PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one????

flora
14-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Am I the only one who can't underatnd why so much fuss is being made about a school sheep being killed for meat????

I can underatnd the kids getting attatched, mine do, but that doesn't stop them eating their " freind"

Surely the parents knew this was going to happen and should have been preparing their kids months ago, not waiting for the media to whip it inot a story so they could say how "traumatised" their poor lo is going to be :panic:

As I say is it just me being harsh?????

sweets
14-09-2009, 07:43 PM
no i think it was the right thing to do, children have to learn where food comes from.

What a lot of people are upset about tho is that the children were not told what was going to happen when they first got the sheep, they named it and thought it was a pet! which i think is wrong, they should have been told at the start.

flora
14-09-2009, 07:53 PM
If this is the case the yes the head was wrong.

Kids should always know where they stand from the start :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
14-09-2009, 07:55 PM
is this something in the news?

breezy
14-09-2009, 08:06 PM
no, on the dinner table :laughing:
sorry, couldnt resist:blush:

PixiePetal
14-09-2009, 08:11 PM
:laughing: Breezy!!:laughing:

I agree though that they should have been told from the beginning what would be happening to the lamb.

When I was a nanny, the family had lambs in the garden but the children knew they would be meat at the end. Did name them though - Torvill and Dean :laughing:

kindredspirits
14-09-2009, 08:20 PM
i presumed that the children did know where the sheep was going to end up - i think they should have known, and i actually think its a great idea. we are all too ready to feed our children meat without teaching them that chicken dippers do not grow on trees! :laughing:

flora
14-09-2009, 08:22 PM
is this something in the news?

Where have you been Pip???

It's been on the news and in the papers etc etc.

School in Kent, has farm, reared bottle fed lamb and now it is time for lamb to become chops.

Village is now divided on whether said lamb should be killed and the meat raffled off for school funds.

Paul O Grady has even offered lamb a home on his farm.

There is prob more to this but that is the story in a nut shell :laughing:

kindredspirits
14-09-2009, 08:24 PM
lamb is now chops - i think at the last look! ;)

flora
14-09-2009, 08:32 PM
He is :thumbsup:

some people are suggesting the kids will need counselling :eek: :eek:

What kind of kids are we raising?????

Or should we be counselling the parents on how to handle this better I wonder ????:D

kindredspirits
14-09-2009, 08:35 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: i would have thought what the kids need is a nice casserole :thumbsup: :D
i remember when i first went to spain and saw the cold chickens getting their heads and feet chopped off in the supermarket, ugh, at least its honest but theres a reason i don't each much meat!!

FussyElmo
14-09-2009, 08:36 PM
So all the parents are vegatarians then. Or do they believe that meat doesnt come from a dead animal. They probably should have told the children but to kick up such a fuss!!!

Amaranth
14-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I totally agree, kids should know what they are eating and where it came from. My dd (8) knows where meat comes from and has done for some time. She understands that some animals are kept as pets and that some are 'eating animals'!

I have not heard this news story either pip! :blush: not seen news for a few days but I agree, if the school have let the children rear this lamb as a pet without telling them what was going to happen to it, they have gone about it the wrong way :mad:

Counselling???!!! Surely just a good explaination and some truth from school and parents would have been better? :rolleyes: How are children going to cope in the big wide world if they are protected from everything :panic:

Ok, time to get down off my box now! :blush:

sweets
14-09-2009, 08:55 PM
counselling!!! oh for goodness sake just get over it kids! here have a lamb chop to chew on lol:laughing:

Blackhorse
14-09-2009, 10:05 PM
well this is difficult really isnt it..
I mean I think kids should know where meat is coming from and that some animals are pets and others are not.
that doesnt mean I think it is a good idea for them to experience that without proper explanation from beginning to end.
the problem is that if kids get attached to an animal they will be upset if it gets killed. If kids grow up on a farm they experience that from when they are little and it isnt a big deal...ever.
but I am not sure the same can be said for school children. they have probably never even seen a lamb before (some of them anyways) and if they got attached to it then it would have indeed been very sad for them (not to the point where they need counseling but that is a whole other issue)

I for myself would not have been happy for my dd to have a little pet lamb in school that then gets eaten.
I now kids have to learn this but I just dont think this is the right way to do it as I believe it is taken out of context too much. If you grow up on a farm there are lots of animals and you tend to not get attached to all of them that much...so if one gets eaten..its just one of many...(I lived on a farm and yes I had my favourite chickens etc...but as there were so many of them...one particular ''loss'' wasnt such a big deal..iyswim.
Also on a farm that kind of thing happens all the time whereas in the school that was a one off event which makes it even more significant? Unless I am mistaken there.

on the other hand I think it is madness that parents go completely mad over things that upsets their little darlings...and the media doesnt help matters at all..they just make everything worse...just wait for the no win no fee lawsuit that will follow...madness.

Lady Haha
16-09-2009, 08:47 AM
well this is difficult really isnt it..
I mean I think kids should know where meat is coming from and that some animals are pets and others are not.
that doesnt mean I think it is a good idea for them to experience that without proper explanation from beginning to end.
the problem is that if kids get attached to an animal they will be upset if it gets killed. If kids grow up on a farm they experience that from when they are little and it isnt a big deal...ever.
but I am not sure the same can be said for school children. they have probably never even seen a lamb before (some of them anyways) and if they got attached to it then it would have indeed been very sad for them (not to the point where they need counseling but that is a whole other issue)

I for myself would not have been happy for my dd to have a little pet lamb in school that then gets eaten.
I now kids have to learn this but I just dont think this is the right way to do it as I believe it is taken out of context too much. If you grow up on a farm there are lots of animals and you tend to not get attached to all of them that much...so if one gets eaten..its just one of many...(I lived on a farm and yes I had my favourite chickens etc...but as there were so many of them...one particular ''loss'' wasnt such a big deal..iyswim.
Also on a farm that kind of thing happens all the time whereas in the school that was a one off event which makes it even more significant? Unless I am mistaken there.

on the other hand I think it is madness that parents go completely mad over things that upsets their little darlings...and the media doesnt help matters at all..they just make everything worse...just wait for the no win no fee lawsuit that will follow...madness.

I agree with every thing you have just said! I have to admit to being a little surprised that no one else seems to think this could be really very upsetting for a child! I would be furious if this had happened to my son! Seeing sheep and cows etc in fields and pointing them out to kids and explaining thats where meat comes from is completely different to 'getting to know' one particular animal and then having it killed!!! Even as an adult who eats meat, this would upset me!!! I think I would become vegetarian overnight!!! This might be hypocritical but just the way I am!

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2009, 09:01 AM
When I was at school I reared chicks only to have to pluck and cook them once they were old enough to eat

Even though the lesson was good and I could now pluck a chicken I still remember them growing and how upset we were when they were killed

flora
16-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Our kids look after and eat the animal we keep.

TBH I think iit is the way the parents handle the situation.

If handle sensitively but practically most kids are very accepting of this.

And before you round on me, I do sometimes get sentimental about eating them so I do have feelings but most times my practical head takes over.

The main thing I think about this story is the way the parents are blowing up into this huge circus and claiming their little darlings are scarred for life.

Surely if they had the best interest of the child they would be helping the child come to terms with it all and adjust instead of making a strom in a tea cup.

My neice is one of the softest kids about and if she cna eat one of my "girls" and be ok, then I am sure just about any kids will survive :thumbsup:

littletreasures
16-09-2009, 07:12 PM
My 3 year old mindees Mum is a vegetarian and Dad is a meat-eater.

Mum has brought up mindee to be a vegetarian - until recently.

He came to me last week and said "I went to Ikea and had dead pig and dead cow meatballs. They were yummy!!!!"

Mum tells it to them straight. He also eats dead cow jelly and dead cow spaghetti bolognese!!

sweets
16-09-2009, 07:15 PM
My 3 year old mindees Mum is a vegetarian and Dad is a meat-eater.

Mum has brought up mindee to be a vegetarian - until recently.

He came to me last week and said "I went to Ikea and had dead pig and dead cow meatballs. They were yummy!!!!"

Mum tells it to them straight. He also eats dead cow jelly and dead cow spaghetti bolognese!!

sorry! had a little laugh at that!:laughing:

breezy
16-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Our kids look after and eat the animal we keep.

TBH I think iit is the way the parents handle the situation.

If handle sensitively but practically most kids are very accepting of this.

And before you round on me, I do sometimes get sentimental about eating them so I do have feelings but most times my practical head takes over.

The main thing I think about this story is the way the parents are blowing up into this huge circus and claiming their little darlings are scarred for life.

Surely if they had the best interest of the child they would be helping the child come to terms with it all and adjust instead of making a strom in a tea cup.

My neice is one of the softest kids about and if she cna eat one of my "girls" and be ok, then I am sure just about any kids will survive :thumbsup:

totally agree