PDA

View Full Version : Hot food preparation

Kat
23-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi,

I will have Ofsted coming next week and just got in :panic:

How to prepare food corectly ? i will have hot lunch .... can I use microwave to reheat the food or i shouldn't ? on my food preparation i am checking temperature if it is over 78 but when will go on the table is much cooler for children ... do i need to say someting about it?

Debster
23-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi,

I will have Ofsted coming next week and just got in :panic:

How to prepare food corectly ? i will have hot lunch .... can I use microwave to reheat the food or i shouldn't ? on my food preparation i am checking temperature if it is over 78 but when will go on the table is much cooler for children ... do i need to say someting about it?

Its fine to heat food in the microwave as long as it reaches at least 75 degrees to kill bateria. I would not say anything! she may watch what you are doing and ask questions. My inspector never took any notice of how I prepared lunch she just asked the children if they enjoyed it. use your probe to check the food has reached the required temperature then cover it and leave to cool for a while or you could just make sandwiches that day if you are worried.

Heaven Scent
23-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Ofsted are not qualified in food prep so cannot inspect or comment - just faff about showing that you are checking its hot and then show you are allowing it to cool quickly and safely i.e fill a bowl or the sink with a little cold water and place the dishes in it taking care that the cold water doesn't get onto the food then stir it occasionaly and check its cool enough. I had my council food inspection recently and went berzerk at the poor bloke saying it wasn't fair that I was the only one in the county to be inspected and he got on to his office and they said there is a file of childminders there but they don't inspect them as yet and i don't need to comply to everything in the safter food better business thing and don't need to complete the folder etc any more as I am low risk and shouldn't be inspected for about 3 years now?????????????? He told me I was low risk last year and said I would propably never be visited again but I was so I don't believe him!!!!!!!!!

All the best with your inspection - my inspector left as soon as I started preparing food - just thought I'd add that to give you some hope that she'll b****r off once you start.