PDA

View Full Version : do i charge for settling in days?

carlen222
21-08-2009, 04:24 PM
hi, my first mindee that i took on today only had one settling in session of 2 hours but her mum came too. i was wondering, do i charge for the couple of hours if mum isnt there? or is this something childminders offer for free?? please help xx

atmkids
21-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm having a settling in session next week and I won't be charging.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
21-08-2009, 04:34 PM
I dont charge for settling in sessions

rickysmiths
21-08-2009, 04:34 PM
I usually do a couple of 1-2 sessions free. Never had a parent stay so I can't comment on that. The rest for me is covered in the first two weeks of the contract which are for settling in. The contract can be terminated at any point in the two weeks with no notice. I am paid for this.

A few years ago a few of us did settling in with a parent, we did 3 days each, she never stayed and then she signed with another cm. She got 9 days free childcare between 3 of us so I won't do free long sessions now. If a parent or I feel we need full days then it is paid for and I find that the parents usually want to pay for it.

Hebs
21-08-2009, 04:35 PM
I had my new mindees yesterday and having them next friday for settling in sessions......... they are free

anything extra is to be paid for :thumbsup:

Zoomie
21-08-2009, 04:41 PM
well I only have one sibling pair of mindees and they came weekly with their mum for 1 hour for about a month.

Then the week before they were to start, they came for 1 hour, 2 hours and then 3 hours.

All of this was for free.

breezy
21-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I do an absolute maximum of 2 x2 hour settling in sessions free , preferably one before and one after contracts signed.

Ripeberry
21-08-2009, 05:11 PM
With a first enquiry I meet the parents and the child at my house and I show them around and answer any questions they have. I then give them a basic info pack and if they want to go ahead, they come for a second visit where they can stay for an 1Hr to look through policies and sign contracts.
The first proper settling in session can either be a big 4hr session or two 2hr sessions.
I won't do more than 4hrs free for settling in. When the parents start with me, they pay a deposit that will be used towards childminding fees, so if they don't need me in those first 4 weeks then I have been paid but I think I have to return the rest :(

zillervalley
21-08-2009, 05:18 PM
my latest one has had 3x4hrs free

she then asked for 2x 8hrs as parent wanted to get her hair done and sort thing s out for starting work, i have charged for these days

ziller

carlen222
21-08-2009, 05:29 PM
thanks everyone, ill offer couple 2 hour sessions for free settling in, anything over that ill charge the usual hourly rate. cheers!! xx

fionamal
21-08-2009, 05:38 PM
As a rule I offer 2 x 2hour settling in sessions and if any more are needed then they are paid for.

westbrom44
21-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Hello.

I usually encourage parents to come with the new child for a couple of times at first for about an hour which I dont charge for. Then I will have the child without the parent for a couple of 2 hour sessions which I will charge for.

Blackhorse
21-08-2009, 06:42 PM
my first mindee was here with mum twice and will be here alone twice.
Once he was here for 3 hours with his older brother (12) which was a favour to mum as I know her plus first settling in sesssion...
As part of my settling in sessions I want to make sure the child does a variety of things..like eat here..sleep here....etc etc. I thought that would be benefitial..to see how the child will be.

so next monday is his 2nd settling in and he will be here from about 11.30-14.45 so will have lunch and a nap here.
If any more was required I would charge for it..but the first 2 sessions are free (and I have so far not put a time limit on them)
and any visits of parents + child for first meeting plus contract and paperwork I dont charge.

I dont know if I would do a settling in session for someone I am not sure about whether they will sign a contract or not though... I would be worried they would just use me instead of a babysitter...

Princess Sara
21-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I offer up to 4 hours free of charge, no more than 2 hours at a time. Anything over is charged.

oldtimer
28-08-2009, 05:09 PM
After the parent has signed a contract, and paid for a months childcare in advance (deposit), we then do a one hour settling in session, followed by a two hour settling in session and then a half day or just a little longer to cover (in the case of little ones) feeding and sleep times.

The settling in sessions are just that....(not a trial period)

the parent has the option of terminating the contract within the first month without notice...no questions asked (so far touchwood...this has not happened).....(this is the trial period)...

so it is up to you whether you want to charge for these settling in sessions (we do not)....

You really have to work it out according to the childcare you are giving...

if it is half a day a week....you most probably would not have the settling in sessions free of charge

whereas if you had a fulltimer (50 hours a week) then giving away a few hours of settling in...is not really a big deal

The Juggler
28-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I offer 4 hours free setting in at no cost to be taken as mum prefers. Any more than that I charge

loocyloo
28-08-2009, 09:48 PM
i tend to offer a couple of sessions free of charge, plus an hour or so when mum stays. i find it depends upon how long/often i will have the child, how old the child is etc.

i don't do settling in sessions until contracts signed, and invoice paid!

however, i had one mum who wanted to build up from 1-6 hrs over 6 weeks, and so i charged her for those, as it was taking up alot of my time, and, i felt, was for mums benefit, not the childs !!!

Zoemum2four
03-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I do 3 X 2hrs for settling and dont charge:) with or without parents

fucshia
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I did two 2 hour sessions before my new mindee started and didn't charge.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't charge