PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard about the 17 Judgements?

Josieanne
20-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi everyone,
I had a call from Ofsted yesterday to arrange my first inspection and she said that from the 1st September there is an additional part of the inspection called the 17 judgments - does anyone know what this is about?? I want to be as prepared as possible and this has put me off slightly!
Thanks
:)

Twinkles
20-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Oh I think we could guess at some;

1. Thou shalt not have a home any more thou shalt have a 'setting'

2. Thou shalt do unto OFSTED as they see fit on the day of inspection but will not let anyone know beforehand.

any more girls ?

Twinkles
20-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Sorry Josieanne couldn't help myself :blush: someone sensible will be along soon. :D

Hebs
20-08-2009, 09:25 PM
thou must honor thou OFSTED inspector

:laughing:

Hebs
20-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Sorry Josieanne couldn't help myself :blush: someone sensible will be along soon. :D

at this time of night i doubt it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:27 PM
3 If you can mindread what we are expecting of you - we shall move the goalposts

4 We shall not tell you about anything that you need to know and if you need to know it and discover it we will not give you a straight answer

5 please refer to EYFS

6 no two people at Ofsted organisation will give you the same answer twice

7 no two inspectors will have the same judgements to work from thus ensuring to keep everyone guessing at all times

lol

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:27 PM

that rules out me and Hebs so far then......

Hebs
20-08-2009, 09:28 PM
that rules out me and Hebs so far then......

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
20-08-2009, 09:29 PM
8. Should you get something right we will ask for a ten page essay saying how you will get it righter next time.

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Seriously though - SARAH...... lol

think this is the criteria that they are judging you against - not sure how new it is though

loving number 8 Twinks:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Think I have found what you are looking for....

What the Inspector is looking for:

(ofsted website)

Our inspectors give provision one of four grades: outstanding, good, satisfactory or inadequate. To help inspectors reach a judgment they will consider 'What is it like for a child here?'

To answer this important question, inspectors will judge how effectively the childminder or childcare provider:

•meets the needs of children in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) taking into consideration:
•how well the setting promotes inclusive practice
•is able to maintain continuous improvement
•is led and managed taking into consideration how well they use
•self-evaluation to promote improvement
•work in partnership with parents, carers and others
•safeguard children
•helps children in the Early Years Foundation Stage learn and develop
•ensures the welfare of children in the Early Years Foundation Stage is promoted, taking into consideration how well they help children to:
•stay safe
•be healthy
•enjoy and achieve
•make a positive contribution
•develop skills for the future that will contribute to their future economic well-being.

To reach these judgments, the inspector takes into consideration the welfare, learning and development requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework.

The Childcare Register
We will inspect a random selection of all those on the Childcare Register. We will also inspect all providers where we receive a complaint about the childcare provision that relates to the requirements of registration or any conditions we may have imposed on the registration. We carry out inspections with little or no notice, unless providers are home childcarers, in which case we seek the consent of parents.

If we decide to inspect, an inspector will visit the provision to check compliance with the requirements and will give feedback on the outcome of the inspection. Read more about the Requirements for the Childcare Register for childcare providers and childminders.

At the inspection visit, the inspector will:

•talk to the provider, the children and any staff members and observe the provision to make sure policies are being put into practice
•check registration details and assess compliance with, and understanding of, the requirements of registration
•assess the safety of the premises and risk assessments
•assess any member of staff’s understanding of policies and procedures
•look at recruitment policies, where applicable
•look at arrangements for making sure unvetted people do not have unsupervised access to children.

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:37 PM
bit more info

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Care-and-local-services/Childcare/Inspection/Guidance-for-inspectors

sweets
20-08-2009, 09:37 PM
thats far too much reading for this time of night!!:laughing:

Twinkles
20-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Think I have found what you are looking for....

What the Inspector is looking for:

(ofsted website)

Our inspectors give provision one of four grades: outstanding, good, satisfactory or inadequate. To help inspectors reach a judgment they will consider 'What is it like for a child here?'

To answer this important question, inspectors will judge how effectively the childminder or childcare provider:

•meets the needs of children in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) taking into consideration:
•how well the setting promotes inclusive practice
•is able to maintain continuous improvement
•is led and managed taking into consideration how well they use
•self-evaluation to promote improvement
•work in partnership with parents, carers and others
•safeguard children
•helps children in the Early Years Foundation Stage learn and develop
•ensures the welfare of children in the Early Years Foundation Stage is promoted, taking into consideration how well they help children to:
•stay safe
•be healthy
•enjoy and achieve
•make a positive contribution
•develop skills for the future that will contribute to their future economic well-being.

To reach these judgments, the inspector takes into consideration the welfare, learning and development requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework.

The Childcare Register
We will inspect a random selection of all those on the Childcare Register. We will also inspect all providers where we receive a complaint about the childcare provision that relates to the requirements of registration or any conditions we may have imposed on the registration. We carry out inspections with little or no notice, unless providers are home childcarers, in which case we seek the consent of parents.

If we decide to inspect, an inspector will visit the provision to check compliance with the requirements and will give feedback on the outcome of the inspection. Read more about the Requirements for the Childcare Register for childcare providers and childminders.

At the inspection visit, the inspector will:

•talk to the provider, the children and any staff members and observe the provision to make sure policies are being put into practice
•check registration details and assess compliance with, and understanding of, the requirements of registration
•assess the safety of the premises and risk assessments
•assess any member of staff’s understanding of policies and procedures
•look at recruitment policies, where applicable
•look at arrangements for making sure unvetted people do not have unsupervised access to children.

Oh well done Pip :thumbsup:

Swot

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:38 PM
9 - Ofsted wants to know why the parents are happy with you and how you can prove
(well I am fluffed I blooming know - perhaps its cause they keep bringing the kdis back and paying me?????)

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Swot

I saw that!!!:laughing:

I;m the sensible one ner ner ner ner.... I am redeeming myself (for now):D

Pauline
20-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Blimey Pip what's got into you? You'll be starting doing EYFS next :laughing:

Twinkles
20-08-2009, 09:44 PM
oops the boss is here , quick look sensible :littleangel:

buildingblocks
20-08-2009, 09:46 PM
My Ofsted inspector was saying something about this and how from Sept there will be limited judgements (might not be the right wording). She even said to tell my friends who are childminders about it

Certain of these judgements eg safegauarding will mean that if you got a satisfactory for that bit you would not be able to get an overall good. Sorry if I am not explaining it well. But say now you got a mixture of good and satisfactory you might get an overall good but certain of these judgements mean that if you got a satisfactory than you will only be able to have an overall satisfactory not a good. This is not set in stone but would be highly unlikely not to be

hope that makes sense

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Blimey Pip what's got into you? You'll be starting doing EYFS next :laughing:

Sarah lent me her brain while she is away....:laughing:

Just a question though... whats EYFS????

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 09:48 PM

I was:D :littleangel: :D :littleangel: being sensible

zillervalley
20-08-2009, 09:48 PM
well done

thats so funny
ziller

Hebs
20-08-2009, 09:49 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Monkey1
21-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Yes my inspector told me about it last week, i just thought.....thank god she's here before Sep 1st !

Pauline
21-08-2009, 07:14 AM
My Ofsted inspector was saying something about this and how from Sept there will be limited judgements (might not be the right wording). She even said to tell my friends who are childminders about it

Certain of these judgements eg safegauarding will mean that if you got a satisfactory for that bit you would not be able to get an overall good. Sorry if I am not explaining it well. But say now you got a mixture of good and satisfactory you might get an overall good but certain of these judgements mean that if you got a satisfactory than you will only be able to have an overall satisfactory not a good. This is not set in stone but would be highly unlikely not to be

hope that makes sense

Yes it makes sense to me! :)

It is similar to how it used to be on the old standards, you could be deemed good for most things but if one of the standard requirements were not met you were automatically given satisfactory. Happened to a friend of mine, she missed having a signature on one of her medication forms and although the inspector said she was an excellent childminder and deserved 'good' she had to give her a satisfactory because of that.

Pauline
21-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Poor Josieanne, you must think you've arrived in the mad house! :)

You might find some of the booklets on the free downloads helpfull too:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/freedownloads.html

There is one about preparing for your Ofsted visit and one 'what the inspector will be looking for'.

sarah707
21-08-2009, 07:27 AM
:huh: Somebody nicked my brain :D

Pipsqueak
21-08-2009, 07:29 AM

:D :rolleyes: I am having problems operating it though..... its too powerful for me....:D

Pauline
21-08-2009, 07:32 AM

I didn't notice :laughing:

Pipsqueak
21-08-2009, 07:37 AM
back to being serious - the info that I pulled up is pre-this Sept 1st so I presume then there is a new set of judgements?:panic:

sarah707
21-08-2009, 07:43 AM
:D :rolleyes: I am having problems operating it though..... its too powerful for me....:D

ah well at least I know where the button is! :D

jibberjitz
21-08-2009, 11:47 AM
wow thanks for that! Will save it and read it later as could be due inspection at any time :eek:

buildingblocks
21-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes it makes sense to me! :)

Not sure that it is a good thing admitting to understanding me lol

sue m
21-08-2009, 12:31 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup:

breezy
21-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Poor Josieanne, you must think you've arrived in the mad house! :)

hasnt she?

Oh and Pip give Sarah her brain back, it's far too big for you and just doesnt suit you at all:D :laughing:

Pipsqueak
21-08-2009, 06:54 PM
hasnt she?

Oh and Pip give Sarah her brain back, it's far too big for you and just doesnt suit you at all:D :laughing:

don't I know it.... had to stuff the other half down my bra:D

oldtimer
26-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Have not heard of 17 judgements, but have just had my first inspection !!!

Whilst chatting with the inspector, she said that from September 1st, the first thing that they would be checking would be the "Safeguarding Policy" and in particular a section detailing what the childminder would do if an allegation was made against them...........

if this section was not included or not in order then the inspection would be halted.....and obviously the rating given would be inadequate.....with an improvement notice !!!!

so get your policy in order.....you have been warned:)