PDA

View Full Version : Meal and snacks as part of fees

Tealady
08-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I currently include all meals and snacks as part of my hourly rate. Partly to keep billing simple and prevent problems over perceived value for money and also it means all the children eat the same as they don't bring their own food in.

However tomorrow my afterschool mindee was not going to come to me as she had a hospital appointment. Her Mum asked if I would be charging so I said yes as that was our contract. She subsequently asked me if I could therefore still pick her up from school and she would then collect her from mine as soon as we got back. I said I was fine with this. I then got a text from her this evening asking If I could provide a "picnic tea" for the child to have after the appointment. I think this a a bit unreasonable as If she is no longer in my care that day, why should I be feeding her. So I mailed her back with this response

"If your daughter is in my care at the usual meal time then food will be provided but I don't feel that I should be sending food out for later however, I am happy to give her a banana or cereal bar in the car on the way home to tide her over."

Also as we have to register as a food business I'm not sure of what the implications may be if there is a problem as I would no longer have responsibility of how the food was handled. As I am a childminder would it be implied that I am responsible for it until it's consumption? If it gets left in a hot car and the child gets sick I don't want to be responsible.

I feel I'm doing the right thing, especially as the arrangement is new and if I don't nip these things in the bud now, I never will, however I am usually an ameable sort of person so wonder if I should help them out. Any opinions would be greatly appriciated.

angeldelight
09-09-2009, 06:35 AM
I think maybe the parent only meant fruit or something like a quick drink anyway and would not have expected more but I could be wrong
I do not see how you could provide much more on a car journey home from school

I do understand where you are coming from and understand you want to nip things in the bud

I think your response was fair to her but maybe next time it would be better to give her a call instead - sometimes things come across wrong in emails and the parent could / might think you are being funny

I think if you were to take food out in a car it would be the same if you were taking your own picnic wouldnt it - you would put it in a bag well wrapped with ice packs ?So I can not see what the problem would be
What about if you are taking the children out for the day ? Although I do not think this parent really meant a sandwich or anything like that - or maybe she did I dont know :laughing:

Thats my view anyway

Angel xx

miffy
09-09-2009, 06:43 AM
I would have spoken to the parent too (but then I hate e-mails/texts for this sort of thing) just to make sure what it was she wanted.

I would have provided fruit or some other snack but, I agree with you, I wouldn't have sent a picnic tea for her to have after her appointment as I think that's up to the parent to sort out.

I hope this has been a simple misunderstanding between you and the parent and you can sort it out amicably.

Miffy xx

Tealady
09-09-2009, 08:43 AM
They requested a sandwich (even offered examples of fillings) and snack bits to go with it in the text and when dad picked her up yesterday he asked if his wife had asked about this but at that point she hadn't so I didn't make my feelings known then.

I agree, I don't like texting and mailing particularly but I never saw my phone until 10.30 last night and and in and out all day so not sure if I would be able to get hold of parents for a proper discussion before pick-up as I don't feel I should be ringing them at work over this sort of thing.

Oh well we will see what happens.

Daftbat
09-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I think food provision can be really complicated and thats why i have never made a charge for it. I state my hourly rate and tell the parents that i don't charge for food - they get what they need whilst they are with me and there is no argument. The only things my hourly rate doesn't include are formula milk and jarred baby food.

Alibali
09-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I agree that I think she is being a bit cheeky here, I wouldn't be providing a picnic for after her appointment, the parents are there and it is their responsibility at that time to feed her. Glad you've nipped things in the bud early. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile:)

tinkerbelle
09-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I think food provision can be really complicated and thats why i have never made a charge for it. I state my hourly rate and tell the parents that i don't charge for food - they get what they need whilst they are with me and there is no argument. The only things my hourly rate doesn't include are formula milk and jarred baby food.

same here i wont provide any form of baby food unless iv cooked it when they are on solids other than that mum provides it

TheBTeam
09-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Personally i provide snacks while the children are here, but would not dream of sending food out with them, i feel that once the parent has the child it is there job to feed them! They can provide a picnic tea of whatever they want, i may be in the minority but i think it is a cheek to ask!!! Even if they are collected when it is within contracted hours!

The Juggler
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I've done a picnic before before when children have left early (when they normally stay for tea). their mum was driving them to her parents and asked if they could eat before she came. i said no I wouldn't have time to sit them down and eat what with the school run and cooking tea, but I had time to make something for them to take with them. So, I offered to make them a "packed tea" for the car.