PDA

View Full Version : After school children

Jen 10
03-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi

I am unsure what to do for my child profiles for children who are 4 years old and in Reception.

Am I expected to fill out a full learning journal even though they will only have it for a year? Do you think I could just print out the 50+ months including ELGs pages for each area of learning?

It seems like a waste of paper for a child I am only going to see for an hour or 2 a week. That would be about 30 - 60 hours for the whole year!

I hope someone can help me.

sarah707
03-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

For my after schoolers in Reception I keep an eye on the learning and development grids but only vaguely, school are responsible for doing those.

I do a learning journey for them, including photos, notes and comments from the children, brief observations, notes from parents and next steps.

I also do a combination of individual planning - x enjoys cooking and made a cake ... involve her in the cooking rota...

AND group planning - we are doing about minibeasts and I know x likes playdough so she can make some (links with her individual planning) and use it to make ladybird shapes.

Does that help? :D

Jen 10
04-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes this is very helpful. I will do the learning journey for the school children in Reception as I would for my nursery aged children then.

Do I need to fill in a continuous provision/ long-term plan sheet like they have for nurseries?

Sorry for all the questions!

Jenny

sarah707
08-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Your long term planning should be for the group... things like birthdays, celebrations, festivals, local events, national special 'days'...

Short term will be individual to the hcild and their interests, learning styles etc at the time.

Is that what you mean? :D

Jen 10
11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi Sarah,

I have only just seen this reply. I think I am doing my planning and profiles wrong or am confused.

I have done a long term plan of continuous provision which is a permenant grid under the 4 themes. I wrote on that things like providing healthy meals under 1.4 health and wellbeing, communication through the 'going home book' under 2.2 paerents as partners...

Then I have done a medium term plan with i will change every 1/2 term. I based it on a theme and plan to carry out a different activity every day.

Then (hope you've not fallen asleep!) I will do short term plans weekly do plan for each child's individual needs and interests, such as a child who enjoys sand but doesn't like mark making I will put sticks in shallow sand and show them how to make patterns.

am I doing it wrong? am I doing too much?

also why is it that reception children are counted in over 5 year old numbers but one still has to do them a child profile?

p.s. I love your website and will be buying some of your e-books. you must be very busy!

Jenny