PDA

View Full Version : help... what do i charge

Teresa
25-02-2008, 08:31 AM
i have a mum who is coming to see me wednesday afternoon, she is a teacher at a council run school and her children (6 and 7) go to a private school. sometimes the childrens holidays run longer then the mothers and she wants me to have them on these dates. do i charge a retainer and /or deposit. if i charge a deposit how much? the first lot of sessions is for 7 days starting 1st april.

berkschick
25-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Gosh, thats a tricky one!

They will be taking up 2 of your school places.

Have you considered doing it ad-hoc? As in she would have to take her chances if you could have them or not. Otherwise yes, I would charge her half fee retainer as she is taking up 2 after school places.

Tatia
25-02-2008, 09:12 AM
When is the 7 year old gonna be 8? Cos then it oly be 1 place to worry about. I'm confused as to when you would charge a retainer if you are just having them during hols? Do you mean charge retainer for term time?

My daughter goes to a private school and the extra hols can be a pain because I then have 4 under 5s at the same time. Husband has to work from home to cover it.

Teresa
25-02-2008, 11:00 AM
not sure yet till meet mum on wednesday when the 7 year old turns 8. could i charge a retainer for pre arranged dates only ?? so i can take children on the days she does not require my services?

for example she gives me a list of dates she knows the children are off school and she isn't and i charge a one off fee to keep those dates open for her? or do i ask her to book at least 4 weeks in advance and pay a deposit??? if i still have the place for them.:confused:

Banana
25-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I would charge her for the dates she knows she will need you to have them and then make it clear that without paying a retainer you cant garauntee having a space for them as you need notice of days required 4 weeks in advance. If you dont have any other over 5's then it doesnt matter I suppose but it will stop you taking another on if she expects you to be free all the time without paying..... you are the one that ends up out of pocket

x

Teresa
25-02-2008, 01:14 PM
thanks for advice, i am going to do like you suggest i am going to give the parent two choices
1,charge her for days i care for the child asking for a deposit on booking 4 weeks in advance and she take the chance i have spaces
2 offer to keep spaces free all time for a retainer.
i hope i am doing the right thing here