PDA

View Full Version : Charging for my holidays

devoncm
15-08-2009, 09:05 AM
At the moment i charge £3.50 an hour, £7 before school and £10 after school, meals are included in the before/after school prices and also in a day price of £35, i dont really want to increase the price as most minders in area are around the same, i would though like to get paid for 1 or 2 weeks holiday a year, i thought i could put it in a newsletter or something less informal to start from next yr, but have no idea how i should word it and weather to put the actual dates as wouldnt know when holidays would be, how do you all do it if you charge for holidays?

rickysmiths
15-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi there. Well done, I have had paid holidays for years now.:clapping:

Two years ago I decided to increase the number of weeks holiday instead of a fee increase.

What I undertake to do is inform my parents of all my main intended holiday by the end of January. I have a two week consultation period then so parents can sort out and we can tweek the dates a little if needed. (only ever been asked if I can do this once in 10yrs!).

The aim is that they have holiday when I do so they do not need to pay someone else for childcare. (I sell this at the interview stage as a positive aspect of my service because a lot of parents don't like using others for a short time)

Bear in mind as well that most parents will have a minimum of 30days plus Bank holidays paid. The time off is usually not the problem its training them to see the advantage of holiday at the same time. My main hols are in school hols as well because dh is a teacher and dd,ds are at school and I will never take them out for a holiday.

When I increased from 4 to 5 weeks I said that I was intending to do this instead of a fee increase and as I hadn't increased my fees for 3yrs and I would not do so for at least a year, pending any extenuating circumstances. The extra weeks holiday was the same as a 4.5% increase spread over 4 yrs and did anyone have any objections? All the parents were fine.

You do need to know your parents, what do they do when you are away now and will they be open to planning ahead with you?

As most of my parents have more than 5 weeks holiday they pay full fee if they are away when I'm working. In otherwords the only time they don't pay is when I'm off sick or take an unexpected day for a funeral or something.

Oh and I charge an hourly all inclusive rate all my parents provide are the nappies and the children!

Hope this helps pm me if yyou would like. Go for it.:clapping:

Hebs
15-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I take 4 weeks paid holidays per year, parents are informed when they sign contracts, or they are informed as soon as i have dates in mind :thumbsup: usually a minimum of 6 months notice (even though i state in contracts 4 weeks notice)

rickysmiths
15-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I take 4 weeks paid holidays per year, parents are informed when they sign contracts, or they are informed as soon as i have dates in mind :thumbsup: usually a minimum of 6 months notice (even though i state in contracts 4 weeks notice)

Well done someone else. Reading threads on here I was beginning to think I was the only one to dare charge for holidays.

I also put 4 weeks notice on either side but I feel happier giving as much notice as possible. Normally my annual hol is flexible anyway. Though the parents were super last year when I was taking the children to an International Sea Scout Camp and couldn't change the dates!