PDA

View Full Version : HI I'M NEW AND IN NEED OF HELP

tara milne
25-08-2009, 07:07 PM
HEY EVERYONE, LOVELY TO MEET U ALL :)

I have been wanting to become a childminder for some time now but have always ut it off as i really just dont know where to start.

my name is tara and i am 29. I have 2 children aged 5 1/2 and 15 months.

I live in surrey in south east and was really hoping someone could help me with just where to start really...who is the best for me to contact.....how long does it all take to become registered and if it costs alot to become registered with all the course's i have heard u have to do.

Any help really will be gratefully recieved.
Hope u r all having a good evening

Tara

Goatgirl
25-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Tara,
The cost I think varies from area to area, as well as courses etc. To see what's involved, I'd ring your local Childrens Information Service (or Family Information Service). Otherwise, I would think your council would at least know who you need to speak to.
The most expensive part of actual registration for me was the doctors certificate; they have to check your recods etc and make a statement as to whether they think there's any medical reason why you shouldn't be a childminder. It varies from practise to practise but mine was one of the most expensive at just under £80 :eek:
Then there's anything you need to do to our home to make it safe and child friendly, as well as toys and equiptment...
hope this helps .... I registred just before all the rules changed so may not know something vital: hopefully someone else wilbe along to advise :)
Hope you get on well - good luck :jump for joy:
best wishes,
Wendy :)

Daftbat
25-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Your local early years department of your council is another place to start. They will all put you on the right track. Try googling for information in your area too.

breezy
25-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi and welcome, have a good look round the forum, theres loads of help there :)

nannysue
25-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Hello Tara and Welcome :thumbsup: Tara is my daughter's name as well !!

Daddy Day Care
25-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Tara :D

Gareth
xx

tara milne
26-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Thankyou all for replying :) well it has taken a few phone calls but have finally found the rite people to help me.....am just waiting for them to call back which will probally take about a week lol

I am so excited (sounds silly i know) but i have never had or done anything thats just for me really, i have always had jobs that i have just NEEDED to do because they fit around the kids or husband (even though childminding fits round the kids this is something that I want to do) i have, what feels like run myself ragged for years working till gone midnight in dead end jobs or working night shifts and being absolutley shattered the next day and still having to look after 2 kids with no sleep what so ever. its feels really good to be actually doing something possitive and hopefully something that is going to make me happy in my work life for a very long time to come :jump for joy:

I am just hoping that the cost of things isnt going to put a stop to it all b4 i have even started - out of interest does anyone know how much the icp course costs and how long it goes on for???

Thankyou for making me feel welcome and i am sure i will posting alot on here asking for advice lol ;)

OoopsyDaisy
26-08-2009, 07:18 PM
hey tara, firstly, well done for making the decision, it takes alot of courage, especially when you have children, to do something for you!

As far as I am aware the ICP doesn't cost, Early Years fund the course, if you fail the end exam twice, you will have to fund your re-sit yourself. The ICP course, for me, not sure if it is across the board, but it was two full saturdays and then two Tuesday evenings of two hours, for a mock exam and then your end exam. Once completed you get your Unit 1 Diploma for Home Childcare you can then go on to complete all units of the course, from home if you wish.

You will need to pay for your first aid course, which needs to be done first really, as OFSTED won't register you until this is done. The courses cost anything from £80-£100 but last for 3 years and then your next course is again, funded by Early Years.

Your OFSTED registration fee is a one off payment of £25.00.

If you decide to become a member of the NCMA (national childminding association) then that will cost £160.00 which includes your insurance, start up paperwork and a fire blanket. Once your a member you also get 50% off of all their products.

There are some grants available out their so you could be eligible but your information sessions will detail all of the info!

Best of luck with it all! :thumbsup:

Monkey1
26-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Tara, you should be eligable for a start up grant, these vary from area to area though!

alicia77
26-08-2009, 09:41 PM
thanks guys your advice helped me too :0)

Demonjill
26-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum its fab!!:thumbsup:

You sound very excited about it all. As everyone has said things vary from place to place.
And so does cost. Some areas get courses free and there may be a start up grant too.
Good luck hope it works out:thumbsup:

Pippa31
27-08-2009, 10:08 AM
hi
Really depends on your area. My first aid was covered by Local council so actually start up cost was 25 for Ofsted and doctors cert 40 which i haggled for they wanted 82.50 to start with.....

But no start up grant as I come from an over populated cm area!!! So say.....

Pippa