's a good idea, thank you. I'd forgotten Happy Land. My kids used to love it. x

Oh that's a shame but I've done that before and then finished up buying the same things again!

Miffy xx

crazybones
27-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I got loads of Happyland stuff and ordered this yesterday
http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-42400

Annie x

Rubybubbles
27-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I got loads of Happyland stuff and ordered this yesterday
http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-42400

Annie x

I've got these they are great for linking in with other stuff for the older children too:thumbsup:

Spangles
27-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I've got those too!

I think sometimes it's easy to get hung up on diversity items but I wouldn't worry about it for a 9 month old. The baby will see the other things you have around the house and can bash about with african drums and shake maracas or whatever but it won't mean anything to him/her other than being something to play with.

You could have music from different cultures playing in the background and maybe learn nursery rhymes from other countries to sing to the baby but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Buying cardboard books with pictures of babies or people of different colours as well would be fine. I used to have a babysigning book for my son and the children in it were from all different cultures and we looked at it together all the time.

angeldelight
27-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I agree with Lorri

Wouldnt worry to much yet

Angel xx

Heaven Scent
01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I agree with you Lorri, Does anyone know where to get music from around the world?

Celine

Spangles
01-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi Celine - Notcutts garden centre has lots of different cultures CDs in if you've got one of those. You could look on E-bay? Plus I think The Festival Shop does them online? There will be loads of other places that do it too though.

x

deeb66
01-03-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree with you Lorri, Does anyone know where to get music from around the world?

Celine

I think ELC does some

There are also some fab sites out there to get these sorts of resources.

I have added the link of one of my favourites.

http://www.kidslikeme.co.uk/music-c10.html

Heaven Scent
01-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks a million for those girlies

Celine

Tatia
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I actually find those ELC Happyland People of the World a bit stereotypical and offensive. I am assuming the cowboy is supposed to be American?! :rolleyes: Cos all Americans walk around in cowboy hats and bandanas. :mad: And the French guy has a string of garlic and French bread? Ridiculous! I don't mind the other 4 because they are typical (or at least cultural) dress for the country they represent so I guess I could just chuck the 2 I don't like.

I guess the cowboy American beats the other choice - loud mouth, brash American tourist Happyland character! :D :laughing:

Spangles
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Oooh! Who's being stereotypical now!

I personally think they should have had a lady with big hair, cowboy boots and obviously very over weight with a cheeseburger in her hand!

HA HA HA HA!

Sorry, nothing horrible meant by that in the slightest just made me giggle!

I guess England's would be a bloke in a bowler hat with a cup of tea in one hand and a cucumber sandwich in the other. Or, maybe a teenager in a hoodie, spitting and smoking a joint with an asbo certificate under their arm?

Tatia
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Oooh! Who's being stereotypical now!

Hey, I'm American, I'm allowed to stereotype!:D

Hehe, thanks Lorri, you've given me a good giggle!