PDA

View Full Version : What toys to buy when starting out??

CherryBlossom
13-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I am still on the courses at the moment, but thought it would be an idea to start buying things gradually rather than all in one go at great expense!

I am not sure what the best toys are to buy as obviously I have no idea who my mindees will be..do Ofsted expect to see lots of toys etc when they first come to check you out?

I want to be prepared and get some basic stuff..Ofsted visit expected beg.Oct.

Thanks

Blossom

carlen222
13-08-2009, 12:24 PM
i have 2 kids of my own (5 and 2) so when my c.c. officer first came out all that was around was there toys, which were mostly in their bedroom. i just told her that i had all their baby toys stored away and that id be using them. she never seemed to be worrying about what toys i had just that i was a suitable person and that my house was clean and safe??

ive sold quite alot of my kids old stuff at car boot sales so if you hear of one of them be a great place to pick up bits and pieces-jigsaws, games, baby toys etc

good luck!! xx

geordiebunny
13-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't have young kids and have been picking things up at car boots and off freecycle. But my inspector wasn't that interested I had everything setup highchair, pushchairs, car seats in and she didn't even look at them. So i don't think you need much as long as you understand what you need for age ranges.
Good luck

Alz
13-08-2009, 05:32 PM
...same here, got lots of things as have a daughter, but pick up bits and bobs from charity shops, car boots etc....especially more boys/unisex things! Have found charity shops great for books!!

Alz
13-08-2009, 05:33 PM
...oooh...ofsted lady didn't say anything about the toys I had out, she was more interested in me and my understanding of EYFS!!

daazee
13-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I had a lot of toys from my own children but i got a lot of really nice baby stuff from ebay

venus89
13-08-2009, 06:39 PM
No point picking up too much until you know who you're buying it for but it's worth going to harity shops and boot fairs, and keeping and eye on Freecycle

Pipsqueak
13-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Its takes time to build up your resources and you can't anticipate what you are going to need age group wise.

Good things to start stocking up on

art and crafts materials
books - fact, fiction, reference
manipulative and fine motor skills
dressing up/role play (hit the charity shops/boot sales)
construction
music cd's /instruments

a range of outdoor toys

think about things when you are getting them about being inclusive and reflecting a diverse society as well.

don't worry though - you cannot get all these things at once, for most people it not financially possible

venus89
13-08-2009, 06:41 PM
You following me around Pip?!