PDA

View Full Version : Fees whilst a child at play group

Sophiestar
14-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Can i just ask everyone what fees they would charge whilst a child is at play group.

I mind a little one that is starting play group tomorrow and had a discussion with the parent on friday about what my charges are whilst the child would not be with me, i told the parent that my fees stay the same as i would be dropping off and collecting and explained that she would still need to pay for the place as it is only 2.5 hours (2 days a week)and i wouldnt be able to fill the short space of time.

Not seeming very happy about this i thought that she would get over it and accept it as she is a good friend and her little one loves being with me and has been for so long now.

But guess what, i was wrong...............i got my notice this morning, can you believe that.

wendywu
14-09-2009, 10:46 AM
So what does she expect to do on inset days and during the holidays for you to still have mindee ? Show her the NCMA book stating that you should be paid while mindee is at nursery.:panic:

One less friend on your Christmas now :laughing:

rickysmiths
14-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Sorry to hear that. I charge my parents if I drop off and collect and one of my mindees who I have had since six months old has just started 2 full days a week. My fees wont change until they are in full time school and are out of my under five numbers. This parent has also been paying full fees while mindee was at play group all the last year for 2 mornings. Never been a problem.

One of the others started at playgroup last week for two mornings and no discount has been asked for. Mum is paying for playgroup as well because mindee isn't 3 until Nov so won't get funding until Jan 2010.

Maybe this mum was looking for a change and was too embarassed to say and this gave her an excuse? Do you know where she will be going now?

Polly2
14-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Oh thats a shame - sometimes its just about the money :(

Mouse
14-09-2009, 11:56 AM
That is a shame.

I only ever once had a parent complain about having to pay while the child is at nursery/playgroup.
I said that I would be happy for her not to pay, but that she would have to collect the child to take him to nursery & drop him back to me again afterwards as I wasn't prepared to do the drop off/pick up if she wasn't going to pay for the time he was there.

Daftbat
14-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I charge if i drop off AND pick up from nursery or playgroups - i assume i am taking responsibility for the child during this time anyway and like someone else says they would at least need to pay a retianer to you to keep the place open for holidays etc.

Blackhorse
14-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I too charge if I drop off and pick up...after all I cannot fill the spaces and if something happens at nursery/playgroup I still get the phonecall..
has not been a problem for the parents...but mindee is 3 so she gets the nursery session for free so at least the parent doesnt have to pay twice..
Sorry to hear you got the termination letter...

I hope she is ware that most places will charge her for the time!! she might even come back to you once she finds that out!

Chatterbox Childcare
14-09-2009, 01:31 PM
We all drop of and pick up and we all charge.

Shame you lost a little one but you are well rid of the parent. Not as though she is paying for the nursery place?

Sophiestar
17-09-2009, 06:14 PM
After speaking to other childminders in my area i was told that they all charge for the time the child is in play group/nursey if they are dropping off and collecting, i cant understand why the parent thought i was so wrong by doing this, as far as i gather this is the way it is.

This week has turned into a nightmare, she wont even speak to me now when dropping the child off and collecting her (how pathetic), i have been trying to act as normal for the little ones sake but its very hard when someone who i thought was a friend and has upset you that much and can turn so nasty.

Since monday morning i have had many emotions, i have cried, been so angry at what she has done and at things she has said and basically felt so fed up.
Does anyone else ever wonder if its really all worth it as i am beginning to.

sophiestar xx

margimum
17-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes Sophiestar, I often ask myself why?
If it weren't for parents:angry: it would be the perfect job:laughing:
Good for you being so professional, feel free to rant on here:laughing:

Chimps Childminding
17-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Perhaps you should print out some of the threads/posts on here and show her so that she can see MOST childminders charge while a child is at nursery as it is impossible to fill the few hours they are there!!!!!

Sophiestar
24-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I just thought i would give you all an update of the situation, well the notice still stands and the parent still cant bring herself to speak to me. I dont think that i can go on like this for another 2 weeks.

I have just done the drop off at play group and was told by another childminder that the little one is going with another childminder that i know of, we go to the same drop in and some of the same toddler groups. How awkward is this.

I really feel like telling the parent (my so called friend) just to call it a day now and not worry about the notice period.

sophiestar xx

Twinkles
24-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I just thought i would give you all an update of the situation, well the notice still stands and the parent still cant bring herself to speak to me. I dont think that i can go on like this for another 2 weeks.

I have just done the drop off at play group and was told by another childminder that the little one is going with another childminder that i know of, we go to the same drop in and some of the same toddler groups. How awkward is this.

I really feel like telling the parent (my so called friend) just to call it a day now and not worry about the notice period.sophiestar xx

I would to be honest it's just not worth the stress is it ?

I can't believe your friend is treating you like this !!

It will be interesting to see if the other minder charges while lo is at playgroup.
If she doesn't will she hold a place for school holidays ?

It's a horrid way for this to end but it sounds like if it wasn't this it would have been some other thing she didn't agree with !

Hope you get another mindee really quickly and a lovely set of parents ( there are some out there you know ) :thumbsup:

solly
24-09-2009, 12:49 PM
This happened to me a few years ago for the same reason and the woman was a great friend of mine, we used to go out in the evenings together and with our DH's and we shared a passion of horses so did lots of things outside of the business arrangement.
She was a professional woman in a high powered job, from the day she gave me notice she did not speak to me when she dropped off or picked up i had the little boy 4 days a week from 8am-5.30. Her husband even apologised for her behaviour on the occasion he picked up (she wears the trousers). I put up with it for 3 weeks and decided to call it a day as it was really upsetting me. I am pleased i did it

I have lost a good friend over something so trivial. I see her occasionally but we only ever say hello when passing

Sophiestar
24-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I know for a fact that the other childminder does charge for a child at play group or nursery, the parent used to have her childmind her son when he was little and done nothing but moan about her a the time.

Hopefully when the little one goes with her the parent will realise her mistake.

I really dont think i can take it any longer i think its time to call it a day.

sophiestar xx

Sophiestar
24-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Just to add i have another child starting on monday yaaaaaaay!!

mushpea
24-09-2009, 01:40 PM
i know how you feel about it being awkard with the other childminder as iwas in a similar situation.
a parent of a school child i looked after gave me notice saying she had found another minder because my house was to hetic and noisy when she picked up, she said the child liked it here but she couldnt put up with the madness!!, in the end i went up to the childminder and spoke to her saying no hard feelings etc as it wasnt her fault and i didnt want awkard feelings every day and now i have gained a friend from it cause we chat at the school and toddler groups.

singlewiththree
24-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Just to add i have another child starting on monday yaaaaaaay!!

Well done! That will annoy her that you are carrying on :)

miffy
24-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I really dont think i can take it any longer i think its time to call it a day.

sophiestar xx

If you feel like that then I'd cut and run but put it in writing and have her sign to agree it otherwise you might find her bad mouthing you for "letting her down" or worse a complaint to Ofsted.

Sounds like she expected you not to charge her because she is your friend and she's cross not to get her own way.

Some friend :rolleyes: I think you've had a lucky escape.

Miffy xx

funtoplay
24-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I only have one to drop off at preschool but I charge half fees to keep the space open for the holidays. Mum collects from preschool.

Julia

HELEN10
24-09-2009, 04:43 PM
So glad you have managed to fill her place. I have been hurt before by so called friends and its not nice. Shame she didn't think of the child in all of this and consider her welfare and happiness!

HELEN 10