PDA

View Full Version : Changing Hours - what to charge?

ManicMum
16-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Hello

My mindee's Mum works in care and her contracted hours to me were Monday to Friday 7-3pm.

Today she has told me her hours are changing and she will now do Mon, Tues and Weds 7-4pm.

I have asked her if these are her definite hours as if i take anyone on for the Thurs and Fri, which the chances are I won't as unlikely someone will just want those days (but you never know!), then she can not then change her hours again. it is her employer who has changed them, not her.

I am new to childminding so still finding my feet. Some childminders think I should be charging for a whole week though I think that a bit much. Should I be charging through til 6? That is the latest I would work to on a normal day.

thanks for your help!:)

Pipsqueak
16-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Personally I would only charge for those hours and try to get someone to fill the other space UNLESS mum wants you to hold those extra spaces/hours open. If that is the case (the latter) then I would be charging a retainer.

I would perhaps up the fees by 25-50p per hour to accomodate for part time hours. But that is just me!

Daftbat
16-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I would only charge for the three days.

atmkids
16-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree, I would only charge for the hours worked if she doesn't want you to hold the place for the other two days but put up the hourly rate.

margimum
16-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Personally I would just change the contract to her new hours/ days.
You could tell her that if the other two days are not required you will be at liberty to take someone else on for them.
You could also warn her that if a full timer came along you may have to give her notice.
Depending what it says in your contract you could make her pay thurs & fri for the number of weeks specified, but that may be a bit mean as she is also having her hours cut without asking for it:(

Chimps Childminding
16-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I would charge her for the days/hours she needs. Most of my mindees only come 2 or 3 days a week so I am sure you will be able to fill the other two days if mum doesn't need them. If she may do then I would charge half fee for those days to keep the space available. If she is not happy and doesn't want to pay a retainer for those 2 days, I would make it clear that I could not guarantee they would be available if she ever needed them!:thumbsup:

The Juggler
16-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I would only charge for days/hours used. You could say you need full-time so you will do the three days but charge to 6 but the likelihood is parent will then leave child until 6pm so depends on whether you want to work that late.

I have 5 children filling my 3 under 5 spaces. I have 2 children mon, tues and wed, another 1 mon and wed, another 1 tues and friday and 1 friday only and another 4 year old who just started school (technically over 5) still in EYFS on Mon and Friday.

So many parents work part-time now I am sure you will fill your vacancies.

My Friday only parent works Thurs, Fri in a job share it's just a auntie looks after the child on the other day.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I would only charge the days but it would be a full day rate as you start at 7 and they go into you after school space. It would be 10 hours per day.

ManicMum
17-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks Ladies.

She just signed an 8 week contract with me and Working for Families last Friday for 40 hours a week Mon-Fri 7-3pm and now changing her hours. They are paying all her childcare at the moment. I am pretty annoyed to be honest as changing to Mon, tues, weds 7-4pm will be over £200 less a month for me, which is not an insignificant amount. Round here it is hard to get clients as small town and semi-rural, so guess will just have to go with it as need the money!

I am going to ask childminding association for advice re. contract to see if WfF are still liable for the 8 weeks otherwise what point of contract if you can just tear it up with no notice! unfortunately, contract doesn't give termination period (this is a Workign for Families contract, not mine).

Thanks for your help. This is a great website!

The Juggler
17-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks Ladies.

She just signed an 8 week contract with me and Working for Families last Friday for 40 hours a week Mon-Fri 7-3pm and now changing her hours. They are paying all her childcare at the moment. I am pretty annoyed to be honest as changing to Mon, tues, weds 7-4pm will be over £200 less a month for me, which is not an insignificant amount. Round here it is hard to get clients as small town and semi-rural, so guess will just have to go with it as need the money!

I am going to ask childminding association for advice re. contract to see if WfF are still liable for the 8 weeks otherwise what point of contract if you can just tear it up with no notice! unfortunately, contract doesn't give termination period (this is a Workign for Families contract, not mine).

Thanks for your help. This is a great website!

I reckon they would at least owe you 4 weeks notice at the 40 hours. Then change to the lesser hours.

ManicMum
21-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Hiya

just to update and have a moan!

Client's Mum told me Friday hours would be Mon, Tues, Weds 7-2.30pm. She had previously said would be same hours just over 3 days instead. Well, this is a lot less hours. She is doing more hours but later in day, so it's same hours for her but no mention to me that i will be worse off. Her Dad (the Grandad) finishes work in afternoon so her plan is to get her child so he can watch her for rest of day. Just got my head round this and was planning to advertise Thurs, Fri space. Then this morning she has arrived and said hours will now be Mon, Tues and Thurs 7-2.30pm. I can't keep up. I asked her if they would be same now each week and she just said they should be. what are chances someone wants Weds or Fri as odd days?

Sorry to moan. I know we are self employed and should expect this stuff but still annoying nonetheless. I have decided to advertise my services around the area and if i get someone more reliable, I think i will have to go with them. Is this a no-no thing to do? This is my first client so don't want to get bad reputation but this is getting ridiculous. What would you do? I've gone from earning £160 a week to £96 or something. In space of week after agreeing 8 week contract just a week ago at £160. Going to ring the helpline in a minute and see what they say.

Cheers!

Chatterbox Childcare
21-09-2009, 07:07 AM
If the contract is with you then you should get paid so why negotiate a new one. I would do the hours mum wants but still get the 8 weeks money from working families.

If you are unhappy with the drop in hours them look for another child whilst you have the 8 weeks but have you sat down and discussed this with mum and explained that you fees rise for part time? Sometimes it is just communication.