PDA

View Full Version : advice please

Delly
22-02-2008, 03:15 PM
my friend has asked me to look after her child on an as and when basis, so could be 4 hours a week or 20.

Can I do this ? I know it will take up a full time place, but how do I do the contract to cover this?

Basically i think she just wants me to be available as and when she needs and she only wants to pay for the hours I have her.

She asked me ages ago and to be honest she was probably the reason why I though about registering but with now all the hard work you need to go through to get registered i'm starting to think that it will be a waste of a place after all this is a business i'm going to be running..
but its really awkward...

Is anyone else this flexible?

deeb66
22-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I am sorry Delly but I personally wouldn't touch this one with a barge pole.

Firstly she is your friend.....many years of experience have taught me that friendship or family and business DO NOT WORK.

Secondly.....this child would be taking a full time place but only doing a few hours here and there.

What happens if you are busy doing something else at the times that she wants you to have the child....would she understand and say fair enough or would she expect you to drop everything......would you be able to cope with having to drop everything or would you get resentful.

It sounds to me what she needs is more like a creche!

If you really wanted to you could do it on the provision that it is only until you have a client to fill the place.....personally I wouldn't but of course it is up to you

Blaze
22-02-2008, 03:25 PM
No!

Your a business not a charity...if on occassion she needs a full tme place then that is what she has to pay for all the time so you keep the place open for her...at the very most i would charge a retainer fee for hours not used & set a minimum hour limit of 10 hours (full price)...but even then you are potentially looking at loosing out on a lot of money!

Tasha:)

Banana
22-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Have to agree with Dee - I wouldn't go near it! Thats if you value your friendship!

xx

Delly
22-02-2008, 03:42 PM
yes i think she needs more of a nanny to be honest plus the child is really hard work and very demanding, cries all the time, mum pasifies with breast.

gonna have to have a long hard think about how to put this to her.....

cheers x

Blaze
22-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Really pleased you've decided against this!
Tasha:)

Spangles
22-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't do this either, it's just not good for your business, it would be really selfish of her to expect her to do this for you once she fully understands the implications on you.

I don't envy you having to tell her though but then again if she's a really good friend with your best interests at heart she should understand and be fine about it. Maybe you will be able to work something out together if you really want to look after this child - sounds like it could be a nightmare on all counts though!

Good luck.

sarah707
22-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I have learned to tell friends sorry but I am full (or only have vacancies for what they do not need)...

It's amazing how easily you learn to say the word 'no' after being messed about a few times! :D

Mollymop
22-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I am intersted in your post, Delly, as my cousin wants me to have her little girl when i am registered, as she is going back to work full time, but sometimes my aunt (the little girls gran) can have her as she works shifts as does the little girls mum, so it means I will be in the same position as you, Delly, not knowing how many hours a week i will have to have her. I think i'll have to knock it on the head unless we can come to some other kind of arrangement.
Maybe I could ask for a variation if I become full with my 5-7's, if I only have her for a few hours a week.
I'll have to wait and see.

miss muffit
22-02-2008, 04:51 PM
hi i agree with Deeb66 and it might spoil a good friendship...i would leave well alone... friendship or not its a bit cheeky of her to expect you to do hours needed and take up one of your precious places.... best of luck in telling her K:) :) :)

LittleMissSparkles
22-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I am sorry Delly but I personally wouldn't touch this one with a barge pole.

Firstly she is your friend.....many years of experience have taught me that friendship or family and business DO NOT WORK.

Secondly.....this child would be taking a full time place but only doing a few hours here and there.

What happens if you are busy doing something else at the times that she wants you to have the child....would she understand and say fair enough or would she expect you to drop everything......would you be able to cope with having to drop everything or would you get resentful.

It sounds to me what she needs is more like a creche!

If you really wanted to you could do it on the provision that it is only until you have a client to fill the place.....personally I wouldn't but of course it is up to you

Totally agree with Dee on this one x

Kelly
22-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Again I agree with Dee, I was in the same situation once, I explained to my friend that I had to think of my business and would not keep a space to do Ad hoc childcare, however if I had a space and she needed childcare I charged her the going rate and looked after her LO. It worked fine she understood that I could not keep a space unless she paid for it.

Tily Bud
22-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Again I agree with Dee, I was in the same situation once, I explained to my friend that I had to think of my business and would not keep a space to do Ad hoc childcare, however if I had a space and she needed childcare I charged her the going rate and looked after her LO. It worked fine she understood that I could not keep a space unless she paid for it.

This is just what i was going to suggest, tell her that you can help her when you have the space but not when you havent or she will have to pay a retainer for the spacen x