PDA

View Full Version : Planning using EYFS Development Stages

Bitsy Beans
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else find there is too much to look at :o
I am trying to look at the areas in which my mindee currently covers and the areas to support her development in. But there's so much.......I am finding it a minefield to look through. And as such feeling more and more out of my depth (again - doesn't take much LOL!).
How do you use this information? Give it a cursory glance or use it in more indepth??? I have no idea where to start........:eek:

sarah707
01-09-2009, 08:27 PM
It's sort of easier when you get used to it all I think.

I use the ages and stages every time I do an observation and I do find now I can work it out in my head.

If you are struggling try breaking it down into bite sized bits... just think about the 6 areas and what the child does to meet those.

Then when you've got an overview, look in more detail at the notes according to the child's age and stage of development.

Hth :D

Bitsy Beans
01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
It's sort of easier when you get used to it all I think.

I use the ages and stages every time I do an observation and I do find now I can work it out in my head.

If you are struggling try breaking it down into bite sized bits... just think about the 6 areas and what the child does to meet those.

Then when you've got an overview, look in more detail at the notes according to the child's age and stage of development.

Hth :D

Sorry being REALLY dense but when you say the bit in bold - are you referring to the development matters bit which seems to be a bit of a brief overview??

sarah707
01-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I am thinking it might help you to break it right down.

First of all think about the observation...

Jane shares out snack to her friends. She counts 1, 2, 3 with the pieces of apple.

So, Jane is sharing... that links to Psed;

Jane is counting ... that links to Psr&n;

Jane is learning about healthy eating... that links to Pd;

There might be others as well but you'd drive yourself demented trying to find them all so I'd be happy with 1 or 2 usually!

How do they link? What's your assessment of Jane's learning and development?

That's the second step - when you go to the Eyfs ages and stages information and spot a comment that relates to what Jane is doing.

Not all children's obs link to comments in the Eyfs - the Eyfs isn't a bible of child development, there are things missing. Sometimes you can just slot it into an overall area (psed, cll, psr&n etc) and not narrow it down at all... that's fine.

Other times you can find it links to eg. Psed - self care (Jane washes her hands independently for the first time today)... but there aren't any comments for her age and stage to link that to so you leave it there.

Does that make sense? :D

Bitsy Beans
01-09-2009, 09:35 PM
OK this is the ob I am trying to write up:

Whilst playing in the garden X discovers that by patting the water with a stick she can make a bubble.

Links to: PD, KUW, PSRN?

KUW - describes and talks about what she sees

PSRN - this feels like a stretch to link it but she recognised the shape as a bubble - notices simple shapes?????

Next steps:

explore other ways of making bubbles in water play by providing other tools for water play eg bottles, cups, turkey baster (not used I might add!!!!)
See what happens when fairy liquid is added

supply other materials to be used in water play eg stones, shells, sticks, food colouring

Writing that down it sounds not very good :o

miss mopple
02-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Looks fab to me :thumbsup:

sarah707
02-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Looks great to me too!

What more are you wanting to write?

:D

hello kitty
02-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Looks good to me too. :D

Bitsy Beans
02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Aw thanks guys. You should see the smile you've put on my face with your comments. It's nice to hear my first observation has turned out the way I wanted it to!

:clapping: