PDA

View Full Version : Left before starting

grindal
09-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Hmmmmm......
I signed up a before school mindee on Monday. Mum came along with her daughter wanted an hour and a half care and a school drop off - she signed contracts there and then and I asked for the deposit and weeks fees up front when she dropped her daughter off on Tuesday. Well, on Tuesday she phoned and told me her daughter was ill and today she has phoned and told me she has changed her mind. i know she can do this, as we agreed to a 2 week settling in period, but can I still invoice her for the deposit? She has used up a set of paperwork and alot of my time preparing for her daughter? Any advice about this situation, or how I can avoid it in the future?

FizzysFriends
09-09-2009, 07:03 AM
I doubt you will get the money off her now as the whole idea of a deposit is money taken at contract signing as a guarantee over the period of waiting for the contract to start.

I would just put it down to experiance.

grindal
09-09-2009, 07:13 AM
The sensible side of my brain knew that was probably the answer, but am annoyed as I have spent the last 2 evenings getting things ready for her and the last 2 mornings waiting for her. Will need to toughen up:angry:

rickysmiths
09-09-2009, 07:18 AM
I don't think I would and I somehow think you would be unlikley to get it. I always take the deposit on signing contracts because it is written on the contract that it has been recieved. Put it down to a learning curve.

wendywu
09-09-2009, 07:20 AM
At least you are not owed for work done. That would annoy me more.

You may have had a lucky escape.:eek:

grindal
09-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Rickysmiths that is what i have done in the past, but as mum had no cash on her I said I was happy for her to give me the deposit and fees the following morning when she dropped her daughter off! Learning Curve it is then - am probably annoyed as I have already spent the money - but that is another thread altogether :blush: :blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Your contract is not in place as all the terms were not completed - i.e. the deposit was paid

You just need to absorb the cost I am afraid

grindal
09-09-2009, 07:41 AM
At least you are not owed for work done. That would annoy me more.

You may have had a lucky escape.:eek:

To be honest Wendywu I think i might have done. while I was explaining my terms and conditions she kept giving me dates her daughter would not be attending and I explained about 4 times that if her daughter did not attend she was still required to pay me. She also said she wanted very occasional after school care for a couple of hours, which when I questioned her about it, was likely to be at least once a month and until about 9pm :eek:

Allie
10-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Looks like a lucky escape to me

Allie

little daisies
16-09-2009, 05:35 PM
i`ve had that b4, but all the parents wanted was my registration number to claim tax credits

grindal
17-09-2009, 05:04 AM
i`ve had that b4, but all the parents wanted was my registration number to claim tax credits

I have wondered if this is what she was doing, either that or she found out she was not entitled to as much tax credits as she thought in the first place?

Monkey1
17-09-2009, 05:24 AM
I have wondered if this is what she was doing, either that or she found out she was not entitled to as much tax credits as she thought in the first place?

i would call tax credits, give her address and just say that you haven't had this child and that the lady no longer requires your services........just to cover yourself!

grindal
17-09-2009, 06:43 AM
i would call tax credits, give her address and just say that you haven't had this child and that the lady no longer requires your services........just to cover yourself!

OK thanks for that.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-09-2009, 08:39 AM

The new advice sheets from the IR say that it is the responsbility of the parent and not the childcarer to talk to IR.

Hebs
17-09-2009, 09:18 AM
i have done this before (informing tax credits)

they were very thankful even if mum was not lol

Tatjana
18-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Ah, what a waste of your time and resources. I think so many people expect childcare to be cheap as peanuts and to take it or leave it when they want without having to pay.

xx

kellsni
18-09-2009, 09:08 AM
The same thing happened me, but this was for 2 children full time she came along and signs to sets of forms for children and then waited for her and she never turned up, I rang her and she said that they never offer her the job so does not need me anymore:angry: so she did not even have a job to start with:mad:

little daisies
18-09-2009, 09:28 AM
i`ve tried informing tax credits before they say its up the parents to inform them not the childminder ( stupid if you ask me) then they wunder why so may people are claiming for things there not supposed to