PDA

View Full Version : E100 - have I done the right thing?

FussyElmo
04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Just got off the phone with the Ou they are sending me the forms to start in Oct nothing like leaving it to the last minute. I am more than likely getting it funded from the early years which is excellent.

However now Im thinking oh my goodness can I really do this? Am i about to make a big mistake -ideas above my station and all that? Can I cope with my four children two are babies 2 and 1, the mindees and the house, the dh and do this. But on the flip side will I regret it if I dont. I believe very much that I can do the work.

Ohhhh so many pros and cons.

Ok think I have rambled need to get things right in my head and dh has said he will support me in everyway and I would be stupid not to do it with me getting it funded.

Ohhh what to do!!!!

singlewiththree
04-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm doing E100 in October too --- :clapping: someone to share ideas with :)

Honestly I'm no brain box and have been OU since last Oct. I have done two units so far DD100 and ED209 (just finishing). I'm not finding it too hard but I'm only averaging about 65% my aim is to pass (40%) and not to worry about the grade I get.

nicaukids
04-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Elmo

KWYM - I've spent the whole summer trying to "get ahead"... What am I thinking?

Still trying to work out how to access the OU discussion... I'm starting Oct 3rd too.
Just hear some stirrings from sleep room.

Catch up later.
You go for it - I'm with on the "now or never".
Nickyx

madasahatter
04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I did the fore-runners E123 and E124 last year and enjoyed them.
My advice -
1. keep to the timetable or slightly ahead of it if you can.
2. If when you are doing an assignment you have a mental block, instead of sitting looking at your computer screen not knowing what to write, do the next few activities instead. That way if you do need to ask for an extension you don't actually fall behind on the next part of the coursework.
3. If, as you work through the activities you find one that isn't practical for your setting, don't worry about it.....they'll never know!
4. When doing your assignments you must must must must refer to the course material. Have at least one reference to each study topic, each chapter of the reader that the assignment covers and EYFS etc.
5. Try to avoid the online forum if you can ......lots of messages from people who are so far ahead that they make you feel worse if you're struggling, or people asking the same questions over and over again (usually to do with referencing)

If you need any advice then feel free to pm me

sarah707
04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I dedicated one study session every Sunday plus one evening for reading every week of the course.

That way I stayed ahead.

You'll be fine just take it step by step and keep reading the question! :D

christinajanep
04-09-2009, 04:10 PM
i'm doing e100 as well as are lots of others on here so your not alone and will have loads of support x :clapping: :laughing:

Shivvie
04-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm doing it too! I'm really looking forward to it. Thank you for all the tips :)

nicaukids
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Great advice - thanks madasahatter :)

I've done one 10 point course with OU about 3 years ago - The title was something like: What AM I going to do for the rest of my life...? ;)

But since school (cough 23 years ago) I haven't done much at all - oh yeah - except bring up some brilliant kids !

Been worrying about whether I can actually cut it, fit it in, cope with it, kids, clubs & sport, mindees and DH... then paperwork, accounts, extra courses (first aid will be next year) etc. etc.

Also, desperately need to decorate a couple of rooms, sort out/get rid of "stuff" - catch up on existing paperwork... crikey - guess what I'm doing this weekend :eek:

I'm sure you / we'll be fine.
Nx

Tired
05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Fussy Elmo, Singlewiththree and everyone else.

Come and introduce yourself to us on the OU board, I've started a thread for all of us starting E100 in October.

I've got no idea how to link it here, but I'm sure you will find it.

Shivvie
05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi. Do you mean the OU coursework discussion on this forum, the one where you need a password? I've emailed to ask if I can join but I've not heard anything yet. :( As soon as I'm allowed on, I'll officially introduce myself on there :)

Tired
05-09-2009, 08:21 PM
yes, Shivvie, thats the one. I heard pretty quickly when I asked for the password, so I'm sure it wont be too long.
Look forward to "meeting" you there and helping each other as the course goes on.

Shivvie
07-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Did you email or PM Tatia? I emailed her but I haven't heard anything. I'll PM her today. :)

Tired
07-09-2009, 08:26 AM
i pmd her and she got back to me the same afternoon. I suppose it just depends on how busy she is.

nell57
07-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Just got off the phone with the Ou they are sending me the forms to start in Oct nothing like leaving it to the last minute. I am more than likely getting it funded from the early years which is excellent.

However now Im thinking oh my goodness can I really do this? Am i about to make a big mistake -ideas above my station and all that? Can I cope with my four children two are babies 2 and 1, the mindees and the house, the dh and do this. But on the flip side will I regret it if I dont. I believe very much that I can do the work.

Ohhhh so many pros and cons.

Ok think I have rambled need to get things right in my head and dh has said he will support me in everyway and I would be stupid not to do it with me getting it funded.

Ohhh what to do!!!!

Good for you:clapping: Yes you're are absolutly doin the right thing. You will be so pleased and proud of your selve, I've every faith in you. Go for it:thumbsup:

Is Son doing it as well with you?

Eileen322
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone

I'm doing the E100 too!

Eileen x

sdean
07-09-2009, 03:40 PM
has anyone received their coursework yet???

nicaukids
07-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Not yet - know it was dispatched Friday - but can take upto 10 days

Not sure if I feel :jump for joy: or sheer :panic:

madasahatter
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi. Do you mean the OU coursework discussion on this forum, the one where you need a password? I've emailed to ask if I can join but I've not heard anything yet. As soon as I'm allowed on, I'll officially introduce myself on there

Shivvie - If you were refering to what I put about avoiding the forum I meant the OU course forum. The forum on here is brill as always!

Shivvie
07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
No, I knew which one you meant, don't worry :)

cal
11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi, I am doing E100 as well
Just received coarse work today, off to have a look

rainbowmummy
11-09-2009, 01:04 PM
a man in a van dropped off my 3x books, DVD and some other bits today - OMG:eek:
Its a bit real now :D

Now off to read through myself, my setting and my learning
x

FussyElmo
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Well it wont be me this time as due to the fact our admin department is on holiday they cant get my funding over to OU in time for this year:ohdear:

Im a little disappointed but the training advisor is goin to go through my options with me tuesday to see what I can do till next year.

Good luck to everyone who is starting this year - it will be me next most definately!!!

madasahatter
11-09-2009, 05:18 PM
DON'T GIVE UP YET!!

Is there any way you can pay for it? Put it on a credit card possibly and your admin dept pay you back when they reopen.
Thinking about it when I did E123 & E124 my local early years completed a form to say that they would be paying the course fees. The OU then invoiced them directly sometime around the start of the course.
Like I said, don't give up yet as there are still a few weeks to go (I know there is a deadline for registering but keep talking to the OU and they may be flexible).

FussyElmo
11-09-2009, 06:44 PM
DON'T GIVE UP YET!!

Is there any way you can pay for it? Put it on a credit card possibly and your admin dept pay you back when they reopen.
Thinking about it when I did E123 & E124 my local early years completed a form to say that they would be paying the course fees. The OU then invoiced them directly sometime around the start of the course.
Like I said, don't give up yet as there are still a few weeks to go (I know there is a deadline for registering but keep talking to the OU and they may be flexible).

The admin dept wont reimburse me they will only pay the Ou. To be fair to the training organiser she rang the ou and guaranteed that the course would be funded but they wont do it for one person - I can see that reasoning why. I am disappointed because when I spoke the the OU in the first place I explained that the early years would fund it but I would have to get them to fill out the paperwork and she seemed to think it wouldnt be a prob as long
as I got my registeration through in time. If I had known I would have applied help with costs which I am entitled to but have missed the deadline for that too. But know I know I am entitled to help with costs Im going to look at doing a different degree and who knows maybe it is one door closes another opens for a reason.

Thank you for your support!!!!

rainbowmummy
15-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I've paid for mine!

My local autority wouldn't pay as I am doing the DHC (2nd yr) at the same time and they didn't want to fund two courses for one person, which is fair enough... I just didn't want to waste another year!

specks4
17-09-2009, 08:06 PM
sounds like alot of us are starting in october, good luck to everyone doing it and im sure we will all help support each other.