PDA

View Full Version : Family staying over

21-08-2009, 10:49 AM
My nephew may be coming to stay for a few weeks and I wasn't sure if I needed to inform Ofsted of this and what would be involved. Would he need to have a CRB check? And if so, would they stop me having mindees while the CRB is going thru? If this would be the case, then I would have to tell my nephew that he cannot come :(

tanya1981
21-08-2009, 11:00 PM
If he is just a visitor, you won't be leaving him alone with the children and you inform your parents, I can't see a problem, if the parents are ok with it?

however if he was staying for a long period then he would have to have a CRB check,...it might be best to ring ofsted and ask, see what the others on the forum say...alot of them have been childminders for years and would know about this sort of thing...

xx

Debster
23-08-2009, 07:45 AM
If is over 16 then I would assume he needs to be CRB checked like any ther member of your family. The only way to cover your back and be certain is to contact Ofsted and talk to them.

estrelas
23-08-2009, 07:50 AM
My family are currently staying with me

I just had to call Ofsted to inform them, do a risk assessment/explaination of how the children will still be safe etc

They said as they were coming from abroad, it was impossible to get a crb done in time.

23-08-2009, 04:40 PM
He is 19 and looking to stay with us while his application goes through to join the Army. My main worry is that Ofsted will be stop me from childminding whilst the CRB is going thru as CRB checks can take forever!

MissTinkerbell
29-08-2009, 12:42 PM
My friend who's a CM had her brother come and stay with her for 2 weeks last year. She phoned Ofsted and was told that because he was sleeping overnight in the house (even though he wasn't going to be there during her working hours at all) he needed to be CRB checked. She had to get him CRB checked and he couldn't stop with her until this was done.

PixiePetal
29-08-2009, 12:48 PM
This all seems a bit OTT.

Does it mean that if my mum comes to stay for a short while, she will need to be CRB checked. She would not be alone with minded children and is a 74 yr old grandmother!

Different if she was living with me but for visitors I find it a bit mad.

Tam's Tribe
29-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I know what you mean . . . my brother in law was shocked that he had to sign my visitors book while I was minding when he visited . . . BUT I'M FAMILY he proclaimed!!!! . . . it was quite funny!

carebear25
10-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I've just spoken to Ofsted regarding my dad and sister visitin for a week next week and was told just to do a risk assessment and not to leave alone with children :clapping:

Nat78
10-11-2009, 02:19 PM
My in laws come and stay for 6 weeks every summer (they live in Spain rest of time). A few weeks before they come to visit I always phone Ofsted to check this out. For past two years been told to risk assess situation and not leave alone with children. Also inform parents of situation so they don't wonder who the strangers wandering round the house are, most of the time they are out while I'm working anyway. Ofsted said they understand it is a home as well as a business and visitors are a posibility, its not possible to risk assess everyone, If they stop long term, more than 6 months I was told then CRB needs to be done and dont leave alone with children until cleared.

tinynippers
10-11-2009, 04:07 PM
when i was childminding in yorkshire i had lots of visitors (due to husband being in raf) especially when hubby was away for his 4 month tour. what ofstead said to me was as long as they weren't left with the children on there own (had to do ra) or they were'nt staying for more than 3 months at any one time and i let the parents know then crb checks didn't need to be done. xxx

louisepretty
10-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Get this then - at my inspection 3 years ago I was told that my then 7 year old son couldn't have friends round to play while I was minding if his friends were under 8 as they would be counted in my numbers. I said I wouldn't be being paid so surely they weren't minded children but she was quite firm on it.

My son had to wait until he and his friends turned 8 to be able to play at his home after school while I had mindees present. I know this has nothing to do with CRB but thought it was interesting as to what they do and don't allow.

By the way my mum, who lives away, was allowed to visit whenever she wanted without a CRB!

Carpet Monkeys
10-11-2009, 08:47 PM
At my pre-reg check a few weeks ago, I told the inspector that next year I may have my niece over to stay for 6 weeks during the holidays, she'll be 18 and I was told that I would have to get a CRB check completed.

Previously when I was childminding, my husband was away at sea (RN) and I was unable to get his CRB check completed, so I had a condition put on my Registration Certificate ... along the lines that he wasn't to be left alone until his CRB was completed.

I'd say to be on the safe side, get a CRB check done and get the ball rolling now!

Ripeberry
10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Louise, I know what you mean. My daughters friends know that they can't have their friends over during childminding hours. One of their friends can come over as he has just turned 8yrs old! :)
But the others have to wait outside and as soon as they see the mindee's parents collecting, they are over to the house like a swarm :D

louisepretty
11-11-2009, 02:33 PM
But the others have to wait outside and as soon as they see the mindee's parents collecting, they are over to the house like a swarm :D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: