PDA

View Full Version : CHRISTMAS SHOPPING - YOUR VIEWS

angeldelight
03-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Sigh !!! :panic: :panic:

Just when do you start your christmas shopping ? Do you stagger it over the year and if you see a bargain grab it?

Do you start once the kids are back at school?

Do you leave it till the end of Nov and the start of December?

Do you leave it till the last week before christmas ?

Our shops have all the christmas cards out already I could not believe it :eek:

What do you all think do you think it is to early?

Angel xxx

emler
03-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I have already started mine :D I buy throughout the year. I've bought lots of bargains already. I have lots of family to buy for so I like to be organised and not leave it until December! Plus it helps to spread the cost

avril
03-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I'll be starting very soon, always leave it until children are back at school after the summer. I'll start quizzing people very soon what they are collecting or need etc... in a very subtle way of course!!!! :laughing:

mummyroysof3
03-09-2009, 07:53 AM
ive already started, as my maternity pay ends in november and im not going back to work and not sure when ill start minding as its quiet here we are just buying for kids this year(our 3 and 3 nephews and neices) and parents/grandparents but not spending much.

Our kids arent having anything big from us this year as they get so much from everyone else so im getting them a plastic toybox each and filling it with little things and can sujest anything big/expensive to family members who ask for ideas.

Up until last year though i left it till at least november :laughing:

charlotte x

LOOPYLISA
03-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I will start soon, when dd is back to school

We usually go abroad xmas so i have to get it done early-ish iykwim

Couldn't think about doing any that early, to me there is no fun, i like late night shopping you know when things look christmassy, lights, etc :thumbsup: not in the middle of summer :panic:

katickles
03-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I have also started mine. For me Angel is just a great excuse to go shopping!!!:laughing:

Most of eldest dd is done but thats about it really. Got a few bits for nieces, but got a fair bit to go yet & of course its Imogens 1st christmas so got to get hers & I have no idea where to even start with her, but hay, lots more shopping for me so I'm not complianing:D

Twinkles
03-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I do pick up a few bits and pieces if I see them. I have lots to but for :panic: But mostly start nowish.

Blackhorse
03-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I dont start till end of november....I love christmas but I dont like it when all shops turn christmasy at the end of august,....way to early

a lot of times I will make stuff myself for presents..like a knitted scarf or something like that..with things like that I might start a bit earlier to get it finished....

FussyElmo
03-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I start buying things after the school starts. Think the shops put the decorations etc way too early I get fed up of seeing it.

sweets
03-09-2009, 08:23 AM
i always have the intention of starting shopping early! but it never really happens, and i usually end up having a shopping day in december and don't come home till i have got everything.i don't like doing that tho as i end up just buying things thinking oh that will do!

i don't feel christmasy till december and hate it when shops play christmas music in october!

All in all i am not a big christmas fan and am usually relieved when its all over.:blush:

estrelas
03-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Not even thinking about it till at least end of October!!
I think it spoils it when it gets going so early

Chatterbox Childcare
03-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Did a lot yesterday as need to get all overseas ones done but couldn't find any wrapping paper - any ideas?

Will be on the lookout for family in uk now and my cupboard will start expanding now that I have emptied it.

Pipsqueak
03-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I normally start mine in november (end of).

Debbie I have TONS of wrapping paper here:laughing: How about using wallpaper?

charleyfarley
03-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I started my xmas shopping for this before last xmas :laughing: :laughing:

Got Mitchell some great bargains when Woolies closed down last xmas Eve :clapping:

I do mine throughout the year as it's my 3 childrens birthdays October and November so daren't leave it too late.

My problem is trying to find somewhere to put it all once I've bought it without forgetting where I've put it :panic: :laughing:

Carol xx

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
03-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi

I do my through out the year, starting with the January sales! :blush:
Then in November i take it all out and see what ive got and then anything else that is needed (which isnt much) i buy in Nov/Dec.

I have to do it this way as My father in laws birthday is in December and xmas eve is mother in laws birthday and boxing day is my mums birthday :panic: ! So if i left all the xmas shopping till December i would never afford it!

Spangles
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
We bought some gifts during the January sales! Ha ha! I've been buying them for a couple of months.

Darren and I aren't buying for each other as we're paying out to go home for a week over Christmas instead. I've got to get Benjamin's and Chloe's (we won't get her much as she'll be only 3 months) and some more bits for the hampers for our parents.

I don't mind the Christmas things in the shop early as I love Christmas and it enables you to spread the cost. There's no way we could afford to buy everything in the last month or two alone.

Hebs
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
i'm finished :clapping: :clapping:

i hate the rushing around during the horrid weather

it also free's up my time to spend quality time with my kids in the run up to christmas instead of being stressed :thumbsup:

Mollymop
03-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I usually start xmas shoping in October/November. I don't like to do it too early because my dd will see something on tv she likes and ask father xmas for it (when they send letters to him) and it will be too late as I had already gotten her something else!
DS is easier as he is 10 and pretty much everything he wants is some kind of gadget that you can get anytime.

I think it is too ealry for shops to be shelving xmas decs and cards - it spoils xmas. They should be shelved the end of Octber beginning of November.

patevans
03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Sigh !!! :panic: :panic:

Just when do you start your christmas shopping ? Do you stagger it over the year and if you see a bargain grab it?

Do you start once the kids are back at school?

Do you leave it till the end of Nov and the start of December?

Do you leave it till the last week before christmas ?

Our shops have all the christmas cards out already I could not believe it :eek:

What do you all think do you think it is to early?

Angel xxx

I have started mine already simply because you never know whats going to happen in this job, especially as I am on my own!

fionamal
03-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Ive started aswell, tend to buy things as I seee them. Got all the mindees in and my kids stocking fillers. Just got their big things to get now and then concentrate on the rest of the family.

I like to be finished by end November as December is such a busy month with parties etc

Hebs
03-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I usually start xmas shoping in October/November. I don't like to do it too early because my dd will see something on tv she likes and ask father xmas for it (when they send letters to him) and it will be too late as I had already gotten her something else!

i get round this by telling my kids that they can ask for something but Santa has the final say on what they get, depending on how good they've been :thumbsup:

i have never had a year where the kids have been disapointed with their gifts, and they usually forget what they've asked for anyway :laughing:

wendywu
03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I have started already. I picked a few bits for my DD stockings at the Jane Norman sale.

Last night i was on play.com as they have a sale and have a few Ben 10 bits for £5.00 p&p included and my mindees are Ben 10 mad. I also have a few bits and pieces coming from Avon.

Going to Las Vegas in Oct so DD have put in orders for Ugg boots and Levis, DH wants Oakley sunglasses and yet more Hard Rock T shirts, so i had better take an extra case.

It is much better now they are older and know what they want. Even if it does cost more.

Trouble is i start early but still keep spending.:panic:

LeeAnn
03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I have started too, just found a bike for DD that is half price so am going to for it. I am also hand making a lot of gists this year and aim to get one a week done between now and then so I am not stressed. Although I am the worlds biggest procratinator and will end up sewing up a storm a week before Christmas :rolleyes:

Had a panic on xmas eve last year when DD decided that she wanted a yo yo from Santa like what peppa pig got. She even asked Santa out loud as DS told her Santa is always watching and listening :) . Oh well got it in the end LOL

Daddy Day Care
03-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Ill start mine in the "Janruary sales" which generally start around december.

Daughters birtyhgday december 13th and have got her a couple of bits already, but wudnt usualy do it this early.

Gareth
xx

tinkerbelle
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
i'm finished :clapping: :clapping:

i hate the rushing around during the horrid weather

it also free's up my time to spend quality time with my kids in the run up to christmas instead of being stressed :thumbsup:

me too well apart from buying 3 laptops iv finished
iv cheated this year all the nieces n nephews are having money so have put that away already

littlesprogs
03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
\;I have started, i found some old clubcard vouchers that i had forgot about and then i got my new ones through so i doubled those up and got my nieces and nephews from there (i also get good bargains because my mum works on that department so she puts things away for me or she rings to ask if i want it lol).

I havent started Jaydens because hes got so much already i dont know what to get but i've had a look round toys r us and got some ideas but he'll be getting mainly clothes this year that i'll just get when i see something i like.

I like to start early (around september) to spread the cost so i like to have pressies done by november so i can then get to food in december. I do think its silly for the shops to have out cards already i think it just makes it drag on especially for kids! I dont see the point you dont send cards until december anyway so why do they need to be out now? Also wrapping paper i dont wrap until the last minute anyway lol

wendywu
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I like buying but the wrapping takes so much time.

My youngest DD does a lot for me. Also my older mindees wrapped stocking presents for me last year, they thought it was great fun. :)

Daddy Day Care
03-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I like buying but the wrapping takes so much time.

My youngest DD does a lot for me. Also my older mindees wrapped stocking presents for me last year, they thought it was great fun. :)

You can buy for me wendy I dont mind if it comes unwrapped :)

nannymcflea
03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I start after E's birthday in August. If i see something suitable in a sale beforehand I will get it.

No ideas this year though...hopefully a sledge!:clapping: Though this year will be tighter if I don't get any work.:(

Spangles
03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Benjamin has been going through a phase where he keeps asking for things so now I've told him that rather than tell me he wants me to buy something for him (which was beginning to make me a bit mad!) he should just say, 'I really like this mummy' and then Father Christmas' elves would hear him and let Father Christmas know.

It's really worked! Ha ha! Plus, I get lots of ideas of what I can buy him as well! He fell inlove with this Spiderman outfit in Mothercare so he 'let the elves know' and I've bought it to give him from Chloe so I know he'll be chuffed to bits and hopefully it will make Chloe a very popular little baby!

It was driving me potty him keeping asking for things all the time and having to keep saying 'no'!

Mouse
03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Blimey, I can't believe people have already finished their christmas shopping :eek:
How do you know what people are going to want by then?

I do mine in December. People are forever moaning that christmas is in the shops too early, but are happy to buy presents in the summer! I like Christmas to be in December :D

Trouble
03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
i have a 40th, 16th, and 13th birthday the weeks before christmas, im dreading it:angry:

angeldelight
03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
i have a 40th, 16th, and 13th birthday the weeks before christmas, im dreading it:angry:

I am not surprised :laughing: :laughing:

xxx

Amaranth
03-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I buy bits and pieces for the mindees when I see them but my main christmas shopping is done later. We have an agreement in our family (with our brothers & sisters) that once we have kids, they get the presents and we do not buy each other. It makes it a lot easier :clapping:
We still buy for parents/ grandparents etc...
Me and my best friend always have a shopping weekend in November sometime when we get everything. Last year we went to London. Not sure where we're going this year yet!

I have to admit though, I always get most of my chrismas cards and wrapping paper in the Jan sales :blush:

Hebs
04-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Blimey, I can't believe people have already finished their christmas shopping :eek:
How do you know what people are going to want by then?

Its not really about getting them what they want, its appreciating what you get. X

angeldelight
04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Its not really about getting them what they want, its appreciating what you get. X

All the same its still nice to get something that you want rather than get something that you do not want and never use

:laughing:

Angel xx

Hebs
04-09-2009, 10:57 AM
All the same its still nice to get something that you want rather than get something that you do not want and never use

:laughing:

Angel xx

yeah but kids are happy whatever they get :thumbsup:

i dont buy for my siblings, just the kids in the family plus my mum and dad :thumbsup:

LeeAnn
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
My sister and I have decided this year that we are only giving to kids as she is preg with her first baby (yay!) but SIL and I have a £5 limit. makes it fun to find something we would like at a super bargainous price! And it is always nice to have something to open!

flora
04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I have to admit to buying my first one today :blush:

Morrisons had toys for half price so I bought my nephew his pressie.

Hannah's I will prob start picking up over the next few months and Harry I will leave.

He will change his mind 40.000 times by december and I am not getting caught. I appreciate what Hebs is saying , about appreciating what you get, but I can remember being disappointed at not getting exactly what I wanted so I try not to do it to my kids, ifyswim???

Hebs
04-09-2009, 01:07 PM
wow really??

i can never remember being disapointed on christmas day :) i was one of 4 kids so we never really got to ask what we wanted

melissa "knows" and i think mark does too but doesn't want to admit it yet :laughing: gets easier then anyway :laughing:

LeeAnn
04-09-2009, 01:24 PM
ugh I am dreading that Hebs! I think my DS knows but he is keeping shtum!

Hebs
04-09-2009, 01:28 PM
its horrible :(

daisyboo1980
04-09-2009, 10:08 PM
im startin next month getting the nieces birthday out of the way first but i have picked up a few things in the next sale.
i love christmas shopping last year i started way to early and bought so much,this year though im cutting back i did say that last year to lol so we will see :)

bibi571
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
DD (9) wants an LG computer phone, a DSI and chip with lots of games on it and 'real' brown UGG boots. That all and I'll be happy - says she!

DS (13) just wants money - but how much do you give a 13 year old, and don't tell me on Christmas day he wont be gutted to have nothing to open, as last year he still had big blue eyes that was looking for a present under the tree, even though the just wanted money.

Hubby will take anything he gets with whatever is left over! For mindees, i've got new ones and 3 afterschools who are very crafty, so will get something crafty and a book again, or maybee jammies? For the little ones they are all about a year so will have to start looking into what they playwith a toddlers and then decide on what to go for. Still stumped at the minute - anyone got any good ideas for 12-15 month old mindees £20 xmas pressies?

Barbara x :littleangel:

kindredspirits
06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
i only buy 1 present for ds - one for dh's kids and a charity gift for dh. christmas is a waste of money and totally against the season of 'goodwill'.

BAH HUMBUG!!!!

childmind04
06-09-2009, 04:18 PM
I save with park hampers so will have £900 end of October time, i usually start picking up stocking fillers from now on :)

venus89
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Both my kids have their birthdays atthe beginning of October so Christmas shopping comes after that. I like to think I'll pick up bargains as the year goes by but never that organised, although one of DSs birthday presents was bought about 3 months ago.....