PDA

View Full Version : EYFS - opening the folder!

sarah707
26-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I hope this gives you some idea of what to expect when you open your glossy, shiny folder - shortly before it falls to pieces as you try to ram all the paper back inside!

Sarahx

This is the 'Statutory Framework'... the bits we have to do

What does it replace?

• The National Standards
• The Birth to 3 Matters framework
• The Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage
From September 2008, it will be statutory…. compulsory for every setting which cares for under 5s

The Statutory Framework - a walkthrough...

Section 1, pg07 - introduces the overarching aim of the EYFS which is to help children achieve the 5 Every Child Matters outcomes of –
• staying safe
• being healthy
• enjoying and achieving
• making a positive contribution
• achieving economic well-being (Childminders translate this bit as proving our 'organisation'

Section 2, pg11- sets out the learning and development requirements for the EYFS, covering –

• personal, social and emotional development;
• communication, language and literacy;
• problem solving, reasoning and numeracy;
• knowledge and understanding of the world;
• physical development;
• creative development

It emphasises that none can be delivered in isolation from the others and all must be delivered through planned, purposeful play with a balance of adult-led and child-initiated activities

Section 2 also lists the Early Learning Goals (ELGs) and explains assessment arrangements for children when they reach the age of 5

Section 3, pg19 – gives an overview of the welfare requirements which replace the current 14 standards –

• safeguarding and promoting children’s welfare;
• suitable people;
• suitable premises, environment and equipment;
• organisation and documentation

There are 3 sections for the welfare requirements and these are all listed from pg22 –

• general legal requirements which must be complied with;
• specific legal requirements which must be complied with;
• statutory guidance to which we should ‘have regard’

The welfare requirements also talks about risk assessments to ‘secure children’s safety at all times’

Section 4, pg41 – sets out other legal duties for providers

Appendix 1, pg44 – lists the assessment scales for the Early Learning Goals (ELGs)

Appendix 2, pg49 – talks about adult child ratios – the Childminder section is pg51, part B, 11 – 14

Glossary, pg52 – there is a full glossary of terms

There is/are also - cards (to help you link it all together), a cdrom with loads of links for extra reading, practice guidance to tell you how to do it all and a rather fetching poster which will look lovely displayed in your front porch!

Heaven Scent
26-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I hope you are not serious about displaying poster in front porch I would laminate it and display it in my cloakroom where children hang their coats if they did an A4 size well I would for a few months after new children start. If things are left on display too long people stop seeing it.

Celine:clapping: :clapping:

button68
26-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Sarah, how do I get my hands on one of these shiney packs?

Monkey1
26-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Isn't the poster in a4 too on the front of the card pack? The big poster takes up half the room on my wall!

sarah707
26-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Sarah, how do I get my hands on one of these shiney packs?

I think they are due out soon.... the new updated bits I mean!

And the poster bit was a joke! :laughing:

I should have said, sorry, I've just moved this from the Full Members Area - when I originally posted it, we didn't have an EYFS section here... but a lot of people are asking questions now, so I thought I'd pop it in Members too :D

Banana
20-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for this Sarah!!

I still not to take a serious look through it all. I keep reading a little bit at a time and then getting bogged down. The pack is just so big looking but bit by bit i'll get there- probably just in time for september lol

xx

crazybones
21-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for this Sarah!!

I still not to take a serious look through it all. I keep reading a little bit at a time and then getting bogged down. The pack is just so big looking but bit by bit i'll get there- probably just in time for september lol

xx

I got as far as putting the disc in laptop yesterday and started the walkthrough. Then my head hurt so I turned it off. :o

bubbly
21-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I've got as far as being given the folder a week ago and shoving it in a cupboard :D

barbarella68
21-03-2008, 12:23 PM
OMG I got this pack a few weeks ago and got totally flustered
Alyson x:(

deeb66
22-03-2008, 05:34 PM
OMG I got this pack a few weeks ago and got totally flustered
Alyson x:(

My recommendation would be to take it a bit at a time and try to make sure you understand it before you move on.

I started with the Stautory guidence first as it was familiar ground for me bearing in mind that I had been working to the 14 standards for so long.

I then moved on to the Guidence book but made sure that I understood every page before I moved on to the next.

Good luck.

sarah707
22-03-2008, 05:37 PM
That is very good advice Dee... my copy is littered with post-it notes attached to bits I'm not happy with, waiting for a chance to talk to someone more knowledgable... :D

deeb66
22-03-2008, 05:43 PM
That is very good advice Dee... my copy is littered with post-it notes attached to bits I'm not happy with, waiting for a chance to talk to someone more knowledgable... :D

Think you might be waiting for quite some time Sarah :rolleyes: :D

Another thing I did was put the guidence book into a file.

I broke the spine of the book and seperated the pages and put them into clear covers and into a file.

So much easier to read......or remove sections you want to focus on!

smartie
26-03-2008, 12:07 AM
my copy is littered with post-it notes attached to bits I'm not happy with, waiting for a chance to talk to someone more knowledgable... :D

:panic: The bit about a none mobile lockable medicine cabinet - Are they being real !!!! Mine is in a high kitchen cupboard with a childproof catch on the door - is this sufficient!

Quote: Providers should keep prescribed medicines in a locked non-portable container.

angeldelight
26-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Mine is the same so its tough if thats not good enough im afraid

Angel xx

smartie
26-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I broke the spine of the book and seperated the pages and put them into clear covers and into a file.

So much easier to read......or remove sections you want to focus on!

Ditto: I've done the same. Much better. Bought a special file from Staples - An Easel Binder which you can use like a flip chart. Makes it an awful lot easier to find what you are looking for!

oakie dokie
26-03-2008, 06:31 AM
thankyou ladies for your idea of putting in a file, when i find where i left my time i am going to do this but in the meantime it will have to go on my list of things i need to do. (i cannot find time anywhere!):laughing:

hazelx

sarah707
26-03-2008, 07:47 AM
:panic: The bit about a none mobile lockable medicine cabinet - Are they being real !!!! Mine is in a high kitchen cupboard with a childproof catch on the door - is this sufficient!

Quote: Providers should keep prescribed medicines in a locked non-portable container.

I posted this a while ago - Statutory Guidance update re. storage of medicines... it might help set your mind at rest :D

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandlearning/EYFS/clarificationsandfaqs/

devoncm
26-03-2008, 10:40 AM
how come i dont have one?
do you have to go on the course to get it?

sarah707
26-03-2008, 11:01 AM
how come i dont have one?
do you have to go on the course to get it?

It's new and they were given out at courses - or you could get one direct from dfes... it's out of print just now though because of updates, so I'd wait for the next print run. :D

devoncm
26-03-2008, 11:10 AM
ok thanks ill wait for my course then im just waitng for dates to be confirmed