PDA

View Full Version : How do you charge?

Cazz
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I know you have all answered this question loads of times before but I wanted to see how the majority of you charge for after-schoolers.

Do you charge your normal hourly rate or a session fee?

My reason for asking is that when talking to the mum of my dd's friend last week she said that perhaps K could come to me 2 days a week instead of the after school club up the road. She said she would rather pay someone she knows. K has now left the Junior School on that site and started at the High School elsewhere.

I asked my sil (who works at the school :D ) to find out how much the after school club charges and she just phoned me and said £5.50 for 3.00pm - 6.00pm :eek: In the holidays they charge a session price (8.00am - 1.00pm and 1.00pm - 6.00pm for £10.00 :eek: - that works out at £2.00 an hour and my hourly rate is going to be £3.20!)

Obviously K's mum has been paying £5.50 so I don't want to look as though I'm being greedy by charging a lot more. She would walk home from school with dd and I know she wouldn't be any trouble here - she came for a sleepover last week and is a lovely girl. Do you think I should charge the same as the after school club and provide a snack but charge the meal price if she wants tea (which she probably won't).

I've been talking to another childminder who lives a couple of roads away and she said there haven't been any enquiries for the last few weeks, so on this basis and because I would be up against the after school club should I pitch my fees low?

Also, is it okay to charge different fees for families and hope they don't talk? I.e. match the after school club for dd's friend if they want to sign but charge more at a later date for other famillies if things have picked up?

Sorry this is a bit long but I want to be clear in my head what to say to her when my registration certificate comes through if she does want to go ahead.

zippy
09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
hourly, from when i have to set off to collect them

Cazz
09-09-2009, 11:20 PM
hourly, from when i have to set off to collect them

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't have to collect this mindee so it wouldn't affect any other mindees I have at all which makes me think I could do it for a lowish sessional fee?

PixiePetal
10-09-2009, 07:24 AM
I have it in writing that I am not responsible for a child who arrives independently until they arrive at my house.

I used to ring child when they leave school, on their mobile to check they are on their way and then text mum when they arrive. Obviously she will be with your DD but if DD is off ill she will be alone. Cover all bases.

I used to have mindee from 3.30 till 7 and charged enhanced hourly rate plus meal. Mum was more than happy as unsociable hours.

rickysmiths
10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I charge 50p more per hour for anyone who is less than 20hrs a week so this includes before and after school.