PDA

View Full Version : Did EYFS training today

deeb66
23-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I had my EYFS training today run by Surrey County Council.

I have to say that I quite enjoyed myself......I like to get the opportunity to meet up with some of my other childminding friends....you do tend to see the same faces on these courses....don't we Mary (mjw)? :rolleyes:

As I do give up my valuable time I do try to make the best of any course that I go on and try to enjoy it instead of being resentful of having to be there.

Anyway s I said we had a good day today. It was split into 3 different workshops -

Letters & Sounds (about nursery rhymes and rhyming words etc)
Development (How children develope and how to use the Practice Guidence)
Observations (How & what is expected of you)

Although I did feel that some of it was a bit like teaching grandma to suck eggs I could understand why they did it because obviously there are some people out there who haven't done what I have or have the experience that I have.

Up until now I haven't really looked too much at EYFS as I was due my inspection and knew that I needed to stick to the 14 standards and B23.

I have spent the last couple of days going through it all and obviously did the training today.

I have come away in a very positive frame of mind and feel very confident that I will be able to implement EYFS fairly easily as it just means that I have to tweak a few things here and there as I have already been doing most of the stuff for the last couple of years under B23.

I actually think that EYFS is easier than B23 was as it gives more examples of how to implement.

Most of what they are asking you to do you should already be doing anyway the only difference is that it will be statutory to record the observations.

Yes it does mean extra paperwork for those who has never recorded them before or keep a development file on the children.

If a child is with you on a full time basis but you are only expected to do 2-3 very small observations each child in a week....if the child is only with you for a couple of days you will probably only have to do 1-2 observations.

The idea of sticky labels was given as an example which I actually thought was a very good idea. If you imagine the size of a sticky label then there isn't really mountains that you have to write.

In the example you had a clipboard with a sheet of 6 labels for each child.... One for each developmental area.

Personal social & Emotional development (PSED)
Communication Language & Literacy (CLL)
Problem Solving, Reasoning & Numeracy (PSRD)
Knowledge & understanding of the world (KUW)
Physical development (PD)
Creative Development (CD)

The idea is that you complete your short observation and when you can (maybe at the end of the week) you transfer the label to the individual records.

From these observations you could assess what the next step would be and how the child can develop further. You do not have to do this for every observation you make just a few.

If you wanted to you could then plan what you would do to help the child achieve the next step which will help with your monthly planning. Again you do not need to do this for every observation.

As I said I am in a much more positive frame of mind and am happy to start implementing EYFS in the next couple of weeks.

What was also nice is that we had a really nice goodie bag at the end full of really good resources.

Spangles
23-02-2008, 07:20 PM
It's nice to hear someone being so positive about EYFS. You make me feel happier about it too just from reading your thread!

sarah707
23-02-2008, 07:33 PM
That sounds really positive Dee! Thank you for sharing! :D

cherry
23-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks Dee, you make it sound less frightening. I have my EYFS training in March and will go with a much more positive mind.

Tily Bud
23-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Sounds like it was very helpful Dee x

Me and Hazel are due to go on a full day EYFS on 15th March and it sounds like it will be very similar to your training , hope we find it as useful x

angeldelight
23-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks Dee that sounds simple enough

At least you were not bored stiff either

Thanks for sharing

Speak later

Angel xx

nell57
23-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for sharing and giving us a bit of insight Dee, Stoke early years have not even put any training days on yet:rolleyes: , until the next training program is issued in April, can you imagine what an almighty scramble that's going to be.

Helen

charleyfarley
23-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Mine's on the 1st March so I don't feel so worried about it now from what you've said.

I just hope there's someone I know there this time

The goody bag sounds good:)

Thanks for telling us

Carol xx

charleyfarley
23-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for sharing and giving us a bit of insight Dee, Stoke early years have not even put any training days on yet:rolleyes: , until the next training program is issued in April, can you imagine what an almighty scramble that's going to be.

Helen

Are you not Staffordshire early years then??

As I'm on mine in Leek on 1st March

Carol xx

nell57
23-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Are you not Staffordshire early years then??

As I'm on mine in Leek on 1st March

Carol xx

No I'm under stoke early years, they are separate from moorlands. Its really frustrating they not put any training on yet, seen as how important subject it is.

I had a feeling you were under a different one than me., would have been nice to meet on a course and put faces to names.

Helen

miffy
23-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks Dee you make it sound straightforward

I'm booked on my training in May so hope it's as good as yours sounded

Miffy xx

chubbymummy
23-02-2008, 08:20 PM
i do mine next sat on 1st march

i had a letter yesterday to say wear appropriate clothing for both messy and outdoor play!!!!!!

Banana
23-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Dee and also glad to hear that its not as scary as im thinking it is!!

xx

lindylou
23-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks in wirral are training is on next saturday and we actually get 50 pounds for attending its sounds like it was quite interesting
Linxx

Pipsqueak
23-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I am glad you have found it such a postive experience Dee and its great that there is some good feedback coming through.

We are yet to have some training (I have done a little for my support minding role but not much).

wendywu
23-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Will they be giving us the development books like they did in the birth to three. I glad you think it will not be to hard to pass over from B23 to EYFS. Do mine on 8th march:thumbsup:

Noodles
23-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I have mine in march too. Nice to hear that it dont seem too bad. I keep hearing stories from other childminders and i am starting to worry about extra paperwork etc

mjw
23-02-2008, 09:55 PM
As Dee said earler the training today was not bad at all. Infact some bits were very helpful and we now have a better idea about the recording that is needed.....not as much as we first thought. It is a bit like when B23 first appeared and everyone was unsure what was expected.
Lots to take in from today. But it was quite a giggle too....always is with Dee!!:laughing:

Angela234
23-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I have done 2 two hours courses 3rd week after next thats about observation
also have a EYFS workshop next week our county are also putting on several other workshop/courses covering all the areas i have 4 in the next few months.
Thanks Dee the more i attend or read about i feel better about it. Just the extra paperwork it will involve.

Angela

teacake2
24-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi, I have got some training on the 15th March, it is a full day session so will be interesting to see if it works the same way as some of the other ones done. Our area have also been invited to attend Pilot Drop-in Sessions to be held in the East Staffs Children's Centre (where our Network is based) to enable us to ask any questions we may have and to sahre our views on how the Early Years and Childcare team can support us through the changes. Luckily I am on holiday on the first day so hopefully I will be able to go along (next Friday) and see what they have to say.

A message for Sarah, I have received my ebooks from you to-day, thank you very much, I have had a quick look and decided I need to spend a nice quiet afternoon taking in all the fantastic work you have done for everyone.

Sorry for the long post, but I am relatively new to this and find I get carried away.
Teacake2
(Margaret):thumbsup:

Blaze
24-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Ummm...be careful, as I very nearly left the same training (just on a different day) thinking it had covered all the planning..when in fact the short, medium & long term, as well as indivual planning is to be covered on another course!:rolleyes:
Tasha:)

Blaze
24-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Have to admit it was one of the best training days i've been on.

miss muffit
24-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi and thanks for the info Dee, it was very helpful and we get a goodie bag yippy! :clapping: K :) :) :)

Twinkles
24-02-2008, 09:41 AM
It sounds good. I must admit I was dreading mine on the 8th March. I too will go with a positive atitude now I've read this. Thanks Dee

littletreasures
24-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Your training sessions sound so much better than mine.

I have now been on two 2-hour sessions, each one covering one of the sections. Last time we did a Unique child.

I can honestly say I didn't gain anything from it at all. By just reading through the cards at home, I could probably learnt more.

On the evaluation sheets they give out at the end to be filled in, under the question what did you gain from this course, my friend and I put "a certificate".

She kept on saying you are doing everything you need to be doing already, you just need to know how to write it down. Did she tell us how to do that NO!

We have another two to go to and am not looking forward to them at all.

Jules

angeldelight
24-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah I have heard a few say that Jules

Dees did sound very informative

Strange how it differs though from area and area and of course really unfair

xx

deeb66
24-02-2008, 10:24 AM
It is a shame that it differs so much from area to area :(

It definately sounds like I am one of the lucky ones to live in the Surrey Area!

I will say that our Early Years Team are absolutely brilliant.... :)

They have obviously put in a tremendous amount of hard work and I cannot give them enough praise.......they have done an excellent job of trying to sort it all out for us and give us the support and training in the areas that we need.

And they laid on a really impressive lunch too......very nice indeed :thumbsup:

As I said there were 3 different workshops across the day and I actually got something out of all of them.....they all helped me get my head around what I have to do.....

They gave us good practical advise and showed us that we were already doing a majority of what is required but we just didn't know it and where it all fit in.

I think one of the major benefits was that they showed us how to use the Practice Guidence book effectively.........

To be quite honest I had looked at it and thought ...ummmm yes very nice...and then put it away again with the thought that I wouldn't use it but yesterday the course trainers really did give us some good hints and tips and made the Guidence 'user friendly' and now I will be happy to use it and help me to track the children's development and use it for ideas.......it is so much better than B23

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nix
24-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Glad to hear you found it positive.

I'm looking forward to going on 15th March. I'm fairly new to childminding and this will be the first training I've had on what is expected via EYFS. I have some info on Birth to Three but have never had training. I shall attend in a more positive frame of mind, thanks for the feedback.

You must be local...are there many people on in from Surrey? I'm in Frimley/Camberley.

deeb66
24-02-2008, 10:35 AM
You must be local...are there many people on in from Surrey? I'm in Frimley/Camberley.

I am from Weybridge...in Elmbridge area

There are a few of us dotted around the Surrey area.

littletreasures
24-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Wish I'd moved house now.
I live in Cheam, Surrey, so am classed as Greater London.

If I move over the main road, I would be in Epsom, so souldcome under Surrey!

Jules

Twinkles
24-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm Redhill and so is wendywu. Tasha's Surrey too. We should all meet up sometime.

Nix
24-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Would love to get together sometime.

Nix x

littletreasures
24-02-2008, 12:05 PM
That sounds a good idea.

With mindees or without?
Jules

Nix
24-02-2008, 12:40 PM
oh good question...with or without I don't mind. Whatever suits everyone...

Blaze
24-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm OXTED Nix...but may be moving to Frimley shortley!!! Small world!

Nix
24-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Tasha

Oxted is very different to Frimley in my mind, what will bring you over this way? Be great to have someone that close though!

son77
24-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I too had my eyfs training yesterday & it was pants!!

It was a real shame when I gave up my whole day and came out more confused.

Questions that I asked weren't really answered, & she first had to read in the book to know what I was talking about.

The same as Dee the postic notes were mentioned for obs, said to use these to aid us with planning but didnt go through any planning ideas though.

Didnt have workshops either, had some group work which was absolutely pointless.

The only thing I came away with they advised us to make a chart with all our resources/activities on (which could be a very long chart!) and tick next to each of them which areas of development they covered.

She said if we did this we didnt need to write down to much when doing planning etc, ie if you wrote activity was painting you dont need to write what areas it covers as it was already on the chart. (Hope this makes sense!)

I think thats about it, we all came away really disheartened (but with a full belly as lunch was lovely).

deeb66
24-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm Redhill and so is wendywu. Tasha's Surrey too. We should all meet up sometime.

Would love to meet up!

Are you coming to Communication Day next Saturday?

It is in Cobham.

Twinkles
24-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Wendywu and I are booked on the EYFS training next Sat.
How about another time? Shall we meet up for a girls night out?

deeb66
24-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Wendywu and I are booked on the EYFS training next Sat.
How about another time? Shall we meet up for a girls night out?

I don't mind....

I am happy to either meet up in the day with the kids or meet up for a night out.

I could check with Mandy (nannan) and Mary (mjw) to see if they would like to meet up also.

What do you want to do?

Blaze
24-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Where's Mandy (Nannan) then? Luciawak is Frimley & Wiggy is near Basingstoke.

Mollymop
24-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for posting this Dee as I have my training in a couple of weeks time and I was dreading it to be truthful, as I am new to childminding anyway, but now I feel much better after reading your review of the course. Thanks:thumbsup:

deeb66
24-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Where's Mandy (Nannan) then? Luciawak is Frimley & Wiggy is near Basingstoke.

Mandy (nannan) is in Addlestone which is just up the road from me. Mary (mjw) is also only a few miles away.

Both will be at Commuications day next Saturday

Twinkles
24-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm happy to go with the majority. It might be nice to meet up without the children so we can have a proper chat. If not everyone wants to go out for an evening we could meet up for lunch one Saturday?

deeb66
24-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm happy to go with the majority. It might be nice to meet up without the children so we can have a proper chat. If not everyone wants to go out for an evening we could meet up for lunch one Saturday?

I think that sounds like quite a good idea.....I like the idea of initially meeting on a Saturday afternoon.

We could meet up in a pub for either a drink or have lunch.....I am happy to go with whatever the majority decide.

If it is a Saturday I definately cannot do this coming one (1st) or the following one (8th) but am free after that.

See what everyone else wants to do

littletreasures
25-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm up for meeting up for lunch one Saturday.

I can't do 1st, 8th. 15th I'm doing the next boring 2 hours EYFS session. 29th is 2 of my kids birthday weekend.

So the only one in March I can do is 22nd.

April isn't too bad.

Where shall we meet?
Jules

Blaze
25-02-2008, 11:12 AM
April would work better fo me too!

deeb66
25-02-2008, 02:02 PM
At this stage in the game April is pretty clear for me.

I drive so am happy to come closer to you...

Tasha I know that you don't drive so it is harder for you. Do you have access to any transport at all?

Blaze
25-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Hubby...does he count?
Tasha:D

wendywu
27-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Well mine doesnt count for much( only joking ) I think a lunch date sound a lovely idea, without minded children of course.

Its really nice to have found so many new friends.:laughing:

peggy
09-03-2008, 12:06 AM
I had my EYFS training today run by Surrey County Council.

I have to say that I quite enjoyed myself......I like to get the opportunity to meet up with some of my other childminding friends....you do tend to see the same faces on these courses....don't we Mary (mjw)? :rolleyes:

As I do give up my valuable time I do try to make the best of any course that I go on and try to enjoy it instead of being resentful of having to be there.

Anyway s I said we had a good day today. It was split into 3 different workshops -

Letters & Sounds (about nursery rhymes and rhyming words etc)
Development (How children develope and how to use the Practice Guidence)
Observations (How & what is expected of you)

Although I did feel that some of it was a bit like teaching grandma to suck eggs I could understand why they did it because obviously there are some people out there who haven't done what I have or have the experience that I have.

Up until now I haven't really looked too much at EYFS as I was due my inspection and knew that I needed to stick to the 14 standards and B23.

I have spent the last couple of days going through it all and obviously did the training today.

I have come away in a very positive frame of mind and feel very confident that I will be able to implement EYFS fairly easily as it just means that I have to tweak a few things here and there as I have already been doing most of the stuff for the last couple of years under B23.

I actually think that EYFS is easier than B23 was as it gives more examples of how to implement.

Most of what they are asking you to do you should already be doing anyway the only difference is that it will be statutory to record the observations.

Yes it does mean extra paperwork for those who has never recorded them before or keep a development file on the children.

If a child is with you on a full time basis but you are only expected to do 2-3 very small observations each child in a week....if the child is only with you for a couple of days you will probably only have to do 1-2 observations.

The idea of sticky labels was given as an example which I actually thought was a very good idea. If you imagine the size of a sticky label then there isn't really mountains that you have to write.

In the example you had a clipboard with a sheet of 6 labels for each child.... One for each developmental area.

Personal social & Emotional development (PSED)
Communication Language & Literacy (CLL)
Problem Solving, Reasoning & Numeracy (PSRD)
Knowledge & understanding of the world (KUW)
Physical development (PD)
Creative Development (CD)

The idea is that you complete your short observation and when you can (maybe at the end of the week) you transfer the label to the individual records.

From these observations you could assess what the next step would be and how the child can develop further. You do not have to do this for every observation you make just a few.

If you wanted to you could then plan what you would do to help the child achieve the next step which will help with your monthly planning. Again you do not need to do this for every observation.

As I said I am in a much more positive frame of mind and am happy to start implementing EYFS in the next couple of weeks.

What was also nice is that we had a really nice goodie bag at the end full of really good resources.

Was it at the Baptist Church Dee?!! I went to one today, *shock horror* could of been the same one?!! I too am feeling much more positive about it having been on it today, and am not as phased as I was! (They put on a cracking lunch too!!!) x

wendywu
09-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Twinkles and i went to that one to. We did the development workshop first. Then the planning were you in our group?

peggy
09-03-2008, 12:31 AM
no, i did the planning one first, then the letters and sounds then the child development one! (death by powerpoint......soz...maybe coz it were the last one i was feeling drained and I had cronic earache: if you saw a girl in specs clutching her ear it was me, Lol!!!)

The stall they had was really good, did you see those "thunder" instruments?, they were wicked!!! I didnt have any cash on me at the time but I'm def ordering one!

And I agree the freebies was excellent, way more than I expected!

For someone that was really and I mean REALLY worried about EYFS I feel much better about since being on the conference, I intend to use the sticky note idea and get the pre-printed sheets from that e-mail address they gave us, although I have been told that Surrey will be giving planning sheets out on the planning if you go to further courses run by them - but I really liked the examples we were shown today (you know the coloured sheets for each age?)

I must admit when i knew a few members on here are from surrey, i did look around earlier and think....mmmm now I wonder if anyone from the site is here?!!!

Shame we didnt get the opportunity to meet up!! (til the next time!)

Blaze
09-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Peggy...I will confess...I nicked those sheets, so i could get the colour coding right!:blush:
Tasha:thumbsup:
PS Where are you in Surrey?

peggy
09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Peggy...I will confess...I nicked those sheets, so i could get the colour coding right!:blush:
Tasha:thumbsup:
PS Where are you in Surrey?

heh heh! I was tempted too! Could you pm the colours they used for each age group?!!!! I'm in Banstead hun x

deeb66
09-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I am glad that you ladies enjoyed the training and have found it to be beneficial.

I really think that Surrey's Early Years Team have pushed the boat out on the training they have been laying on for us and I think it is brilliant!

I can't remember where you are Peggy but I had mine several weeks ago in Woking....it was in a church hall (by the Wolesey Centre) but can't remember the name of the place!.

On a further note.....You should all have recieved your new Training updates - have you noticed that further training has been laid on for EYFS - I would definately recommend booking on for further help and assistance :thumbsup:

wendywu
09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes i have already sent off for the planning workshop. Twinkles letter has got as far as her car.

Peggy did you give a lady from epsom a lift because her car had broken down? She said that lady was from Bansted.

Off down the gym now will catch up later.

peggy
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Yes i have already sent off for the planning workshop. Twinkles letter has got as far as her car.

Peggy did you give a lady from epsom a lift because her car had broken down? She said that lady was from Bansted.

Off down the gym now will catch up later.

no it wernt me! But you can count on us Bansteadonians if your in need!!

Lol!

wendywu
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok peggy i will remember that. How about friday i have my ofsted inspection. If you could just take 2 under fives for me so i will only have one, and my house could do with a quick clean, and a home made apple pie would look good!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mipaho
02-05-2008, 09:06 PM
hi i,m kaz
JUST JOINED DO NOT KNOW WHAT I,M DOING. BUT I,M HAVING A GO. THIS EYFS IS CONFUSING ME. GOT SOME TIPS FROM ALL YOUR WRITE UPS.:jump for joy:

deeb66
03-05-2008, 07:12 AM
hi i,m kaz
JUST JOINED DO NOT KNOW WHAT I,M DOING. BUT I,M HAVING A GO. THIS EYFS IS CONFUSING ME. GOT SOME TIPS FROM ALL YOUR WRITE UPS.:jump for joy:

Hi Caz

There is loads of information around the forum which will help you!

Don't forget to pop into the 'Say Hello' section and introduce yourself to the members :thumbsup:

Shirlwith3
04-05-2008, 07:58 AM
I've got my EYFS course next month am going with some fellow childminders from our cm group. I do enjoy going on courses as you meet new people to share experienices with, just like going on my own.

Shirl

sarah32
04-05-2008, 08:38 AM
I did mine the last 2 thursday and came away more confused than before. I lot of angry childminders at the end of it as none of our questions werent really answered as the tutors didnt really know the answers or even what they were teaching.:mad:

All they seemed to do was give websites like Bromley childminding association out that could help you or give you more answers. Knew these already. Complete waste of time and I lost two evenings with my family.:angry:

ginag
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Thank you for sharing that Dee. Big changes and extra paperwork are daunting but you made it sound achievable and relevent!

Gina x

deeb66
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Thank you for sharing that Dee. Big changes and extra paperwork are daunting but you made it sound achievable and relevent!

Gina x

You are welcome Gina

I am glad that it helped!

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
07-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I did mine the last 2 thursday and came away more confused than before. I lot of angry childminders at the end of it as none of our questions werent really answered as the tutors didnt really know the answers or even what they were teaching.:mad:

All they seemed to do was give websites like Bromley childminding association out that could help you or give you more answers. Knew these already. Complete waste of time and I lost two evenings with my family.:angry:

Hi

I know how you feel it was the same on our course the tutors could not answer half of the questions they just said read through the book and it will become clearer.

Lorraine xx