PDA

View Full Version : parents taking the mick or me being sensitive?

zoe compton
20-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi guys,
i need some one else's opinion and i know guys are the right ones to ask.
I have been minding a little girl for the last 6 months....parents are seperated..and this is where the problem comes...once in a while dad picks her up about an hour early (i still charge to normal time)..has her overnight
but he drops her to me 30 mins before normal time....the first coupple of times i let it go as he picks her up an hour early....however its now getting to be at least once a week thing this week its happened twice...whats getting to me really is that they have never asked me if its ok for me to start work earlier...i know its only 30 mins but i'm a mum of 3 and that 30 mins makes a big impact on them getting them up and dressed, fed etc earlier....in my contract i have an out of hours charge of £5 (whether its a min or an hour over normal time) my husband says it doesnt matter if they pick her up earlier the day before or not if they drop her off early i should charge it. and have i left it too late to say anything now? do i carry on and bite my tounge, do i charge the £5 extra charge..or do i not charge anything if they pick her up early the day before?.....it just bugs me because it was never mentioned when we signed contracts and i've never been asked if i mind! please tell me am i just being to picky?

fionamal
20-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I would charge for the extra time. Your contract is from xx to xx and its upto them if the uplift earlier but pay you to the contracted time.

It's a small world
20-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I would tell them that if it continues you will have to start charging...you could say that you have been kind enough to overlook the previous occassions this has happened, but if it is going to be a regular thing then either change cointract (to new hours..not sure what hours you work or fees) if they don't want to change contract hours then say you will have to charge out of hours fees and this could become costly.

Not very qualified for long myself but think this is a good way..they might think ok been nice not to charge .better get myself organised..

HTH :blush:

Someone more experienced will be along soon Im sure

brightstar
20-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Mum may not realise dad is dropping mindee off early, so it might be an idea to mention it to her, especially if she's the one paying you. She may not be happy about paying the extra just because he can't stick to the contract. She might insist he pays the difference if he continues to drop off early, after all she keeps to the contracted hours. Situations can be delicate where seperated parents are concerned. Then again they could both be taking the mick. I would mention it to whoever pays the bill and give them the opportunity to stick to the contracted hours, and tell them if it continues you will have to review the contract and the costs.

mumof4
20-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I would say something even though its been going on a while. They might not realise theres any problem, I have one parent who seems to think its ok to pick up late, telling me on the day and then getting grandparents to pick up every every now and again to make up for it!:( This next term i will be saying something too!

Mummits
20-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I think I would also mention that it's a health and safety issue. If you are looking after the child you can't be running round doing all the last minute bits of cleaning and tidying and pre-opening safety checks. If you have to get up half an hour earlier to fit that stuff in, it's only reasonable that you should charge - and only if you are willing to do that too, otherwise just say you can't open early.

Kelly
20-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree with the others, I would have a chat about it, it probably hasn't even occured to dad. Explain that he is dropping off early and if wants to continue he will have to pay for the priviledge.

Hope it goes well

zoe compton
20-08-2009, 03:52 PM
thanks ladies..just wanted to make sure it wasn't me being too touchy....i'll have a word and see where we go...also got to touch on the subject that now baby is feeding herself (and taking 40 mins to eat brekkie) that as i only have 10 mins after she drops her off before i leave to do the school run i need her fed before she comes!?!?!don't think thats going to go down too well..fingers crossedxx

Kelly
20-08-2009, 03:56 PM
thanks ladies..just wanted to make sure it wasn't me being too touchy....i'll have a word and see where we go...also got to touch on the subject that now baby is feeding herself (and taking 40 mins to eat brekkie) that as i only have 10 mins after she drops her off before i leave to do the school run i need her fed before she comes!?!?!don't think thats going to go down too well..fingers crossedxx

Could you tell the parents the problem with timings and ask them if it is possible for the child to have breakfast at home, if they are not happy with that you should say that's fine but I will not be able to give the child breakfast until after the school run.:)

LittleAcorns
20-08-2009, 04:15 PM
great advice from everyone, Im getting a little bit tougher now...well sometimes, and would be tempted to say I notice the drop off time is half hour earlier, shall I make out a new contract for the additional time??!!

margimum
20-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Are you told the night before what time dad will be dropping off in the morning?
If not and he turns up early without any warning I would just not answer the door!!
You are available from the contracted hour and do not have any obligation to start earlier unless you choose to.
Saying this, if you don't mind starting early, offer to alter the contract to cover the extra time or charge the £5 fee when it happens.

Twinkles
20-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I would start with ' Do you need to change the contract times ?'

I have a policy that states 'The contracted hours are not transferrable , if you collect early then it doesn't mean you have extra time to use on another occasion'.

Also in the same policy it states 'Please do not arrive before your contracted time as I may not be ready to recieve the children and may be still setting up and organising things'.

Maybe you need a policy to hand out.