PDA

View Full Version : Just moaning!!!

LittleAcorns
16-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Just read my inspection report and it says this

has failed to identify hazards associated with the fire and rear gate. This does not fully safeguard children and is a breach of the legal requirements.

Im quite upset to be honest, my fire has a raised hearth, and on my pre reg inspection and my last inspection I specifically asked about it, fully expecting them to say I needed to get a fire guard, I even bought one, I never use my fire as it doesnt kick much heat out, so its better to use my heating! both inspectors said it would be fine with out one!!!

My back gate has a bolt, which is half way down so accessable to older children but again both inspectors said that was fine, my inspector last year even checked the gate before she knocked the door!! I understand what shes saying but my older children all know not to open the gate, infact they cant because its quite awkward! I can and will put a padlock on it

I never mind the inspectors picking up on things, I look at it as an assessment, but what I dont like is the inconsistency of information!

Minstrel
16-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Ah hun sorry to hear you are upset.

Do you have this all written down in risk assessments?

I wonder if its that they haven't read your thought process/ solutions and so this is what you've been picked up on, rather than not having the safety measures in place.

My pre reg inspector said i coudl protect the children in my home however i wished as long as the risk assessment was in place to show i had thoguht it all through.

Cazz
17-08-2009, 12:00 AM
I can understand why you're upset - are you not able to appeal against this if you had already been given different advice?

I had my pre-reg last week and I asked about my fire hearth as well as it's a raised marble one and I was also told I don't need a fireguard! I've got a small one in front of the actually fire which I never use anyway. She said as long as I am aware of the possible danger! In light of what you've just written I think I will either use a fireguard or try and get something to put around the edge of the hearth.

I know I would feel upset about this in an inspection report as well so I'm sending you big (((hugs)))

LittleAcorns
17-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Ah hun sorry to hear you are upset.

Do you have this all written down in risk assessments?

I wonder if its that they haven't read your thought process/ solutions and so this is what you've been picked up on, rather than not having the safety measures in place.

My pre reg inspector said i coudl protect the children in my home however i wished as long as the risk assessment was in place to show i had thoguht it all through.

good point, I think i just need to write it all down, if I put all the info in a risk assessment ie explained about the gate etc, would that be sufficient that I had assessed it?

Minstrel
17-08-2009, 12:04 AM
good point, I think i just need to write it all down, if I put all the info in a risk assessment ie explained about the gate etc, would that be sufficient that I had assessed it?

Yes i would say so.

Because it says 'IDENTIFY' hazards and not rectify the hazards so i would say the risk assessmant is what they were looking for.

LittleAcorns
17-08-2009, 12:04 AM
I can understand why you're upset - are you not able to appeal against this if you had already been given different advice?

I had my pre-reg last week and I asked about my fire hearth as well as it's a raised marble one and I was also told I don't need a fireguard! I've got a small one in front of the actually fire which I never use anyway. She said as long as I am aware of the possible danger! In light of what you've just written I think I will either use a fireguard or try and get something to put around the edge of the hearth.

I know I would feel upset about this in an inspection report as well so I'm sending you big (((hugs)))

My hearth is exactly the same as yours, to be honest another inspector told my friend CM that a fire guard in some ways can be more of a hazard and in falling on pointed corners!!

Im not going to use my fireguard but I am going to get some foam to fix around the hearth, I found it on a safety website, I'll find the info if you need it X

LittleAcorns
17-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Yes i would say so.

Because it says 'IDENTIFY' hazards and not rectify the hazards so i would say the risk assessmant is what they were looking for.

fantastic, thanks hun xx

Cazz
17-08-2009, 12:11 AM
My hearth is exactly the same as yours, to be honest another inspector told my friend CM that a fire guard in some ways can be more of a hazard and in falling on pointed corners!!

Im not going to use my fireguard but I am going to get some foam to fix around the hearth, I found it on a safety website, I'll find the info if you need it X

Yes please :thumbsup:

I don't really want to use a fireguard (my mum has given me a really old one that she used to use for us!) as personally I think they're really unattractive and I can see what you're saying about falling on it.

I have actually got the hearth on a risk assessment but if I can get some of the foam you mentioned it would show that I have done something about it.

LittleAcorns
17-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes please :thumbsup:

I don't really want to use a fireguard (my mum has given me a really old one that she used to use for us!) as personally I think they're really unattractive and I can see what you're saying about falling on it.

I have actually got the hearth on a risk assessment but if I can get some of the foam you mentioned it would show that I have done something about it.

No probs, I'll get the info tomorrow if thats ok, its in my pigsty of a filing cupboard :laughing:

nighty night xx

sarah707
17-08-2009, 06:55 AM
I have a fire guard because that's what successive inspectors have told me I need - despite hardly using that room and never using the fire!

If you feel strongly that the report is badly worded (which I think it is) then you should complain and explain exactly why you have risk assessments and your thought processes behind them.

Hth :D

miffy
17-08-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't have a fire guard - when asked about it's been enough that I never use the fire.

If you feel very strongly about it then put it in writing and see what happens.

Miffy xx

uf353432
18-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I have fire guards but they are not what Oftsed would class as adequate - but I don't use my Stoves in minding hours and if I choose to I would get an adequate fire guard.

I agree you should write and ask for your report to be reworded. I had mine recently and did not agree with 2 points and their wording and asked them to change it which they did without fuss.