PDA

View Full Version : term time only

mrslowe
15-09-2009, 07:06 AM
i have a child on a tuesday but term time only. do i charge when she isnt here??

Twinkles
15-09-2009, 07:38 AM
The usual is to charge 50% fees as a retainer. This is what I and many others do. What is on your contract ? Is this what the parent is expecting ?

margimum
15-09-2009, 02:14 PM
You can charge a retainer to keep the place available to her, but if you do it would stop you being able to offer a full week place to someone else in school holidays, so is it worth it?

Polly2
15-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi do you mean do you charge during school holidays? If you have a term time only contract then you wouldn't charge.

I mind for some teachers and I charge 50% retainer during hols but they sometimes choose to use me - the space is theirs.

Annie_T
15-09-2009, 02:55 PM
i have a term tim only mindee and dont charge for her not being here in half term.

you can mind someone just for half term if it arises. just means summer holidays will be a poain as 6/7 weeks of that income not coming in x

singlewiththree
15-09-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't charge for holidays only for term time. One of my term time only pays directly to my bank and pays every month throughout the year. Another one pays by cheque weekly and the other cash.

Ripeberry
15-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I do term-time only and don't charge a retainer. This is because I don't work in the school holidays as it suits us as a familly.
The parents know this and know not to ask me to mind during the school holidays.
In a couple of years I may change this, but it works fine for me :)

The Juggler
15-09-2009, 06:04 PM
I have quite a few familes who are termtime only. I do work in the holidays for two families but only 2 days per week.

I like it that way so don't charge those who come t-time only but I do spread the annual costs over 12 months so I have the same money coming in each money and so I get paid over the summer.

Did you discuss it when you signed contracts?

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't charge for the holidays and take on others in that place. If you charge a retainer you cannot take on another in that place as it needs to be available should the parent want it

miffy
16-09-2009, 08:53 PM
i have a child on a tuesday but term time only. do i charge when she isnt here??

A lot of childminders do charge a retainer (usually up to 50% of the normal rate) but others don't and try and fill the space in the holidays.

You need to work out whether you want to work in the holidays - you shouldn't charge a retainer if you aren't available to work - and whether you would be able to fill that space with another child.

Miffy xx

bibi571
16-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I've one family that are teachers, but they pay an enhanced rate. They are f/t though. They only pay term time and they chose to pay monthly to spread the cost, it means that i've got a set amount coming in and don't have months with a vast drop and no cash at all in the summer holidays, so works out well for me. Also during the holidays i know that i won't have him at all which helps with when i've got the afterschoolers.

I choose not the charge a retainer for during the summer as i want to make sure they won't send the child - i've had others that would! The enhanced fee works well for both of us.

B x :littleangel:

suez
17-09-2009, 03:26 PM
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: im gonna sound really thick now :o but what is the difference between retainer and deposit iv never used either my friend tried explaining but didnt quite get it x

grindal
17-09-2009, 03:41 PM
A deposit is a set amount of money that the parent pays you on completion of contracts. It is a gesture of goodwill on both parts that the contract will be honoured. It can be refundable or non refundable and is usually 1 or 2 weeks fees.
A retainer is an amount paid per week if you are holding a vacancy for a child. So, if you had a space now, but mum wanted to take it up in December you could charge her half fees for Oct and Nov to keep the space for her. You can only charge a retainer if you have a vacancy.

suez
17-09-2009, 03:59 PM
ok have i got this right i have a after schooler that may be starting ,the parents are coming out next few days when we have completed contracts do i then say in a nice way they are to pay a deposit of say 2 wks or a month and it will be taken off their bill is that right i think i under stand that your always payed in advance then to make sure of non payment

thanks for the reply x

Ripeberry
17-09-2009, 04:53 PM
That's what I did. Parents paid a £100 deposit and they had a total of 4hrs free settling in sessions. Then the deposit was used to pay for the first few full days and then I produced an invoice, clearly showing the deposit paid, the amount due and how much they needed to pay and by when.

HomefromHome
17-09-2009, 05:44 PM
i have just started a term time only contract - 2 days a week - i didnt see the point in charging throught the holidays for just 2 days. leaves me able to do holiday care.
however if i had a 4 or 5 day term time only child i would charge half fees through each holiday.:)

Zoemum2four
17-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I look after a couple of mindees term time only for 2 days a wk and dont charge for holidays......leaves me free to do block wks through the hols(holiday care)

mumx3
22-09-2009, 12:09 PM
I have a term time only child and I like it that way. I am unavailable to that family in the holidays and so I dont charge a retainer. I calculated a years fees and spread it over 12 months, easier for mum and me that way....until she leaves and I have to work out if I owe her anything!

westbrom44
22-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi.

I charge all year for under fives, unless I am on holiday. I only do term time contracts for school children.

It is entirely up to you and what you can afford to offer.