PDA

View Full Version : How many outing risk assesments do you have?

Ripeberry
13-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm lucky that we have at least 4 parks, 1 garden center playground, 2 softplays, 2 CM groups and a bird sanctuary that we can visit all within 10 miles of us.
But I take it, I have to write a risk assesment for every single one.
What about the CM group? Do I need to do one or use theirs?
Thanks

sarah707
13-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I have lots!

I just did one the other day for a different combination of children to the children's centre (i'm taking 2 now rather than 3 last term).

Best to keep on top of them - I know a minder who was actioned recently for not having a RA for taking different children on outings.

In fact, it's on my to do list to RA each child for road safety, risk of running off etc... :D

It's a small world
13-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I have one for shoolruns / one for visiting park / one for visit ducks - these are reviewed every 3 months but have a space if anything new crops up ie: road works etc. Then have one for car outings and one general one which is completed every time we go out including any cm groups/playgroups etc oh and one for public transport - not yet used!!!

hth

It's a small world
13-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I have lots!

I just did one the other day for a different combination of children to the children's centre (i'm taking 2 now rather than 3 last term).

Best to keep on top of them - I know a minder who was actioned recently for not having a RA for taking different children on outings.

In fact, it's on my to do list to RA each child for road safety, risk of running off etc... :D

sorry sarah what do you mean by different children on outings??? and hjave you just added this or done a whole new ra saying how many children to each group??? confused???

sarah707
13-09-2009, 04:51 PM
She was actioned for not having a RA for ...

John and Jane going to the park on Monday...

John and Kate going to the same park on Wednesday...

Different combinations of children throw up different issues I suppose.

I've only heard of this happening once and I am still waiting for more information about it... but if one inspector is saying it, we need to know exactly what is being expected.

It's a learning curve :rolleyes: :D

Ripeberry
13-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I think she means a RA for each child for EACH outing! Which makes sense if you have a 1yr old and maybe a 6yr old. How on earth are CMs who have lots of kids on their books going to manage?
Or is it because most of them would be after schoolers for just a couple of hours or so and would not go out that much?

It's a small world
13-09-2009, 05:27 PM
so can I add a box to my park etc ra or do I just do a brand new RA saying: combination of children ra:

RA Outing:

Where to we going to : The Park
Date: 14/09/09
Children Combination: T, D and Te
What risks are identified: Strangers/ Dogs/ Embankments & Water /stream on way to park/ Rubbish & dangerous objects in park IE Glass etc/ Play Equipment safe
Precautions in place: Harness, strap, pram - ensure all clean and working correctly/ Mobile phone charged/ emergency contacts/permission slips for outings/first aid kit
Extra precautions Check weather / ensure suitable clothing/ sun cream applied if necessary/ ensure gate is enclosed once entered park
Other RAs notified and actioned: TBA

Does this sound ok? Does anyone sign and date there RAs???

sarah707
13-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I date mine! :D

It's a small world
13-09-2009, 06:38 PM
so can I add a box to my park etc ra or do I just do a brand new RA saying: combination of children ra:

RA Outing:

Where to we going to : The Park
Date: 14/09/09Children Combination: T, D and Te
What risks are identified: Strangers/ Dogs/ Embankments & Water /stream on way to park/ Rubbish & dangerous objects in park IE Glass etc/ Play Equipment safe
Precautions in place: Harness, strap, pram - ensure all clean and working correctly/ Mobile phone charged/ emergency contacts/permission slips for outings/first aid kit
Extra precautions Check weather / ensure suitable clothing/ sun cream applied if necessary/ ensure gate is enclosed once entered park
Other RAs notified and actioned: TBA

Does this sound ok? Does anyone sign and date there RAs???

Sorry Sarah like above ? would this be acceptable then???? guess Im going to have to retye my RAs AGAIN....desperately need a new printer now mine broke Thursday..looking at a new one but deciding which would be best....its never ending :p

sarah707
13-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I put a date at the bottom... then when I add something like roadworks or a swan on the path, I re-date it.

that way O can see that I am coming back to them and checking they are up-to-date regularly :D

It's a small world
13-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Cheers Sarah you came to my rescue again :clapping:

Zoomie
13-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I finally updated all my exisiting RAs this weekend. :clapping: :clapping:

As I only had two children (same family), made comments as to issues with regards to this combination of children.

However tomorrow, C starts school, and J is a new mindee so I am going to make comments as to how this new combination will be risk minimised.

Then come school holidays I may have all 3 mindees, so am going to have to make more comments. :panic:

Doing RAs on individual children definitely makes sense :thumbsup: , but unfortunately more work.

Thank you Sarah ! What would we do without you.

singlewiththree
13-09-2009, 07:33 PM
My risk assessments are:
all local parks
walks to school
walk to nursery
car journey
getting from the house to the car
getting from the car to destination
local soft play
all toddler groups
local attractions

I have just written on them what I would do with different ages rather than for the individual children so who I would get ready first, age, requirements etc rather than the name of the child. I then review it and sign and date it at the bottom and also do a full over view when a new child starts or a year has gone by.

Chatterbox Childcare
13-09-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm lucky that we have at least 4 parks, 1 garden center playground, 2 softplays, 2 CM groups and a bird sanctuary that we can visit all within 10 miles of us.
But I take it, I have to write a risk assesment for every single one.
What about the CM group? Do I need to do one or use theirs?
Thanks

Do one for each type of setting - i.e. 1 for parks

tashaleee
13-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I have just done one for each type of setting - ie one for soft play centres, one for parks, one for feeding the ducks, one for animals (lots are in local garden centres!), one for walks/school runs, one for car, etc.... no idea if Im right or wrong but as I have an inspection next week I guess I will find out :rolleyes:

My opinion is if Ofsted think I have time to write a risk assessment every single time I leave the house (depending on which children I have at the time, considering I have floating contracts due to shift workers so dont have the same children each day each week) they are on a different planet. I dont believe it sais anywhere in their standards that I have to write one every single time I leave my house (wouldnt that affect the safety of the children if Im always doing paperwork? hmmmm) - and I look forward to the challenge of an argument with them if they try to tell me otherwise... :laughing: