PDA

View Full Version : childs learning journey and parents want no photos taken

nikim
12-08-2009, 11:22 AM
i have had a little boy (he is 2) start with me about 3 months ago ,the parents requested at the very beginning that they didnt want me to take any photos of their child at all :( , (am guessing that this is because of the nursery where a member of staff was found to be taking inappropriate photos of the children), my only problem is that his learning journal is really boring , i normally have sections for obs, parent comments, wow moments, and of course loads of photos with captions realating to eyfs, but without the photos i feel that its going to be very empty and quite formal looking (iyswim), has anybody else got the same issue and how do you deal with it also if anyone has any ides how i can make it more interesting i would very much appreciate it thanks.

Tired
12-08-2009, 11:29 AM
you could try taking pictures of things he has done, but not actually with him in ti.

For example, a photo of the climbing frame with an arrow on it saying "I climbed this high- I felt really proud."

or photos of things he has made at craft sessions, etc.

hope that helps.

Gherkin
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
you could try taking pictures of things he has done, but not actually with him in ti.

For example, a photo of the climbing frame with an arrow on it saying "I climbed this high- I felt really proud."

or photos of things he has made at craft sessions, etc.

hope that helps.

That is what I would suggest too.

jeanybeany
12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
That's a really good idea already suggested.

Pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I can totally understand the parents reactions. I think whats been suggested is good :thumbsup: You could also put in stuff that he does/makes etc and perhaps pictures he has taken so he has total involvment.

Rubybubbles
12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
agree with others

photos of his work, equipment used etc etc

Must be hard for you though, I take so many photos, and the parents love them:)

nikim
12-08-2009, 03:24 PM
thanks for the replies , i dont know why i hadnt thought of that its so obvious:blush: also the idea about him taking photos is really good as i have just bought a kids digital camera, the hardest thing i think is that i have to exclude him from photos of group pics and also that the parents cant see the expression on his face when he is having fun :( and i feel that they are missing out but its their choice and i have to go along with it, thanks for your help :clapping:

Pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Perhaps over time they will come to re-build their trust in other people and will allow you to take photos and it might be worth broaching the subject with them further down the line.

Do you display photos on the wall? I have some lovely displays of the children in my care doing things (with permission), places we have been and the children lovel looking at them and talking about them - they love showing the parents. It might be worth doing something like that to show the parents that you are totally open about photos and the benefits of photographic evidence etc. But again its something that I can totally understand the parents have a major concern about.

Could you ask them to let you have a couple of photos to put in the learning journal (they could even do it) and you show them where the journals are stored etc....
Have you gone through with them where you store your pictures and who has access to them etc?

Dreean
14-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Maybe you could invite them to come along and take photos themselves so they are in control and then you could ask them for a few copies to put in or get them to put them in his learning journal that way your working in partnership with them too!