PDA

View Full Version : My mindee has been poached...

Mummits
13-08-2009, 09:08 AM
...before he even started (supposed to be beginning on 2 September).

I've been trying to get hold of his mum to arrange settling in sessions next week as agreed, but she phoned today to say she has decided to send him to someone her mum knows instead (she did say who and it's someone I know too, so not pleased to say the least).

But she has signed a full contract stipulating four weeks notice, so should I send her a bill (four weeks would have been 280), or just keep her deposit (100?)

Hebs
13-08-2009, 09:11 AM
do you have a settling in period on your contract??

if you do either party can end it without notice as per the contract

so personally i would just keep the deposit :thumbsup:

~Chelle~
13-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I think I would just keep the deposit.

Not entirely sure but think that it would be 4 weeks notice from the commencement of when the contract starts, ie 2nd September, you will have to check your contract to see what it says.

It sucks when that happens, hope you find someone else to take the space soon x

Mummits
13-08-2009, 09:23 AM
do you have a settling in period on your contract??

if you do either party can end it without notice as per the contract

so personally i would just keep the deposit :thumbsup:

No, I do offer settling in period if wanted, but they didn't, so it was to be straight in to "permanent" contract arrangements (though as I said, we had tentatively agreed to arrange some sort of unpaid visit(s) next week.

I thought everyone would say no to sending a bill - though it might help to make me feel less cross! I think I'll have to ask for a month's deposit next time:)

Hebs
13-08-2009, 09:24 AM
No, I do offer settling in period if wanted, but they didn't, so it was to be straight in to "permanent" contract arrangements (though as I said, we had tentatively agreed to arrange some sort of unpaid visit(s) next week.

I thought everyone would say no to sending a bill - though it might help to make me feel less cross! I think I'll have to ask for a month's deposit next time:)

oh if they turned down a settling period i think i'd be billing them :thumbsup:

balloon
13-08-2009, 10:00 AM
If they turned down a settling in period I'd bill them too, just don't hold your breath waiting for it to be paid :(

My non-starter just ignored all my attempts to get fees from her...

mummyroysof3
13-08-2009, 10:22 AM
ooh thats naughty of them, id keep the deposit for definate:thumbsup:

charlotte x

ZoeAlli
13-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Have you definately got the deposit? I mean there is no way they can withdraw it (cancel cheque?), you wouldn't want to lose that too! Has she signed your contracts? If so, you could try for the fees for a month's notice, although you've mentioned that the contract doesn't officially start until 2nd september. You could always compromise and ask for two week's fees instead!
I hope you get it sorted, nothing worse than thinking you've got your spaces filled and then finding out someone's let you down!

sunflower
13-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I think i would just keep the deposit and leave it at that to be honest with you thing is... if things dont work out with this other person looking after her child she might come back to you.
months deposit sounds like a good idea

ORKSIE
13-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Something similar happened to me.
I kept the deposit:thumbsup:
I write on the receipt "Not Refundable"

Mummits
13-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Something similar happened to me.
I kept the deposit:thumbsup:
I write on the receipt "Not Refundable"

That's a good idea too Orksie - I'll put that on my receipts next time.

In case anyone else is in the same position in future - I have just spoken to NCMA's free legal advice chap and he has confirmed I can only keep the deposit, not charge any "fees" since the service hadn't actually started (but there's no reason the deposit could not be set at a higher rate say equal to a month's fees in future.

...and I must get the cancellation in writing in case the parents have another change of heart and decide to deny cancelling :eek: , or if they won't put it in writing I'm going to have to write to them telling them they have cancelled. Some days this job just gives me a headache!