PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Tatjana
18-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I charge a daily rate of £35 and a part time hourly rate of £5 ph.

I've had an enquiry for 3 days, for 7 hours a day. Now my part time fee would amount to the same as my daily fee.

Do you think it fair to charge this even though they won't require the full day?

I'm wondering whether to offer a small discount? ...as enquiries are few and far between recently!

TIA
xx

The Juggler
18-09-2009, 01:07 PM
might be worthwhile. or tell her she can use the extra hours (whatever your working day is) when she wants as she is paying the same as a daily rate anyhow? That way you get your money and she has flexibility

~Chelle~
18-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Well if you charge an hourly rate of £3.50 (which his the norm round here) you would be losing almost £30.00 per week.

At the end of the day, it is your business, if you feel happy charging a part time rate then go for it.

fridaysoff
18-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi:)

I had a very similar situation when I started.
3 days care is good, my daily rate is for 8 hours so if I got enquiry for 7 per day I would try my best to charge the daily rate and nobody has turned round and said they wouldn't pay. I usually say what I charge for a daily rate and that's that, I don't have written down a short stay fee, just that it may be available under special circumstances and that way I can make the decision that's right for my current situation. I have offerred concessions before and found that that person may then ask for a different concession another time if they see me being open to negotiation so my advice would be to set out clearly the terms of any reduced rate and that this is a special instance which you will have to re-evaluate perhaps when you do the next contract. If you have other clients in paying a higher rate and they find out that could get tricky. Also depending on the age of this child you could potentialy have them for 2-3 years or if that parent has another child they may expect similar discount unless its all written down.
You could offer some flexibility and say the person could use up the spare hours, but if you get full or another client wants to change their bookings you could find you've made a promise you can't keep 6 months down the line. It's always so hard making decisions about new equiries, a crystal ball with the NCMA pack would be a good addition!:thumbsup: good luck x

julie w
18-09-2009, 03:45 PM
7 hours a day is a full day in my mind. You wouldn't get someone to make up the extra hours so they are taking up a full time place.

Princess Sara
18-09-2009, 04:09 PM
7 hours a day is a full day in my mind. You wouldn't get someone to make up the extra hours so they are taking up a full time place.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you have a daily rate then use it.

Tatjana
18-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you ladies, I think i'll go with my daily rate and I agree it wouldn't be fair on my existing parents.

xx

Chatterbox Childcare
19-09-2009, 04:35 PM
If you multiply 7 hours by £3.50 then it is £24.50 and personally I would want £35 for the space

Tatjana
20-09-2009, 12:22 PM
If you multiply 7 hours by £3.50 then it is £24.50 and personally I would want £35 for the space

I charge £5 ph not £3.50, i think someone else mentioned £3.50.

I told her the fees and she's still interested so will see how it goes now!

xx

Chatterbox Childcare
20-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I charge £5 ph not £3.50, i think someone else mentioned £3.50.

I told her the fees and she's still interested so will see how it goes now!

xx

Sorry I thought that a day rate would be 10 hours (based on my day) and that is where I got the £3.50 from

Good luck with the enquiry

TheBTeam
20-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I never offer a day rate, i simply charge per hour for all hours contracted whether used or not, that way they all pay for what they use! I then 'play' with the rate depending on the number of hours/days/times etc.

If i offered parents a day rate which reduced my hourly rate then i would just get 'dumped' with a load of kids for a lot longer, and i would feel that i was doing this bit for nothing!!!!

Tatjana
21-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I never offer a day rate, i simply charge per hour for all hours contracted whether used or not, that way they all pay for what they use! I then 'play' with the rate depending on the number of hours/days/times etc.

If i offered parents a day rate which reduced my hourly rate then i would just get 'dumped' with a load of kids for a lot longer, and i would feel that i was doing this bit for nothing!!!!

I totally see your point. The thing is this seems to be the way most of the cm's work around here, being newly registered I thought it best to do the same....personally I don't want a full timer as like you say the hourly rate would be rubbish!

Part timers are more lucrative for me.

xx