PDA

View Full Version : Charging when in nursery , illegal???

childmind04
04-09-2009, 04:53 PM
If i take a child to nursery and collect i charge normal fee to keep space in holidays or tt days, always stipulated this in contracts never had any probs

My friend also does and has signed a new contract with new parents starting in a few weeks whos dd will go to nursery 1pm-3.10pm, the parents agreed to this after phoning every cm around and got told no one would do it or they also charged more ph etc, as they need flexible care including 9pm finishes and weekends, the parents have since been onto our DW who has rang my friend and said she has told the parents what she is doing is illegal :eek:

Anyone have any info on this?

I am so angry for my friend as she has bent over backwards for these parents and they are still trying to get the bill down even though they say their child means everything and money is not an issue, i personnaly wish they would phone me as they would be told how good a deal they are getting, no higher charge for evenings or weekends and 30 hours over 5 days anything between 7am and 9pm weekends too :angry:

sarah707
04-09-2009, 04:58 PM
What's the Development worker saying is illegal? Charging for when the child is in nursery??

I haven't heard that one before.

We are self employed and as such we set our own pricing.

Nobody regulates us therefore nobody is in a position to say what we do is wrong.

Someone might turn round and say it is wrong to charge for not looking after a child... but that is their opinion.

No way have I ever read anything to say that it is illegal.

I think you need to contact your DW urgently and find out the facts. :panic:

Alibali
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Gosh, I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this, sounds a bit bizarre to me.

Mollymop
04-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Never heard of this before! I think the same as Sarah - it is our own business and it is no way illegal! I would be phoning the DW and asking where she got this information from as sometimes they haven't a clue!:rolleyes: :mad:

TheBTeam
04-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I too thought that this was accepted practice by childminders, we are available to work and indeed in holidays etc are expected to work, the fact that the parent sends the child to nursery during our contracted hours is up to them! How can it be illegal!

It isn't even the same scenario as charging for a bank holiday and not being available, I too would be very interested on what basis the DW has made this comment.

christine e
04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Never heard of this. I far as I am concerned I can charge what I like and I do!

Cx

Twinkles
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
What rot !

DW needs to sort out her facts before she spouts off this nonsense to anyone else.
If I were your friend I'd tell the parents to jog on , they either want her services or they don't simple as...

Chatterbox Childcare
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
If I was the childminder I would get back on to the DW and ask her to justify her comments immediately and then I would report her to her superiors and whomever funds her

What a lot of tosh - we charge what we want - how dare she say that

mummyroysof3
04-09-2009, 06:14 PM
they advised that on my icp course and isnt it in the NCMA handbook?

charlotte x

Ripeberry
04-09-2009, 06:15 PM
That DW is talking rubbish. If someone wants you to drop off a child at a nursery or pre-school and then collect then YES you do charge as you are the 'stand-in parent' and anyway they are taking up a full-time space.
And also if the child is in receipt of grants then its just the parents kicking up a fuss about having to 'pay' for their free childcare space.
They can't have it both ways.:rolleyes:

margimum
04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I think your friend should say' of course I won't charge if you come take your lo at 12.30, take her to nursery, then pick her up and bring her back to me at 3.30!!Grrrrr:angry: :angry: some parents

Hebs
04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
i know 1 way of getting around it :thumbsup:

you don't charge for the time they are at nursery but charge a drop off/collection fee at the same rate you would pay for the hours they are at nursery :laughing:

as not only are you taking them and collecting them, it impacts on the other children who you have to drag out in all weathers :panic:

Pipsqueak
04-09-2009, 06:45 PM
what a crock of poo. we are self employed and can set our own t&c's for a start and its standard practice

childmind04
04-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Thank you all for your replies, i also think its a load of rubbish but just thought i would get some more professional advice ;)

I am going to phone her on monday as i know my friend is a bit wary of her and i am going to say i hear i have been acting illigally for the last 5 years :thumbsup:

Good reminder about the handbook as i also think its in there ;)

Hebs
04-09-2009, 06:47 PM

charlotte x

you were advised NOT to charge??

The Juggler
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Are you sure the parents are not just trying it on, reading something into what the DW has said? I once had a parent tell me her Health Visitor felt I was wrong to discuss her child's behaviour with her as she was the parent and too emotionally attached!

I am sure that is not what the HV meant to say but obviously she was not the most competent at expressing herself and totally misled parent. Imagine that this DW has said something similar rather than actually saying it's illegal. In either case, she is therefore not great at her/his job!

I would phone the DW straight away and demand to know what she said.

LOL

mummyroysof3
04-09-2009, 07:13 PM
you were advised NOT to charge??

:laughing: sorry i ment we was advised to charge while at nursey, i really shouldnt type in a hurry :laughing:

charlotte x

childmind04
04-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Are you sure the parents are not just trying it on, reading something into what the DW has said? I once had a parent tell me her Health Visitor felt I was wrong to discuss her child's behaviour with her as she was the parent and too emotionally attached!

I am sure that is not what the HV meant to say but obviously she was not the most competent at expressing herself and totally misled parent. Imagine that this DW has said something similar rather than actually saying it's illegal. In either case, she is therefore not great at her/his job!

I would phone the DW straight away and demand to know what she said.

LOL

DW has been on to phone to my friend advising her that she has informed the parents she is acting illegally, cm has not yet spoke to the parents :eek:

Pipsqueak
04-09-2009, 08:21 PM
DW has been on to phone to my friend advising her that she has informed the parents she is acting illegally, cm has not yet spoke to the parents :eek:

so the DW has been in touch with the parents???? thats out of order for a start. think I would be putting in a complaint about the DW.

Chimps Childminding
04-09-2009, 09:27 PM
so the DW has been in touch with the parents???? thats out of order for a start. think I would be putting in a complaint about the DW.

I was wondering why the DW was speaking to the parents in the first place?

childmind04
05-09-2009, 07:35 AM
The parents had phoned the families information service about why they did not think they should pay for when the child is at nursery so they passed them onto DW, she then phoned my friend and gave her a hard time, but like i say my friend is very quiet and the DW is one of those in your face type :rolleyes:

What i cant understand is they signed the contracts in July to start end of Sept and they went through everything very carefully and really tried to get my friend to do an as and when, but she held her ground and said they had to pay a minimum hours as they wanted all 7 days basically :eek:

cant wait to speak to dw worker on Monday :)

angeldelight
05-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I would never discuss my fees with a dw it is none of their business how I get paid and what I charge for - its my business , my rules and its private between myself and a parent

I think shes got a cheek

Hope you get some answers on Monday maybe your friend misunderstood her?

Angel xx

FussyElmo
05-09-2009, 07:46 AM
What a cheek your DW has!!! I would be putting a complaint in if it was mine. Who is she to tell your friend what she can and cannot charge. She should have told the parents whatever the cm charges is entirely up to her but to tell them she is acting illegally:angry:

Hope you and your friend sort it out. Feel for your friend as she is now in position where the parents will be dictating terms to her.

The Juggler
05-09-2009, 09:01 AM

The DW actually said this!:eek: :panic: I would definately be reporting her to her superior. If she is anything like our DW actually this sort of thing would not surprise me. Our DW knows nothing about childminding practically or how it works and hasn't worked in a nursery for about 20 years.

I think I would also be giving notice to these parents due to the breakdown of trust in the relationships. If they are going behind her back to find out if what's she is doing is right and trying to dictate terms to her.

buildingblocks
05-09-2009, 02:06 PM
If i take a child to nursery and collect i charge normal fee to keep space in holidays or tt days, always stipulated this in contracts never had any probs sounds right to me this is what I would do

My friend also does and has signed a new contract with new parents starting in a few weeks whos dd will go to nursery 1pm-3.10pm, the parents agreed to this after phoning every cm around and got told no one would do it or they also charged more ph etc, as they need flexible care including 9pm finishes and weekends,the parents have since been onto our DW who has rang my friend and said she has told the parents what she is doing is illegal :eek: so they signed the contract agreeing to these terms so that makes it legal surely.

Anyone have any info on this?
[COLOR="Blue"]I would ask the DW what is illegal about it and what has it to do with them what she does in er business/COLOR]

I am so angry for my friend as she has bent over backwards for these parents and they are still trying to get the bill down even though they say their child means everything and money is not an issue, i personnaly wish they would phone me as they would be told how good a deal they are getting, no higher charge for evenings or weekends and 30 hours over 5 days anything between 7am and 9pm weekends too :angry:

Everything always comes down to money doesn't it

buildingblocks
05-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I would never discuss my fees with a dw it is none of their business how I get paid and what I charge for - its my business , my rules and its private between myself and a parent

I think shes got a cheek

Hope you get some answers on Monday maybe your friend misunderstood her?

Angel xx

I have this every year when we have the audit as they TELL me I have to put my fees down and I say no I don't. Have only just added them to my website as I am fed up of people ringing to ask what I charge and then not being interested so it will stop time wasters ringing me hopefully.

Recently I went on the childcare link website to find on my details my fees from 2003 and offering a sibling discount of 50% which I soon changed. Apparently i had updated my info with this info err I don't think so as haven't updated in ages.

christine e
05-09-2009, 06:41 PM

charlotte x

There is something in the NCMA handbook (pages 77 -78).

Cx

tulip0803
05-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I explain it as they are not paying for my time but are paying for a childcare space and if they choose not to use the space that is down to them but the space is available to be used and must be paid for - same as holidays/sickness etc.

What a wonderful DW. Luckily ours seems to be pretty good.

wellybelly
05-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Sounds like the DW mentioned above is a nightmare! Up untill now my DW has been very good, she was a childminder for 10 years and is very supportive. I am shocked that she has spoke like this. Does she know what sort of trouble could come from this?

candy cat
05-09-2009, 08:43 PM
sounds like parents maybe trying it on......i will be charging as taking up a space....hope your friend sorts it out cx

Kelly
05-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm not sticking up for the DW as I have always charged whilst children are at ursery, if I could not do this, I would simply give notice to all my nursery aged children! However, I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent publicity regarding not being aloud to charge for BH unless you actually wotk them. I have always charged for BH but never worked them. I know that on a BH I am not available for work and I am whilst their at nursery, so I can't see the link, I'm just wondering why a DW would give this information as it seems to be coming from more than one county.

Kelly
05-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Just had a thought, your friend should say she has to charge a retainer to keep the sapce available whilst the childs at nursery, there is deffinatly nothing illegal in that!!!

bibi571
05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
What if she also if she says that she is on call the whole time the child is in nursery?

We've had a lot of times recently where the power was off in nursery or it was flooded. When the kids got there, - it would be shut, or we'd be called back at short notice; and i'd just have to have mindees all morning at short notice! If they don't pay whilst the child is in nursery, she wouldn't be called back - they would! Same goes for if child was poorly, she would be on call all through time in nursery if they pay for space otherwise if child is poorly they will be called to come back from work to pick up - they won't be so keen then. And what about when nursery is on holiday, if only paying for the hours child is out of nursery then your friend 'in theory' could fill the space with another child. They wouldn't be happy to find out the in the holidays their child may not have childcare just ready to be called upon! I'm assuming its a term time nursery? Putting it across like this usually gets most parents to pay as during holidays they ASSSSSUMME you'll automatically just take the child. If they think you might just fill the space then who knows?

Barbara x :littleangel:

The Juggler
06-09-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm not sticking up for the DW as I have always charged whilst children are at ursery, if I could not do this, I would simply give notice to all my nursery aged children! However, I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent publicity regarding not being aloud to charge for BH unless you actually wotk them. I have always charged for BH but never worked them. I know that on a BH I am not available for work and I am whilst their at nursery, so I can't see the link, I'm just wondering why a DW would give this information as it seems to be coming from more than one county.

However, even that doesn't really make sense as legal guidance. if you can't charge for BH because you're not available then you shouldn't charge for any holidays (which NCMA do advise us to have). It's something I hope to bring up at the regional forum in 2 weeks.

LOL

christine e
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
However, even that doesn't really make sense as legal guidance. if you can't charge for BH because you're not available then you shouldn't charge for any holidays (which NCMA do advise us to have). It's something I hope to bring up at the regional forum in 2 weeks.

LOL

I'm intending to bring this up too at our forum 3rd october

Cx

TheBTeam
06-09-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm intending to bring this up too at our forum 3rd october

Cx

Me too, because i even emailed this question to ncma and they did everything but answer it!!

The Juggler
06-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Me too, because i even emailed this question to ncma and they did everything but answer it!!

maybe between us we might get a sensible answer. our forum's on 19th September so I'll let you know if any news from that.

christine e
06-09-2009, 12:21 PM
maybe between us we might get a sensible answer. our forum's on 19th September so I'll let you know if any news from that.

My latest NCMA handbook is the 2008-2009 and that still talks of being paid on bank holidays even if you are not working. I know that this has now changed but cannot remember where I read it - was it in Who Minds? If I want to take this forward I want to make sure that I have my facts right.

Cx

The Juggler
06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
It has changed in the new contracts so you have to state when you are available or not and whether you will charge or not and, yes, I think who minds discussed it.

christine e
07-09-2009, 06:58 AM
It has changed in the new contracts so you have to state when you are available or not and whether you will charge or not and, yes, I think who minds discussed it.

Just found it in Who Minds (page 50). The latest NCMA hanbbook issued to me is the 2008/2009 and on page 72 it states that you should negotiate payment for bank holidays but should not charge if it is a day that you would not normally work. It gives the example of a child who you care for contracted for Thurs & Frid only stating that a fee might be appropriate for Good Fri but not Easter Monday because you would not normally work on a Monday. So now NCMA are contradicting themselves by saying we can't charge if we are not available on Bank Hols.

I must remember to take my handbook and who minds with me to the forum!

Christine

wendywu
07-09-2009, 08:12 AM
No looking at it again i think it means that we should only get paid for Bank Holidays that are part of the contracted days. So if you do not have a child on Mondays then you cannot be paid for any BH mondays. You should have worked mondays to get a BH monday as a paid holiday.

Remember the parent who came on here to say that her CM wanted paying for a full dayfor a BH monday during school holidays, when her child did not even go to the minder on a Monday. The CM stated that it was a BH and she got paid BHs.

Gherkin
07-09-2009, 08:25 AM
No looking at it again i think it means that we should only get paid for Bank Holidays that are part of the contracted days. So if you do not have a child on Mondays then you cannot be paid for any BH mondays. You should have worked mondays to get a BH monday as a paid holiday.

I agree with the above interpretation of Bank holiday charging. If somone one is contracted to you on a Monday then you could charge them for the BH mondays but not the Good friday.w

Tired
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I think the handbook is out of date. NCMA are not issuing new ones. All information is supposed to be on the website now, so whatever 08/09 handbook says has been superceeded by the website.

christine e
07-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I think the handbook is out of date. NCMA are not issuing new ones. All information is supposed to be on the website now, so whatever 08/09 handbook says has been superceeded by the website.

Hi
http://www.*************/MainWebSite/ContentPage9df2c089.aspx?Map=D38AAC3E69BD9ECC42651 27461F3E3EF
Just been on website and had a look at this, what Juggler and I were saying is that NCMA are saying we have to be available for work on bank holidays if we charge but they are also encouraging us to negotiate paid holiday leave which we cannot understand because if we cannot charge for bank holidays when we are not available how can we charge for our annual holidays because we are not available for work when on holiday.

Christine

The Juggler
07-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi
http://www.*************/MainWebSite/ContentPage9df2c089.aspx?Map=D38AAC3E69BD9ECC42651 27461F3E3EF
Just been on website and had a look at this, what Juggler and I were saying is that NCMA are saying we have to be available for work on bank holidays if we charge but they are also encouraging us to negotiate paid holiday leave which we cannot understand because if we cannot charge for bank holidays when we are not available how can we charge for our annual holidays because we are not available for work when on holiday.

Christine

That is definately how I would interpret the wording in the new contracts. Especially if I were a parent.

LOL

Heaven Scent
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I always charge when my mindees are at preschool if I drop off and collect them as they are using up a space.

With regard to charging for Bank Holidays - I don't charge unless they are contracted for that day and I never charge if I am away when it falls only when I'm here and could be available for work - but I charge an extra £4.00 ph if I work it - I've only ever had to work it once.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Just found it in Who Minds (page 50). The latest NCMA hanbbook issued to me is the 2008/2009 and on page 72 it states that you should negotiate payment for bank holidays but should not charge if it is a day that you would not normally work. It gives the example of a child who you care for contracted for Thurs & Frid only stating that a fee might be appropriate for Good Fri but not Easter Monday because you would not normally work on a Monday. So now NCMA are contradicting themselves by saying we can't charge if we are not available on Bank Hols.

Christine

This does make sense as you wouldn't charge for a day that you are not contracted for.

manjay
07-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Shall I ask too? We have NCMA's chair attending ours:rolleyes:

childmind04
07-09-2009, 04:40 PM
The contracts i used at work for staff always stated that they could be asked to work so i have never charged as i based it on this, also i work for a lot of nhs staff so bank hols are a normal day :panic:

DW is coming to see us at the drop in to discuss the charging at nursery, we are all ready for her ;)

Playmate
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
If I was the childminder I would get back on to the DW and ask her to justify her comments immediately and then I would report her to her superiors and whomever funds her

What a lot of tosh - we charge what we want - how dare she say that

Ditto :D

I always charge whilst a child is at nursery unless I'm only dropping off or picking up and then it would have to be the same hours in the holiday too.

The Juggler
07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Shall I ask too? We have NCMA's chair attending ours:rolleyes:

oooh, yes. maybe you will get an answer from the top!

christine e
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
oooh, yes. maybe you will get an answer from the top!

She is also coming to ours so I will mention it too.

Cx

dingleydell100
08-09-2009, 01:15 PM
so, if you took a child out of nursery in the middle of their session for a couple of hours, do you think the nursery would deduct money off their bill ?? I think not !
N ♥

FizzysFriends
08-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Has anyone questioned the DO as to where she is getting her info from.

Andrea08
08-09-2009, 08:51 PM

Christine

this is how i am to believe it to be when i phoned ncma i said it was not their right to tell c/m's or parents how holiday pay is or is not to be paid as we are self employed and will charge what we want at a reasionable rate,, etc

but if we do not care for a child on a monday then we can not charge for a bank holiday monday!!! etc

and all bank holidays have to be pr-arranged because of different religions etc
xxx

Allie
11-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I tutor for the NCMA and I have been told to tell new cm's they should charge as they are keeping the space for the child, basically who could fill that time with anyone else?

Allie

TheBTeam
11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
If the parent wants the space for the holidays, then you surely must have the right to charge a 'retainer' for the space during the term time, the retainer is 100% of your normal fee.

As for bank holidays the ncma book is now out of date, the contracts have been changed in the last few months.

karenandsmile
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
right this is what i do right or wrong if they expect me to drop off and pick up they are charged normal hourly rate but this will included me running up there and collecting the child if the child is unwell i will even go to there sports days and parents visits if the parents cant do it (shame)

if the parent want to drop off and i only collect i charge from there but the child while at nursery is not my resposibility atall and the parents will have to do the running around

mrs c
18-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Just wondering if there are any updates regarding this??

Fizzbomb
26-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I've always charged when child is at pre school, unless parent takes and then I revise contract to change my hours to the time I collect. Where a child is with me from 8-6 I charge as I am taking the child and effectively 'on call' should the child fall ill/ have an accident.
I charge for BH's when its a contracted day. And I take 4 weeks hol a year at full pay- parents almost always book their hols for the same weeks.

mississmoomoo
28-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I have only been minding a few weeks and dont have any children coming that attend nursery so never realised that most cm's charge for time while at nursery, I was going to just charge a retainment fee of 50% of the normal hourly rate.

I will be charging full fee for bank holidays even if they dont decide to use me ( but only if that day of the week is normally contracted) as I am available if necessary and if they decide to use me on bank holidays it will be double the fee as we all know most people get paid double for working bank holidays anyway so why shouldnt we!

heidi p
29-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I think your friends parents are trying to pull a fast one it sound like they want everything for nothing. And trying to cause trouble maybe you should tell them your full or see if they can find anyone else who does such long hours and weekend.I am sure they will have trouble to find someone with such flexible hours :angry: :angry: Some parents they dont know a good deal when they find one Good luck

LadyC
20-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I suspect this claim may have something to do with a recent news story which highlighted that the 'free' 15 hours that 3-4 year olds are entitled to are turning out not to be free because of the way that childcare providers (usually nurseries) are allowing parents to use them. I can't really cite any examples per se, but I guess this could be to do with them charging excessively for snacks/drinks/activities that happen while the children are in their care. So my DS's nursery, they would let us use 5 hours per day 8-1 but because he was there for mid morning snack and lunch and would use their resouces, they charged £5 per session. Not for care, but for 'sundries'> (I didn't have a problem with this by the way, as other nurseries wouldn't let you use any more that 3 hours a day from the grant so it worked out well for us). So I think the parents in this case have just got a bit confused with the legal side of things. Perhaps the provider of the nursery grant couldn't charge, but an unrelated childminder can set their fees however they want.

sarah707
20-07-2012, 08:44 PM
I suspect this claim may have something to do with a recent news story which highlighted that the 'free' 15 hours that 3-4 year olds are entitled to are turning out not to be free because of the way that childcare providers (usually nurseries) are allowing parents to use them. I can't really cite any examples per se, but I guess this could be to do with them charging excessively for snacks/drinks/activities that happen while the children are in their care. So my DS's nursery, they would let us use 5 hours per day 8-1 but because he was there for mid morning snack and lunch and would use their resouces, they charged £5 per session. Not for care, but for 'sundries'> (I didn't have a problem with this by the way, as other nurseries wouldn't let you use any more that 3 hours a day from the grant so it worked out well for us). So I think the parents in this case have just got a bit confused with the legal side of things. Perhaps the provider of the nursery grant couldn't charge, but an unrelated childminder can set their fees however they want.

This is a very old thread from 2009 - I think it's probably been resolved now! :D:laughing:

jaswinder bedi
21-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Parents like to see how they Like to cut the corner, dont let you down ou are incharge. Warn parents before hand And be firm.... Take it or leave it. I know how you are feeling i have been in that stage:panic: not very nice feeling!!!!!:mad:X

Bridey
21-07-2012, 05:47 PM
This is a very old thread from 2009 - I think it's probably been resolved now! :D:laughing:

How on earth did someone manage to drag this up and comment on it :laughing:

However, its an interesting thread - just gutted after reading through it that the OP never got back with what happened next ... I feel like the last page is missing in a murder mystery book! Booooo!

Bluebell
21-07-2012, 07:47 PM
yes I thought the same Bridey - I guess we won't get an answer now 3 years on!!

stardust
22-07-2012, 10:55 PM
yes I thought the same Bridey - I guess we won't get an answer now 3 years on!!

Here's your answer- I spoke to my solicitor parent and this is her email word for word.

Hi Tara,
I read your e-mail and laughed! Thank you.
It amazes me the rubbish some people spout. I suppose some people love pretending to know everything must make them feel intelligent.
In answer to your question - No, it's not Illegal to charge whilst a child is at nursery as they are using a place. That space is there for them to use when they need it. Another way of doing this would be to charge a retainer although personally if someone was really hung up on not paying for the space i'd politely tell them to move along.
Remember you are 'self employed' this means you set the fee's and terms and conditions of using your service so to speak. For example you are well within your rights to charge for bank holidays.
It does shock me that people are willing to pay £30 call out fee and £15 per hour for a plumber which would be £45 for a total of an hour just to take a u bend off and yet they argue about the cost of childcare.
I do sympathize, however most parents can get help either through tax credits, university or college funding or vouchers through work in which a set amount is deducted from their wages before tax.
Hope that answers your question.

Oh and the little monster has 'borrowed' toys from your house again, I have placed them in the pocket on his bag.
We may have to start frisking him before leaving yours.
Kindest Regards
******* *********'

So there you go from someone who knows her legalities - NO its not illegal.
Wish we knew the outcome though.
May pm the poster for an update x

sarahstanbridge
23-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Just had a thought, your friend should say she has to charge a retainer to keep the sapce available whilst the childs at nursery, there is deffinatly nothing illegal in that!!!

this is what i do xxx

LadyC
23-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Sorry folks - that would be my fault for dragging it up. I had used the search function to find something else and this thread must have been one of the seach results. Wasn't wanting to drag up upsetting memories, honest!!:o

Bridey
23-07-2012, 09:54 PM
I knew it was a load of rubbish, I was just wondering a) how the conversation with the stoooopid DO went and b) did the parent accept the minder's fees or did she start kicking up a fuss once the DO told her it was "illegal" :)

rickysmiths
24-07-2012, 06:54 AM
I loved the parting shot Stardust:laughing:

This was my son when he started at Playgroup!

Oh and the little monster has 'borrowed' toys from your house again, I have placed them in the pocket on his bag.

It is good to have our good practice confirmed.

stardust
24-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I loved the parting shot Stardust:laughing:

This was my son when he started at Playgroup!

It is good to have our good practice confirmed.

I know it made me laugh so I left it in when I copy and pasted it. The parent who wrote the email is amazing. She is always bring me things that I may find helpful like pots to put paint in.
I always get the toys back so I don't mind x

mum24
28-07-2012, 08:58 AM
I have heard this before, about 2 years ago, not bluntly that it was illegal, but told by one of the top managers in Early Years that childminders should not charge to keep a place if a child is accessing a free place in a nursery or play school, as the point is that it is free. And I think the implication was that Early Years would take a very dim view if parents were charged by childminders.

She was not talking about not charging for a child the parents were paying to go elsewhere, but only if they are accessing FFE government funding.

Please bear with me, I am new to this, and this is my second post on the internet ever....

dusky777
20-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I had a child last year whom was taken to pre school by mum in the morning but i picked up at 11.40. She needed me in the school holidays and i charged full fees as i am unable to fill that space am. She didnt have a problem with this. i hope its not illegal?!!