PDA

View Full Version : Icp course.

mel72
10-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi new to website, had ofsted visit, just awaiting registration doc, now have to complete icp training course. Can anyone tell me what course is like, how long etc. Also live in Havering Ofsted said you can sometime get funding. Does anyone know anything about this.:)

sarah707
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your local people will be able to tell you about the course and funding - it's different depending on where you live.

Good luck with it all! :D

It's a small world
11-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I didn't pay for any of my courses when I regsitered I recieved a EYCC WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT TRAINING ID CARD. Provided by my county council
When I did nmy courses there were a selection of dates and had to book on them whenever a place was available. However it recently change and now they do them in blocks. So all done within a few weeks .

Most of the courses are 1-1.5 days (these will probably be split ie: 3 half days or 4 half days depending on the course.

HTH by the way Im in Northamptonshire so it may be different in your area.

Welcome to the forum by the way:clapping:

Vyx
11-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Here in Cheshire (as an example) the ICP is 2 hours a week, over 9 weeks, and we get the grant info somewhere in the course.

I'm told that in Cheshire, the grant is between £200 and £300 depending on where you live.

Good luck

Vyx

xx

mel72
11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Thank you all, I have tried to get on ICP course, but fully booked spread over 8 weeks, the next one is March next year. So now im really confused because I understand I can start childminding when my registration doc arrives, but I don't know anything about insurance, documents I need in place. Can anyone help!!!!:mad:

mississmoomoo
13-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Thank you all, I have tried to get on ICP course, but fully booked spread over 8 weeks, the next one is March next year. So now im really confused because I understand I can start childminding when my registration doc arrives, but I don't know anything about insurance, documents I need in place. Can anyone help!!!!:mad:

The ICP course is the first step then you have to do paediatric first aid course and a food hygieni course. Once you have done this and you have to create a portfolio conaining all your policies and procedures, fees, introduction to your service etc. Once that is done you need to arrange for a pre-reg visit with the DO and she will give you your application for Ofsted.

Once they have recieved that they will call to visit and if successful your registration certificate should be with you within 4 to 6 weeks. Once you get your certificate you must make sure that you have Liability insurance and that if you use a car it is insured for business use before using it with minded children.

All in all it should take around 6 months from your ICP course to being fully ready and registered.

Hope this helps:D

sarah707
13-09-2009, 04:34 PM

It is very unusual for you to be registered without finishing your ICP course.

As Vyx says here in Cheshire they don't even let you see your application forms or put in your CRB until you have finished your 12 week course... never mind have a pre-reg visit!!

It does say in the Eyfs that you must have a course 'within 6 months of registering' but I would suggest you will be at a serious disadvantage for your first graded inspection if you have not been on your course before it happens.

You must however definitely have your first aid certificate before registering or Ofsted will grade you inadequate.

Again I suggest you speak to your local people and Ofsted.

hth :D

mississmoomoo
13-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi new to website, had ofsted visit, just awaiting registration doc, now have to complete icp training course. Can anyone tell me what course is like, how long etc. Also live in Havering Ofsted said you can sometime get funding. Does anyone know anything about this.:)

I didnt read your thread properly, as Sarah said, how did you get you application? Have you done your policies and procedures and your portfolio? Sounds very odd to me, are they aware you havent done your ICP yet? Or is it that you have done the module required and are completing the whole course?:)

viclou88
17-09-2009, 05:27 PM
im doing my icp at mo but here (lincoln) you have up till 6months after you have registerd (have certificate) to complete it! Also had to do safe guarding childrens course before i was aloud to be fully registered. Icp is okay course! mines spread over three sats 9.30 - 2.30 :)

Suzanne11
17-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I m in the same situation here in Surbiton, can register now but icp doesn't start till jan - so I've been looking at doing the distance version of the course - I found one here: http://www.nec.ac.uk/childcare/product?product_id=1861&category_id=4660

Let me know if you do it as I'm going to do this one too.

Suz x:)

BeckenhamCM
17-09-2009, 11:44 PM

Hi :-)

I have just registered but I have already done my ICP - however - OFSTED now state that you can register as long as you complete your ICP course within six months of registation you are totally fine, so you might just be ok if your next course is March, as long as you are booked on it I think - I would check with OFSTED however.

Hope this helps.

Ash xx

Tatjana
19-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I was registered and then did my ICP course through NEC.

hth

xx

mississmoomoo
19-09-2009, 03:58 PM
So when Ofsted came on the registration visit had you done all your policies and procedures especially one on safeguarding children? And had you also completed your portfolio. I had to show mine at my visit and my course certificates.

Sorry for loads of questions, Im just curious as I went to my LO who put me in the right directions with doing the ICP course etc.

Plus I really dont see the point in being registered before you have all your qualifications as you cant do anything, or could you? Surely they will have given you a registration number which can allow you to childmind, after all you are now a registered childminder.

Tatjana
20-09-2009, 12:28 PM
So when Ofsted came on the registration visit had you done all your policies and procedures especially one on safeguarding children? And had you also completed your portfolio. I had to show mine at my visit and my course certificates.

Sorry for loads of questions, Im just curious as I went to my LO who put me in the right directions with doing the ICP course etc.

Plus I really dont see the point in being registered before you have all your qualifications as you cant do anything, or could you? Surely they will have given you a registration number which can allow you to childmind, after all you are now a registered childminder.

Of course i was a registered childminder and could start minding. No sure what esle you mean?

I didn't have to have any polices/procedures done for my pre reg, although i did do most of them...inspector was pleased with this.

All i had to show was my First Aid certificate. I had to complete my ICP within 6 months of being registered, which i have done.

hth
xx

68nic
29-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Hi Mel, Ive just read your thread ,Ive just applied to become a childminder, have just sent my questionaire off and waiting for my pre-reg meeting, Im from havering too, just wondered how you are getting on, have you had your icp course yet ? if so what was it like? I found this forum so usefull, cant stop reading.:)

Chell
30-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I didn't pay for any of my courses when I regsitered I recieved a EYCC WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT TRAINING ID CARD. Provided by my county council
When I did nmy courses there were a selection of dates and had to book on them whenever a place was available. However it recently change and now they do them in blocks. So all done within a few weeks .

Most of the courses are 1-1.5 days (these will probably be split ie: 3 half days or 4 half days depending on the course.

HTH by the way Im in Northamptonshire so it may be different in your area.

Welcome to the forum by the way:clapping:

I'm in Northants like Kerrie. Kerrie, is ours called the ICP as I'm doing four days of 9.30-3.30pm but it is called something else, I forget the name, something about Pathways I think. Is this the same thing? if so then you have to have completed within 6mths of registration in this area.

Mia'smummyx
30-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Hello, I am also havering, you should of had a form in which you send to havering when you send your ofsted form off, i have been booked onto the next course which is at city limits, we dont have to pay i rang and spoke to the lady, she also did say there is only a few spaces left so better call asap as the next course will be over your 6months,
Will hopefully see you at the ICP
Leah xx

bruneibabe
11-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I was registered and then did my ICP course through NEC.

hth

xx

im doind my ICP through the same college as i live overseas..how did you find it, all the paperwork and abbreviations are scaring me..got a headache already and havnt even pulled the plastic off the course notes..did it take you long? were the assignments hard? i already have a NNEB but that was earned many moons ago so i am an old timer not looking forward to going back to school, i am registered on the understanding that i pass the ICP by June this year..wish me luck !!